Headbanger Lures

From crankbaits to jerkbaits to wakebaits and more, TackleTour's new hardbait sub-forum has been a long time coming. Well, now your wait is over!
BucketHunter
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Headbanger Lures

Post by BucketHunter » Sun May 29, 2016 12:10 pm

Did they achieve the holy grail of true erratic swimming action?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlt4ojQCLng

Randingo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Headbanger Lures

Post by Randingo » Mon May 30, 2016 5:40 am

The action does look amazing! The cosmetics are more like what I'm accustomed to seeing in musky baits, and that may hold it back a little in the bass market, but I think I'll be checking one out.

BucketHunter
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BucketHunter » Tue May 31, 2016 8:03 am

It's def a water wolf bait, but the concept seems to work in reality, and is so simple I can't believe it hasn't been thought of, or at least executed well before.
A lot of gaudy paint and flash, but if you just look at the silhouette in the water, and imagine a nicely painted white belly/dark back pattern, from below, it's going to look just like a real fish, in a way that I haven't seen a bait do so yet. Pike smash nearly anything so such intricate action isn't really necessary, but I think the big bait bass market could really do something with the theory of the design, especially in the hands of one of the really talented swimbait makers.

toporanger
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by toporanger » Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:59 pm

I got my headbanger lure in last week. I will be using it starting Saturday on leech lake. If you don't like gaudy firetiger (not sure when firetiger became gaudy) they now have a white and blue color that I may end up getting for shad lakes.

I disagree that the water wolf doesn't need such intricate action. For little ones yes, big ones are smart so I believe it should help. I'll let everyone know how it works out when I get back.

Randingo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Randingo » Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:58 am

toporanger wrote:I disagree that the water wolf doesn't need such intricate action. For little ones yes, big ones are smart so I believe it should help. I'll let everyone know how it works out when I get back.
Exactly right. Trophy pike, especially in pressured waters, are damn hard to catch, and an angler needs every tool available to get them to bite.

toporanger
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by toporanger » Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:15 am

No takers yet but God it looks good in the water. Of interest is if you really burn it, the lure tracks hard maybe 2 feet then reverses and you get a huge back and forth swim pattern. It stays within a foot of the surface when doing this and can occasionally break the surface and ruin the action. Only issue is rarely the tail hooks on the rear hook and the action is gone.

We are fighting 20mph constant winds at the moment.