What's the best crank for clear water

From crankbaits to jerkbaits to wakebaits and more, TackleTour's new hardbait sub-forum has been a long time coming. Well, now your wait is over!
Jdmbassman
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

What's the best crank for clear water

Post by Jdmbassman » Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:31 am

Hard wobble cranks seem better suited to stained water where the fish rely on vibration to feed.

I've zoned in on the PH Custom Lures Skinny P and the Lowen's Dollar Bill but I haven't had much success as of yet. I would be interested to hear people's choice 3/8oz to 1/2oz cranks for fishing shallow to mid depths in clear water.

It would be great to know what colors also work for you and whether these change with season/water temp.

Tavery5
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: What's the best crank for clear water

Post by Tavery5 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:39 am

Wiggle warts have always worked in the clear waters of the White river chain of lakes. Beaver, Bull Shoals, Table Rock and Taneycomo.

smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by smalljaw » Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:49 pm

Flat sided baits have always been my cold water cranks as well as clear water cranks. Shallow water I use the Rapala DT Flat 3 and for mid depths I like the CP Custom baits series 2 in the silver shad pattern, I have 2 dozen of them with most being the silver shad as it seems to be the best clear water color, sexy shad is good if the water has a small amount of color.

timsford
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by timsford » Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:54 am

My favorites are shad raps, pre repair warts, bandits, rapala dt series, and zoom cranks. I like the flat side balsa baits if imitating shad and the others for imitating craws. I catch fish in clear water on all types of cranks, both flat sided and wider wobbling ones. I think a lot of it depends on what the fish are feeding on and how active they are

timsford
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by timsford » Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:56 am

My favorites are shad raps, pre repair warts, bandits, rapala dt series, and zoom cranks. I like the flat side balsa baits if imitating shad and the others for imitating craws. I catch fish in clear water on all types of cranks, both flat sided and wider wobbling ones. I think a lot of it depends on what the fish are feeding on and how active they are

barrys
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by barrys » Sat Aug 20, 2016 12:16 pm

Shad Rap of course and I also like Flap Slaps they are bullet proof and have great stock hooks on them all you have to do is take em out of the package and fish em !

jerkbait22
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jerkbait22 » Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:46 pm

barrys wrote:Shad Rap of course and I also like Flap Slaps they are bullet proof and have great stock hooks on them all you have to do is take em out of the package and fish em !
Are you talking the regular flap slap or the diving one (or both)?

barrys
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by barrys » Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:58 am

I've only used the diving one and seems all of the shad patterns catch fish really well