Single hook size for LC 110?

From crankbaits to jerkbaits to wakebaits and more, TackleTour's new hardbait sub-forum has been a long time coming. Well, now your wait is over!
oops
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Single hook size for LC 110?

Post by oops » Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:05 am

Looking to try single hooks on my LC 110s for a while, had too many years of feeling guilty for small fish tearing up their mouths and angry saltwater fish trying to tear me up. The 110 uses size 6 trebles and Tackle Warehouse's smallest size for the Owner single hooks with the turned eye is size 6, which they suggest to replace a size 2 treble, so I'm worried they'll be way too big. Anyone have experience using single hooks on 110 sized baits and have good single hook suggestions? Will be fishing primarily saltwater, so they need to be sturdy.

soulfisher
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Single hook size for LC 110?

Post by soulfisher » Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:10 am

I haven't changed them on a 110 but I have on rapalas. I replaced size 4 hooks with the suggested size 1 hook from owner and I found that the replacement hook appeared to be way to small for my calibrated eyeball.

I was more concerned about the weight difference and hydrodynamics affecting my balsa bait more than i was concerned about matching the gap size of the hook and i wanted the most hook I could get away with. Just my recommendation, but go one size up, if not two sizes up.

jerkbait22
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jerkbait22 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:06 am

Your other option is to go up on the hook size but only replace the belly hook and leave the tail bare. This dependent on your quarry. I do a lot of saltwater striped bass fishing in the northeast and on some plugs we only run a belly hook and leave the tail bare or use a flag (feather, no hook). This is because they almost always attack the head of the bait. Conversely bluefish will almost always bite the tail.

You can do split ring to swivel to split ring on the belly so it hangs lower and is harder for the fish to get any leverage on the hook. This is a common rigging technique with the sebile magic swimmers. Not sure how this would effect the swimming action but maybe something to mess around with.

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:05 am

The only problem I've had with single hooks is, if the hooks are to big/long they will catch on the top of the lure and mess up your retrieve. This happened a lot with the new Rapala twitchin minnow, and is very annoying.

oops
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by oops » Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:32 pm

soulfisher wrote:I haven't changed them on a 110 but I have on rapalas. I replaced size 4 hooks with the suggested size 1 hook from owner and I found that the replacement hook appeared to be way to small for my calibrated eyeball.

I was more concerned about the weight difference and hydrodynamics affecting my balsa bait more than i was concerned about matching the gap size of the hook and i wanted the most hook I could get away with. Just my recommendation, but go one size up, if not two sizes up.
This is kinda what I was worried about. I'll order a couple different sizes and see what looks and works best. If any of the ones I order for 110s are too small, I can just put them on smaller baits :)
jerkbait22 wrote:Your other option is to go up on the hook size but only replace the belly hook and leave the tail bare. This dependent on your quarry.
This sounds like a good idea but I doubt it would work well for me as there are just such a wide variety of species that you never know whether the next fish will take the bait head first or grab the tail.
JBcrankaddict wrote:The only problem I've had with single hooks is, if the hooks are to big/long they will catch on the top of the lure and mess up your retrieve. This happened a lot with the new Rapala twitchin minnow, and is very annoying.
I've had the same problem even trying non-stock trebles with a different bend in them, or different sizes, I'll definitely watch out for this problem when trying out single hooks on the jerkbaits.