Megabass S Crank 1.2 vs 1.5?

From crankbaits to jerkbaits to wakebaits and more, TackleTour's new hardbait sub-forum has been a long time coming. Well, now your wait is over!
Fishinfanatic115
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Megabass S Crank 1.2 vs 1.5?

Post by Fishinfanatic115 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:40 am

Cracker wrote:How fast retrieve do you guys suggest for S-Crank?
Does it catch fish in open water or it must bounce of tree's limbs, stumps, etc?
My home lake has mostly clear water and relatively deep, in 10ft away from bank it can be 6-7ft of water, and we have very few laydowns.
Colors wise - I'm debating between Kohoku Reaction, Secret Gill or Sexy French Pearl. Primarily forage we have - blueback herring and shad.
I've caught fish doing both, usually fish eating Secret Gill in cover, and the shad colors in open water. For the forage species you mentioned, I'd want to say Sexy French Pearl. I've thrown GP Sexy Shad a good amount, which is fairly similar. I haven't thrown my Kohoku Reaction S-Crank a ton, to be completely honest. Secret Gill has always done better for me in the cover, or at least in shallow water.

jerkbait22
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jerkbait22 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:44 am

Randingo - Makes sense. That's when I'll usually throw my jerkbaits with a foil finish. Also seems to help when the water has a stain to it.

Cracker - I'd listen to M Perry and probably go with Sexy French Pearl as an all around color to start with. I have the GP Sexy Shad in the 1.2. I've caught fish on it in the spring in clear water calm conditions where a crankbait wouldn't normally be my first choice.

Cracker
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Cracker » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:26 am

jerkbait22, Fishinfanatic115

Cool guys!
I'll go with Sexy French Pearl and size 1.2 for right now!

jerkbait22
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jerkbait22 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:10 am

I got my S Cranks today and the sexy french pearl is such a sweet color. Can't wait to put these to work this spring! Of course we are supposed to get more snow overnight in Northern NJ :crying:

Couple more weeks and we should be fishing

Randingo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Randingo » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:30 am

jerkbait22 wrote:I got my S Cranks today and the sexy french pearl is such a sweet color. Can't wait to put these to work this spring! Of course we are supposed to get more snow overnight in Northern NJ :crying:

Snow! :crying: I feel your pain. Last Saturday a friend went to Round Valley just to wet a line. No bass, but two rainbows 16"&19" on a jerkbait. A third broke the tip off his rod.

Fishinfanatic115
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Fishinfanatic115 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:52 pm

Randingo wrote:
jerkbait22 wrote:I got my S Cranks today and the sexy french pearl is such a sweet color. Can't wait to put these to work this spring! Of course we are supposed to get more snow overnight in Northern NJ :crying:

Snow! :crying: I feel your pain. Last Saturday a friend went to Round Valley just to wet a line. No bass, but two rainbows 16"&19" on a jerkbait. A third broke the tip off his rod.
I feel your pain. I'm also in Jersey, and I'm beyond itching to break my new swimbait combo in, but no dice. It seems like we're going back into winter, as opposed to moving into spring... This isn't possible, right? ](*,)

Big-Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Big-Bass » Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:09 am

We got 30" here in my part of PA. With another 3-6" coming today into tonight. I was already out in the boat three weeks ago when all the ice melted (it was in the 70s) and now everything is frozen back up. I am really wishing for Spring! Though I may not see my grass in my lawn for a few weeks at least!

Randingo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Randingo » Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:59 am

We've officially changed the subject of this thread from Megabass S-Cranks to a bunch of cranky northeasterers complaining about our crappy, late-onset winter. ](*,)

jerkbait22
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jerkbait22 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:04 am

Let me attempt to resuscitate this thread. While I've been stuck inside today I was watching a video where a pro angler mentioned any time he is around yellow perch he likes to throw something with chartreuse.

This made me think of the chartreuse blue back color. Since I fish mostly clear water I've never really thrown this color. I think I may have one or two crankbaits in said color.

So to relate this back to the S Crank - the Biwako See Through Chart color may work as a perch imitator. It's also semi translucent, so I wonder if this could be a good color when fish are on yellow perch. Does anyone throw this or similar colors in the northeast or where yellow perch are present? Just some thoughts on a snowy day :strface:

Randingo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Randingo » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:32 am

The classic crankbait color that has been thrown in waters with good perch populations for as long as I can remember is fire tiger. Think about it: it's just an extra gaudy, impressionistic version of a perch. I still throw variations of chartreuse in my crankbaits more than anything else, clear water or dark. I've never fished anywhere that I wouldn't consider throwing a chartreuse based crank, and I throw chartreuse with blue back more than any other variety. In stained or dirty water, it probably becomes more of a typical dark back, light sides and bottom baitfish color, but I've caught huge largemouths and smallies in super clear lakes on incredibly gaudy cranks both at home and in waters from Texas to Ontario. So I don't think you can go wrong picking up a crank in that color.
Last edited by Randingo on Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

antisaint
Angler
Angler

Post by antisaint » Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:38 pm

We fish alot of deep clear water lakes in the northeast for smallmouth. Sexy French pearl and Biwako see
Through Chart have been really good colors. But in the spring when the water has some stain to it
the E2 craw in the 1.2 size has been the best color for us no question about it.

Randingo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Randingo » Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:27 am

antisaint wrote:We fish alot of deep clear water lakes in the northeast for smallmouth. Sexy French pearl and Biwako see
Through Chart have been really good colors. But in the spring when the water has some stain to it
the E2 craw in the 1.2 size has been the best color for us no question about it.
I tend to throw more craw patterns in shallow and mid depth cranks than I do with deep divers. I'm not really sure why other than that I have more confidence with Craw patterns in shallow waters, and when I was most serious about refining my deep cranking, living and fishing in NC, we were all throwing half a dozen variations of chartreuse and also several shad patterns. That e2 Craw is an absolutely killer color, and it's often where I start in the spring when I'm throwing the S-Crank.

jerkbait22
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jerkbait22 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:18 am

I'm trying to do more crankbait fishing this year. My current collection is mostly natural shad and craw patterns since I fish a lot of clear water reservoirs. That's what I have confidence in but I guess I'll have to give some of the chartreuse patterns a shot. I'll have to add some chartreuse to the mix maybe starting with the S crank.

Fishinfanatic115
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Fishinfanatic115 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:01 am

jerkbait22 wrote:Let me attempt to resuscitate this thread. While I've been stuck inside today I was watching a video where a pro angler mentioned any time he is around yellow perch he likes to throw something with chartreuse.

This made me think of the chartreuse blue back color. Since I fish mostly clear water I've never really thrown this color. I think I may have one or two crankbaits in said color.

So to relate this back to the S Crank - the Biwako See Through Chart color may work as a perch imitator. It's also semi translucent, so I wonder if this could be a good color when fish are on yellow perch. Does anyone throw this or similar colors in the northeast or where yellow perch are present? Just some thoughts on a snowy day :strface:
I absolutely throw this and similar colors in dirty water when there are perch present. They have another color that is similar, just a solid finish (It's called Blue Back Chartreuse) that looks great in the S-Crank.
*EDIT*
They also have Mat Tiger (Firetiger) and Kasumi Tiger (Standard perch) which would also fit the bill. I'd imagine using the Mat Tiger in dirty water, and I like using the Kasumi Tiger in clearer conditions.

Cracker
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Cracker » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:28 am

Wondering why hardbait manufactures don't make crankbaits in black, black/blue, June Bug colors - staple colors in bassfishing.
I recall I still have Owner crankbait (forgot model name), and it is completely black.