Evergreen Side Step

From crankbaits to jerkbaits to wakebaits and more, TackleTour's new hardbait sub-forum has been a long time coming. Well, now your wait is over!
jerkbait22
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Evergreen Side Step

Post by jerkbait22 » Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:41 am

Does anyone have experience with these? I did a search but couldn't find any info. I purchased two a few years back but have only fished them sparingly and haven't pulled in any bass on them yet

Baik
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Evergreen Side Step

Post by Baik » Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:42 am

Love these jerkbaits. Probably my favorite. As advertised there a great shallow water jerkbait. I like the 95 for where I fish because it only runs about 3 ft and this bait also deflects really well. Sometimes I get it too shallow on rock and I've never got one hung up. I think the best feature of this bait is when you pause. It backs up a bit and sllllooooowly rises. They can't stand that. The stripers like it too!

Matt

jerkbait22
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jerkbait22 » Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:52 pm

Are you using the standard (floating) version or the SF (slow float) version? I have the standard in the regular size, was thinking about maybe getting one in the 95 size but haven't caught any on the regular size yet to justify the purchase. My plan was to fish them sort of like a rapala floating minnow that I could cast on a baitcaster.

The action underwater looks good, it has a nice wide darting action but so far I have only caught pickerel on it.

Baik
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Baik » Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:18 am

The bigger sidesteps come in both standard and slow floating. The 95 is the standard and then they have the 95sp which is the suspending version. I did some research before buying some of these baits and some people claimed they were hard to cast or at least get any sort of distance with them. I didn't find that to be the case... my first outing with them was from shore using my 8' steez xt cranking rod on 15 flouro and can launch these little baits a pretty good distance. They weigh 3/8oz, have the internal weight system and I find them to cast very well with casting gear.

Matt

cure-hb
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by cure-hb » Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:22 am

Baik wrote:Love these jerkbaits. Probably my favorite. As advertised there a great shallow water jerkbait. I like the 95 for where I fish because it only runs about 3 ft and this bait also deflects really well. Sometimes I get it too shallow on rock and I've never got one hung up. I think the best feature of this bait is when you pause. It backs up a bit and sllllooooowly rises. They can't stand that. The stripers like it too!

Matt
which one is better if you compare with MB vision 110?

Baik
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Baik » Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:38 am

I can't say which is better as I've never used a 110. I'm not afraid to let that sidestep bang off the rocks and grind on the bottom. From talking to people and doing research it seemed to me that the 110 may not b as durable in this situation. That's the only reason I haven't used the 110. I'd hate to jerk that thing into the bottom and have it come back with no lip and turn it into a $20 key chain...

Matt

jerkbait22
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jerkbait22 » Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:19 pm

I think the 110 would be better when the water is colder. It has a tighter side to side motion than the side step. When the fish are more active I could see the side step working better since it darts pretty far from left to right. I did catch one largemouth on the side step last week in cloudy conditions. What I like about it is that you can vary the retrieve between a twitch bait floating on the surface and then give it a couple good hard jerks like you would a normal jerkbait.

So I think you need to have both. I did break off a lip on a 110 when it made contact with a rock under the water. I contacted megabass and sent in the broken lure. Few weeks later I got a new one back.

I'd also look at the Duo Realis 120SP as I did very well with them this spring. Dives a little deeper than the vision 110; somewhere around 4-7 feet.

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:57 am

The Side Step was well made but I didn't catch any fish with it.

cure-hb
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by cure-hb » Sat Jul 16, 2016 7:41 am

side step is not a cheap lure, don't even think you will lose it, so you can through a 110 with no pressure. cheers!

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:18 am

I've recently purchased a few of these (95sp) and really like them. The side to side walk the dog action is impressive, they are very loud with lots of rattles and run very shallow. Mine do not suspend though, they float very quickly to the surface. Have been playing around with hooks trying to get it weighted correctly and it's just not happening. Will work great during the summer moving these fast with no pauses, but seems to be a no go during the winter. Anybody else have this problem?

jerkbait22
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jerkbait22 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:58 pm

JB I don't believe they are designed to suspend, mine are floaters. I did catch a few bass on mine early fall before I switched over to suspending jerkbaits when it got colder.

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:30 am

jerkbait22 wrote:JB I don't believe they are designed to suspend, mine are floaters. I did catch a few bass on mine early fall before I switched over to suspending jerkbaits when it got colder.
Thanks for the reply! Figured the SP in the product name meant suspending, should have done my homework I guess. I will have to stick with my Smash Minnows and Flash Minnows in the colder months.

jerkbait22
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jerkbait22 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:06 am

I originally bought them to try and fish over submerged weedbeds in the late spring but ended up defaulting to the megabass vision 110 this year instead since I have so much confidence in that lure.

For a suspending bait definitely check out the megabass vision 110. Clear water go with pro blue or HT Ito Tennessee Shad. I recently started using French Pearl OB this fall at the suggestion of someone on this board and they were choking it so that's a new favorite for me.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:02 am

Not to highjack this thread, but have any of you used the Imakatsu Riprizer? I was thinking about ordering the Riprizer 90 and the Sidestep 95. They look very similar in action on video.