Hard Black Baits

From crankbaits to jerkbaits to wakebaits and more, TackleTour's new hardbait sub-forum has been a long time coming. Well, now your wait is over!
goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Hard Black Baits

Post by goldrod » Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:02 am

I know you can catch fish on black lures no matter the water color but as I was looking at tackle to try and salvage my day,
Dou Realis has some black Jerkbaits and I was thinking about getting them. Ive never considered using them until i thought about plastics. But I've never seen anyone catch anything on a black jerkbait. I know an all black jig will work, even and all black s/b at times but under what conditions would you choose to use a black j/b?

Has anyone any experience with hard baits that are black ?

I had every black dou Realis j/b in the cart but, i had to pause and inquire.

toporanger
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Hard Black Baits

Post by toporanger » Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:06 am

Ive caught many largemouth bass while fishing with black suicks and other big black baits while fishing for pike and muskie. All my moving topwaters I prefer to use black mainly due to confidence. I had to go out to my tacklebox and look and the only black "bass" hard bait i had was a rattle bait. I think the last time I used that was in muddy water at night on the Mississippi.

zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zodiak311 » Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:49 pm

I really like the black Depps Buzzjets. Very deadly on darker days.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:25 pm

have you ever tired a black j/b?
seems counter intuitive to me...

smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by smalljaw » Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:05 am

I've done really well with all black square bills, topwaters and jerkbaits. I have an older Yo-Zuri Crystal Minnow in a color called Holo-Black, it is all black but the sides are translucent with some type of mylar or something that gives the bait a holographic look when it reflects light but on overcast days it is black and it works in clear to lightly stained water. I have a solid black custom painted Pop'R that is tough to beat during dark days in just about any water clarity, and the square bill I've done well with is a custom painted Cotton Cordell Big-O. I call black the universal color, it shows up in dirty water but is still natural in clear water, and around 1998 or so we had the same thoughts about how good black plastics are so why not a black hard baits and I set out to have some painted. The only bait we didn't have to paint was the Yo-Zuri but that came along in 2003 or 2004, before that it was a custom painted Rattlin' Rogue suspending and that too worked, it actually was good in clear water. The one thing I can tell you is that while the black jerkbait worked, it seemed other baits were better, sometimes it was the more natural ones and other times it was the brighter colors but the black still worked ok, and it was enough that I keep at least 1 black topwater, jerkbiat and square bill in the box.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Sat Jun 11, 2016 2:26 am

I have Spooks, cranks, and all kinds of hard swimbaits that I have painted black for night fishing. They catch fish during the day in low light also. The DD22 custom painted black is an old night fishing standby here in SoCal night tournaments. I've never fished a black jerkbait though. I wouldn't hesitate to throw one. I like a little red in the throat and some blue or purple glitter on my black hardbaits.

timsford
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by timsford » Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:20 pm

I use a color on long A's when night fishing for stripes and hybrids called burple. It's black back with dark purple belly. I've caught LM, Sm, trout and walleye on it also and it works great on dark night.

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:37 am

I spray painted a Mann's Minus 1 solid black, clear coated it and replaced the crappy stock hooks with ones that actually penetrate jaw cartilage :lol: ... It gets crushed over submerged weedbeds on overcast days and night time situations where a top water might be used.

Solid black is a very productive color for virtually any type of bait.

Randingo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Randingo » Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:41 am

I could easily repeat what many others have said, but black flat out works, regardless of the type of lure you throw. Black is always a good option in low light, but I think pressured fish see black hard baits--especially jerkbaits--far less frequently than most other colors.

SHRIMPER
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by SHRIMPER » Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:40 am

zodiak311 wrote:I really like the black Depps Buzzjets. Very deadly on darker days.
+1