Megabass S Crank 1.2 vs 1.5?

From crankbaits to jerkbaits to wakebaits and more, TackleTour's new hardbait sub-forum has been a long time coming. Well, now your wait is over!
jerkbait22
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Megabass S Crank 1.2 vs 1.5?

Post by jerkbait22 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:56 am

I only have the 1.2 size and was thinking about getting one or two more colors for this season. Is there a consensus as to which size has the better action, or is there no difference? I was thinking about just ordering the 1.5 size for better casting distance, but wasn't sure if it would be any more or less effective.

Fishinfanatic115
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Megabass S Crank 1.2 vs 1.5?

Post by Fishinfanatic115 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:02 am

If I recall, the 1.2 has a wider action than the 1.5. The 1.5 is also 1/8oz heavier. I throw the 1.2 the vast majority of the time, however, so that's the one I'm used to.

spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spookybaits » Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:49 pm

In general, smaller/lighter squarebills will have better action than larger ones.

jerkbait22
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jerkbait22 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:03 am

spookybaits wrote:In general, smaller/lighter squarebills will have better action than larger ones.
So would you say you prefer the 1.2 over the 1.5 then?

cumara
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by cumara » Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:13 am

On average, I tend to catch more on the 1.2. On days when I'm catching a bunch on the 1.2, I will throw the 1.5 as well and I will catch some on it, but in general seem to get fewer bites.

spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spookybaits » Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:28 pm

jerkbait22 wrote:
spookybaits wrote:In general, smaller/lighter squarebills will have better action than larger ones.
I haven't fished these, but I'm familiar with them and what makes them tick. I've fished a bunch of other plastic square bills with 2 sizes(they're usually about 3/8oz small size, 1/2oz larger size), and I always opt for the smaller sizes if it's a bait that has action.

The larger versions are usually made and/or marketed for easier/farther casting. However, the larger size can be a better catcher if it matches the hatch better, particularly if your trying to mimic bluegill or something. But in general, I always opt for the smaller sizes.

M Perry
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by M Perry » Sat Mar 11, 2017 1:48 pm

spookybaits wrote:
jerkbait22 wrote:
I haven't fished these, but I'm familiar with them and what makes them tick. I've fished a bunch of other plastic square bills with 2 sizes(they're usually about 3/8oz small size, 1/2oz larger size), and I always opt for the smaller sizes if it's a bait that has action.

The larger versions are usually made and/or marketed for easier/farther casting. However, the larger size can be a better catcher if it matches the hatch better, particularly if your trying to mimic bluegill or something. But in general, I always opt for the smaller sizes.
The 3 sizes of the S Crank all have the same action. Obviously they are different in size but another feature is each larger size will run 1 to 2 1/2ft deeper all things considered. You do get better casting distance but again all 3 sizes share exact same action.
Personally I use the 1.5 size the most but use the 2.0 quite a bit too. Best bet is to choose the one your setup best handles and the one that best mimics the bait size or appeals to size of fish you can expect to catch on that particular body of water.

jerkbait22
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jerkbait22 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:41 am

What are some favorite colors for the s crank? I have the GP Sexy Shad and Secret Gill for clear water but thinking of picking up some other colors for stained water like sexy french pearl and fire craw/e2 craw. There might be not much difference but when would you pick Megabass Sexy Shad over Sexy French Pearl or vice versa?

papabassin
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by papabassin » Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:09 pm

------------------------>
8-)

Randingo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Randingo » Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:44 pm

jerkbait22 wrote:There might be not much difference but when would you pick Megabass Sexy Shad over Sexy French Pearl or vice versa?
The first part of your question is your answer. If you're trying to figure out the differences between these two colors for fishing situations, you're thinking too much about color. I love Megabass baits, and every finish has its unique appeal to a fisherman, but you have to cut yourself off somewhere in the process. I've never in my life been in a situation where a color difference that incremental had any impact on the bite. If you buy both, you'll end up having more confidence in one than the other, and you'll catch more fish on it, but it won't have anything to do with the differences in the finishes. Don't make the mistake I continue to make and rationalize buying every color that you like. It's not going to help you on the water.

Cracker
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Cracker » Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:45 pm

Looks like I need to pick up this Megabass bait. Some how I overlooked it.

M Perry
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by M Perry » Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:14 pm

jerkbait22 wrote:What are some favorite colors for the s crank? I have the GP Sexy Shad and Secret Gill for clear water but thinking of picking up some other colors for stained water like sexy french pearl and fire craw/e2 craw. There might be not much difference but when would you pick Megabass Sexy Shad over Sexy French Pearl or vice versa?

My overall favorite color in the S Crank is Sexy French Pearl. I also love some of the JDM colors like Fatty Oikawa, Kohoku Reaction and GG Bass.

Great baits and fish catchers.

jerkbait22
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jerkbait22 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:59 pm

Thanks guys. Picked up the E2 Craw in the 1.2 and Sexy French Pearl in the 1.5. I overlooked the French Pearl OB for many years in the Vision 110 until someone recommended it on this forum for clear water. The fish were choking that color this past fall on one of my reservoirs, so I hope the Sexy French Pearl in the S Crank 1.5 performs just as well.

M Perry - that Fatty Oikawa color is really nice, looks like it could imitate a few things like a baby sunfish, perch, or minnow. I was also thinking about the GG Kasumi Tiger color as there are a lot of perch in some of the places I frequent.

This is getting a bit off topic but I normally stick to opaque and translucent colors with cranks, I think I have one or two in my entire collection with a foil finish. What situations do/would you guys throw a crankbait with a foil finish?

Randingo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Randingo » Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:39 am

jerkbait22 wrote:
This is getting a bit off topic but I normally stick to opaque and translucent colors with cranks, I think I have one or two in my entire collection with a foil finish. What situations do/would you guys throw a crankbait with a foil finish?
Usually water with good visibility on sunny days with some wind breaking up the surface. I think foils flash too much on calm, sunny days.

Cracker
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Cracker » Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:35 am

How fast retrieve do you guys suggest for S-Crank?
Does it catch fish in open water or it must bounce of tree's limbs, stumps, etc?
My home lake has mostly clear water and relatively deep, in 10ft away from bank it can be 6-7ft of water, and we have very few laydowns.
Colors wise - I'm debating between Kohoku Reaction, Secret Gill or Sexy French Pearl. Primarily forage we have - blueback herring and shad.