Vision 110 replacement hooks

From crankbaits to jerkbaits to wakebaits and more, TackleTour's new hardbait sub-forum has been a long time coming. Well, now your wait is over!
Bassfan22
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Vision 110 replacement hooks

Post by Bassfan22 » Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:03 am

I don't like the katsuage stock hooks. Smallies always bent the hooks and I loose fish. I'm going to give this hooks a try Gamakatsu Aaron Martens TGW finesse treble hook MH. What treble hooks do you guys recommend?

KlingerNOK
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Vision 110 replacement hooks

Post by KlingerNOK » Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:59 am

You are picking the right replacements, kinda... the Nano Finesse Gammy's are what I use. Great hook. I'm afraid the MH would make the 110's sink.

Bassfan22
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Bassfan22 » Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:34 am

KlingerNOK wrote:You are picking the right replacements, kinda... the Nano Finesse Gammy's are what I use. Great hook. I'm afraid the MH would make the 110's sink.
Thank you for replying. I was waiting for a response before I pulled the trigger on those hooks I'll buy the non MH. I watched the video on YouTube that TT has on the different hooks and sink rates. I was wondering what hooks are close in weight to the katsuage.

smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by smalljaw » Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:35 pm

The hooks on the 110 are thin wire, the bait was designed to be fished on spinning gear and/or light line. When you bend hooks that are light wire it isn't the hook that is the problem, you are using gear that is too heavy for what you're doing. That said, the Nano finesse are a little heavier but because the 110 is a slow floater it will end up making it suspend or a slow sink but it won't be the same as that bait is really dialed in when it comes to weight. I've replaced the hooks on my 110s with the VMC Barbarian outbarb hooks, just the front and back as I left the middle hook in place and it made the bait suspend really well under 50 degrees, 52 degree water temp and I got a slow sink.
Barlow's Tackle

Bassfan22
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Bassfan22 » Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:09 am

smalljaw wrote:The hooks on the 110 are thin wire, the bait was designed to be fished on spinning gear and/or light line. When you bend hooks that are light wire it isn't the hook that is the problem, you are using gear that is too heavy for what you're doing. That said, the Nano finesse are a little heavier but because the 110 is a slow floater it will end up making it suspend or a slow sink but it won't be the same as that bait is really dialed in when it comes to weight. I've replaced the hooks on my 110s with the VMC Barbarian outbarb hooks, just the front and back as I left the middle hook in place and it made the bait suspend really well under 50 degrees, 52 degree water temp and I got a slow sink.
I'm going to give that a try changing 2 hooks. I was using a Megabass BJ SFMS, Steez SV 103 spooled with 14 lbs supernatural mono. Whats your set up for the 110? Thanks

smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by smalljaw » Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:27 am

Bassfan22 wrote:
smalljaw wrote:The hooks on the 110 are thin wire, the bait was designed to be fished on spinning gear and/or light line. When you bend hooks that are light wire it isn't the hook that is the problem, you are using gear that is too heavy for what you're doing. That said, the Nano finesse are a little heavier but because the 110 is a slow floater it will end up making it suspend or a slow sink but it won't be the same as that bait is really dialed in when it comes to weight. I've replaced the hooks on my 110s with the VMC Barbarian outbarb hooks, just the front and back as I left the middle hook in place and it made the bait suspend really well under 50 degrees, 52 degree water temp and I got a slow sink.
I'm going to give that a try changing 2 hooks. I was using a Megabass BJ SFMS, Steez SV 103 spooled with 14 lbs supernatural mono. Whats your set up for the 110? Thanks
I use a G.Loomis JBR 752C jerkbait rod, Abu Garcia Revo Premier (2nd generation), and 10lb Silver Thread AN40 copolymer line. Yuki Ito said the 110 was actually designed to be used on spinning gear with 6lb line, the same can be said with a lot of jerkbaits on the market, they are made to be fished on both casting gear and spinning gear so the light wire hooks make sense. I have never bent out a light wire hook too badly while fighting a fish, my best hair jig is 1/16oz with a size 2 Owner 5318 hook and I've landed countless smallmouth over 5lbs with it and never had to straighten the hook out, the right set up for the right bait makes a huge difference. 14lb line is way, way too heavy for a 110, even 12 and 10 is heavy but if you go that heavy you need to use a little restraint on the hook set and if you can lay off the pressure then back the drag off to compensate.
Barlow's Tackle

Bassfan22
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Bassfan22 » Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:38 am

Yeah I'm going to try lighter line and maybe adjust the drag. Last year was the first time that I actually fished a jerkbait. I'm hooked on the 110 now. Thanks for sharing all that good info. I appreciate it.