Medium diving baits - Which ones do you use

From crankbaits to jerkbaits to wakebaits and more, TackleTour's new hardbait sub-forum has been a long time coming. Well, now your wait is over!
smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Medium diving baits - Which ones do you use

Post by smalljaw » Mon May 23, 2016 4:09 am

I'm interested in hearing what your best medium divers are, and to me medium divers are 6' to 12' but I realize 14' and 15' can be considered medium depth as well. The biggest reason is that I seem to be in a time warp, I grabbed a few Bagley Sunny B cranks last year and they've been great so far but I rely on the Rapala DT-6, DT-10, and the Bomber Model 4A, 6A, and 7A that my boxes look like they're from the 90s. The thing is, I haven't really found any baits that catch fish as well and don't cause my wallet to become a lot lighter when I lose one. So, I'm asking what you guys use most, I'm going to try to get a box together that is newer baits and then I can do an honest assessment of how well they do versus my golden oldies. My shallow bait boxes as well as my jerkbait boxes are filled with new offerings but as I said, nothing has made me want any medium divers, or maybe I'm just not paying enough attention.

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Medium diving baits - Which ones do you use

Post by Jeffbro999 » Mon May 23, 2016 5:27 am

I really like the LC SKT MR and DR, and the SKT mini MR and DR for mid depth cranks. They deflect off wood really well, have a nice tight action to them, and cast easily and very far. MR dives to around 5-6' and the DR down to 10-12'. The lips are different than most cranks (especially the DR's)almost like a deeper square bill.

jerkbait22
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jerkbait22 » Mon May 23, 2016 10:36 am

I used my evergreen wild hunch 5 for the first time yesterday. It came through cover pretty well, the majority of times if I got snagged I would give it line and it would back out. I only had to use the lure retriever once. Caught a few fish on it when not much was working. I plan on adding the WH8 to the lineup as well.

Pen3
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Pen3 » Mon May 23, 2016 2:00 pm

jerkbait22 wrote:I used my evergreen wild hunch 5 for the first time yesterday. It came through cover pretty well, the majority of times if I got snagged I would give it line and it would back out. I only had to use the lure retriever once. Caught a few fish on it when not much was working. I plan on adding the WH8 to the lineup as well.
Same here i have my mid cranks almost entirely Evergreen. Half of them are bought second hand to save some money. Initially i was also afraid they would get hung up like my other cranks and lose $, but after having a few and haven't lost one yet, I decided to get more.

Farnorth
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Farnorth » Mon May 23, 2016 10:56 pm

I have a variety from megabass now and they deflect well for me. I bought one of those larger slide down your line type lure retrievers just in case but haven't had a snag I couldn't pull out yet. Griffon MR, and Diving Flap Slap get the most use where I am.

Pen3
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Pen3 » Tue May 24, 2016 12:53 am

Farnorth wrote:I have a variety from megabass now and they deflect well for me. I bought one of those larger slide down your line type lure retrievers just in case but haven't had a snag I couldn't pull out yet. Griffon MR, and Diving Flap Slap get the most use where I am.
The Flap Slap is amazing, but very pricey since you can never find then second hand.

jerkbait22
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jerkbait22 » Tue May 24, 2016 8:44 am

With the diving flap slap do you guys just throw that in the pre-spawn? Or does it work year round? I've heard it's comparable almost to a shad rap

mprestonSEK
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by mprestonSEK » Wed May 25, 2016 4:43 am

I have had a lot of success throwing the new Berkley Digger this year

angry john
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by angry john » Wed May 25, 2016 11:48 am

I use the spro little Jon MD and the kvd xd baits. I also have a few Normans.

Randingo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Randingo » Fri May 27, 2016 4:32 am

Spro Little John MD, XL, Fat Papa 55, and Rock Crawler are all great baits worth trying.

Randingo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Randingo » Fri May 27, 2016 4:49 am

I forgot to mention Storm Arashi. The square bill 5 doesn't quite hit 6', but it comes close. The Arashi Flat is also quite good. I like pretty much every bait that's been mentioned in this thread and have had success with pretty much all of them. Though not a "modern" bait, the Bandit lineup still works great, too.

btune
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by btune » Tue Jun 07, 2016 5:21 am

I like the Fat Free Shads. They come in a number of sizes so you can pick the depth you want up to a size 8 I believe. And the Model A still works too!

johnnybassboat
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by johnnybassboat » Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:09 am

I throw a Rapala ccr-8 for smallmouth quite a bit, it runs a little deeper than a DT-6. I also throw a few Duo Realis M-65 8A. That is about all the deeper I need in the river around here.

dirtygeary
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by dirtygeary » Sun Jul 17, 2016 2:40 am

I like spro little johns