Freshwater Hard Baits for Saltwater use...???

From crankbaits to jerkbaits to wakebaits and more, TackleTour's new hardbait sub-forum has been a long time coming. Well, now your wait is over!
OG_ZILLION
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Freshwater Hard Baits for Saltwater use...???

Post by OG_ZILLION » Thu Sep 01, 2016 3:54 pm

Will your standard freshwater hard baits (Lucky Craft, MegaBass, IMA etc.)...stand up to saltwater abuse...???

As in...will the stock hooks, split rings and body of the bait...not break when fighting against Tuna, Yellowtail, Barracuda, Ling Cod, Halibut and/or Dorado up to 20-30 lbs...???

Just upgrade the hook and split ring and I should be fine right...???

I want to buy some jerkbaits for saltwater use on local 3/4 - 1 day trips for local yellowtail, tuna and Barracuda.

I am originally a freshwater angler and recently have gotten into more saltwater. But...I don't like the saltwater jerk baits I see at my local tackle shop. I like freshwater style jerkbaits a lot more and I think they might even be pretty effective for saltwater use.

I know Barracuda got some "MEAN" teeth. For sure...I should upgrade the hooks for Barracuda...right...???

Help...?!?!

Strewth
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Freshwater Hard Baits for Saltwater use...???

Post by Strewth » Thu Sep 01, 2016 5:43 pm

I use Luckycraft pointers, Jackall squad minnows and Rapala X-raps (size 10) with good results on large barramundi and other tropical species. I use stronger split rings and gamakatsu hypershield RB H trebles (or VMC/Owner single lure hooks in size 1/0 or above). Need a bit of trial and error to find the largest hook size that can be tolerated by each lure without weakening its action. Megabass lures are more problematic, as they often require lighter gauge hooks in order to work well (esp the Vision 110).

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Fri Sep 02, 2016 3:57 am

Those lures should be fine, like you said just change the split rings and hooks if necessary. We regularly catch 20lb+ saltwater fish(striper, redfish, jacks) on LC Pointers and Flash Minnows and have no issues with the actual lure breaking, just some bent hooks on occasion. I tend to use lighter tackle than most do when fishing for these bigger fish. Here's one on a Flash Minnow 95.

Texas-Rigged
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Texas-Rigged » Sat Sep 10, 2016 4:34 pm

Try a YoZuri crystal minnow-very simular to fresh water jerkbaits. Made to take the abuse. Large X-raps are a good chose also, as mentioned.

earthworm77
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by earthworm77 » Mon Oct 10, 2016 3:16 pm

Yup, I use pointers all the time for SW fish, no issues.

paulito
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by paulito » Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:46 pm

If you want sturdy, look for line through hardbaits. For example, duo realistic has asalt jerkbaits