Saltwater Lipless Twitch Baits for Bass?

From crankbaits to jerkbaits to wakebaits and more, TackleTour's new hardbait sub-forum has been a long time coming. Well, now your wait is over!
Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Saltwater Lipless Twitch Baits for Bass?

Post by Jeffbro999 » Fri Sep 02, 2016 4:34 am

Anyone using lipless twitch baits for bass fishing? These lures are usually slow sink and then are supposed to suspend around 2' deep, though some don't. Some examples include the Mirrolure Mr17, Rapala Twitchin Rap and the new Rapala Twitchin Mullet. I also have a buddy that makes some from wood and they have been amazing. They have a hard rolling action when twitched, and a very nice flutter on the fall that gets bit regularly. On a slow cranking retrieve, they have a s-swim action that looks a lot like a small glide bait. They come in slow, medium and fast sink to work the different depths. These lures are deadly on the shallow grass flats in the summer, and worked very slow in the winter for big, shallow Speckled trout. Haven't had a chance to try them out for bass yet, but am gonna throw one around next time. What do you guys think? Let me know if you are using something that is working well for you, would like to hear about it. Thanks!

i_am_R2
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Saltwater Lipless Twitch Baits for Bass?

Post by i_am_R2 » Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:29 am

Only had a chance to test it briefly but based on the action, sounds similar:

http://www.megabass.co.jp/site/products/x-wave/

They have a saltwater version as well. Its a cool bait from the little time I was able to cast it around and might be worth taking a look at

toporanger
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by toporanger » Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:43 pm

Ive used the mirrodine (17mr) and the catch 2000 for bass several times. They work great over grass beds in 5 foot of water, just like using them for speckled trout. there are two sizes of mirrodine and I like the xl for early season pike.

I have always had better luck with sharp twitches like using an xrap with 2-5 second pauses. With the mirrodine if you just twitch the tip on tight line the lure will actually turn back and forth and BARELY move forward, Ive had success doing this around edges of docks and visible structure keeping the lure in the strike zone for what seems like forever till the fish gets pissed off and strikes.

stevenhatchy
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by stevenhatchy » Sun Dec 04, 2016 3:43 am

Those lures work great for bass. I use them all the time in my farm ponds as they match the profile of a bream better than stick baits. It seems like the fish don't know they are for saltwater!

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:57 am

i_am_R2 wrote:Only had a chance to test it briefly but based on the action, sounds similar:

http://www.megabass.co.jp/site/products/x-wave/

They have a saltwater version as well. Its a cool bait from the little time I was able to cast it around and might be worth taking a look at
That's a sweet looking lure. The Sunshine Gill looks just like a Croaker, gonna have to try one of these. Thanks for the recommendation.

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:22 am

toporanger wrote:Ive used the mirrodine (17mr) and the catch 2000 for bass several times. They work great over grass beds in 5 foot of water, just like using them for speckled trout. there are two sizes of mirrodine and I like the xl for early season pike.

I have always had better luck with sharp twitches like using an xrap with 2-5 second pauses. With the mirrodine if you just twitch the tip on tight line the lure will actually turn back and forth and BARELY move forward, Ive had success doing this around edges of docks and visible structure keeping the lure in the strike zone for what seems like forever till the fish gets pissed off and strikes.
Thanks for the tips! I have fished the BF1(purple lure pictured) in similar circumstances and it has worked well. Fishing it over hydrilla in 3-6' has been an awesome bite. The best bite I have found with it though is fishing down hydrilla "walls" on the main river channel during summer. Working it quickly down those edges has been hard for them to pass up.

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:24 am

stevenhatchy wrote:Those lures work great for bass. I use them all the time in my farm ponds as they match the profile of a bream better than stick baits. It seems like the fish don't know they are for saltwater!
Very true! A few of these will always be in my box in the future.