Jackall squad minnow 80

From crankbaits to jerkbaits to wakebaits and more, TackleTour's new hardbait sub-forum has been a long time coming. Well, now your wait is over!
Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Jackall squad minnow 80

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sat Jul 23, 2016 3:06 pm

Curiosity got the best of me so I picked up a few. Fished them this past Thursday and Friday. Caught a few fish, but I have to say - These jerkbaits look fantastic while they dance. I'm very impressed. They suspend perfect as well. Only time will tell, but I think these will climb the list of favorites for me. They behave like something a smallie would want to chew on and I'm thinking they will be productive most seasons given the versatility I've seen so far. Now if I can just manage to put down the paddle tails long enough to be consistent with them :big grin:

jerkbait22
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Jackall squad minnow 80

Post by jerkbait22 » Sun Jul 24, 2016 12:14 am

I'm in NJ and love fishing jerkbaits, but I'm not able to catch fish on them between the spawn and in the fall when the water gets down to the low 60's.

I read an article about using jerkbaits in clear water in the summer retrieving them ultra fast for smallmouth. I tried this but to no avail. What situation are you fishing them in and what kind of retrieve were you using?

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sun Jul 24, 2016 5:08 am

jerkbait22 wrote:I'm in NJ and love fishing jerkbaits, but I'm not able to catch fish on them between the spawn and in the fall when the water gets down to the low 60's.

I read an article about using jerkbaits in clear water in the summer retrieving them ultra fast for smallmouth. I tried this but to no avail. What situation are you fishing them in and what kind of retrieve were you using?
Clear water smallmouth, just before dark. Fast, erratic retrieve June and July. Come August when the temps are steady hot forget about it. I won't fish jerkbaits again till October, but my retrieve will change to more of a mid pace with pauses. April is the only other month I fish them and I slow it way down with very long suspend times.

jerkbait22
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jerkbait22 » Sun Jul 24, 2016 5:22 am

I haven't tried them at dusk; I almost always have a popper or spook tied on at those times. For me I catch on jerkbaits from ice out until May and then again October/November and sometimes into December depending on the weather.

When I tried fishing them extremely fast in the summer I noticed a few followers but couldn't get them to commit.

silversix
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by silversix » Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:29 am

They're insane for walleye and SM bass, here in Canada. Perch and Aurora Black color is :shock:

timsford
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by timsford » Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:17 am

I use her baits year round for smallmouth, walleye, and hybrids and love this bait! These, the pointer 78, and x80 trick darter are all personal faves of mine, but I catch more on the jackall on average than the other 2. I fish tailwaters below 2 local dams a lot and always catch fish on jerks in current. These get the nod when the fish want a suspender

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:44 am

Right on guys. One sharp bait both in and out of the water for sure. Where are you finding them? I've only seen this particular size on Ebay.

RGMatt
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by RGMatt » Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:17 am

Hog just ordered a couple of these myself. I have a good feeling about these for river smallies. Keep us posted on them. BTW I hear ya about the paddle tails. The smallies flat out love these things. Smallies were even taking them with water temps in the low 30s this winter. And so much easier on the fishing elbow compared to tubes and hair jigs

The trick darter has been great also (but watch where you throw them when ledge rock is close) and of course pointers and xraps are a mainstay in the boat. Picked up a couple dicontinued xcalibers this weekend too, they catch fish too

Jerkbait
I fish the D and when it comes to summertime jerks, fish them as fast and erratic as possible in or just next to hard current. And Fish them straight down river on seams with hard erratic jerks and short pauses. Its an onagain off again bite where one day they wont touch anything but flukes and plastics and the next day they wont touch the fluke but nail hard jerks all day. Xrap 8 in rusty craw is one of my most productive colors when fishing them like this.

Matt

slime king
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by slime king » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:32 pm

I picked up a few when TW had them on sale. I'm hoping they will work similiar to a pointer 78 in action and running depth. Found it strange that two plastic beads create the rattle on this bait.

antisaint
Angler
Angler

Post by antisaint » Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:08 pm

I'd agree the squad minnow 80 looks fantastic for smallmouth .But I'm kinda hesitant to pick a few up,
I have a couple 95 squad minnows and they don't suspend at all without alot of tinkering.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:32 pm

RGMatt wrote:Hog just ordered a couple of these myself. I have a good feeling about these for river smallies. Keep us posted on them. BTW I hear ya about the paddle tails. The smallies flat out love these things. Smallies were even taking them with water temps in the low 30s this winter. And so much easier on the fishing elbow compared to tubes and hair jigs

The trick darter has been great also (but watch where you throw them when ledge rock is close) and of course pointers and xraps are a mainstay in the boat. Picked up a couple dicontinued xcalibers this weekend too, they catch fish too

Jerkbait
I fish the D and when it comes to summertime jerks, fish them as fast and erratic as possible in or just next to hard current. And Fish them straight down river on seams with hard erratic jerks and short pauses. Its an onagain off again bite where one day they wont touch anything but flukes and plastics and the next day they wont touch the fluke but nail hard jerks all day. Xrap 8 in rusty craw is one of my most productive colors when fishing them like this.

Matt
Yeah, the 80s are really nice. Perfect size, they look good (natural) . I got into a mess of Browns with them as well. Switched from the good ole X Rap they were following and curious about. Didn't take long before they were getting after the 80. Can't put my finger on it, and the fish don't talk, but my original feeling was accurate. I picked up a few different Jdm patterns as well. I've been using the Dowzvido here and there as well. I'm just really sold on Jackall baits across the board. My 80s suspend perfect. A standout jerkbait. I'll keep around for the long haul.

Strewth
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Strewth » Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:45 pm

Be warned, they don't like being left exposed to hot sun. Great lure, but I've had a few of them "blow up" on me after being left on the deck.

slime king
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by slime king » Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:17 am

Interesting that the 80's suspend and the 95's seem to be slow sinking or slow risers from the few people I have talked to. I would think the smaller bait would have been much more weight critical than the larger model.

versus158
Angler
Angler

Post by versus158 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:57 am

Kind of digging this one out of the depths but TW have all the 80 squadminnows out for 5$ a piece !