Small wakebaits?

From crankbaits to jerkbaits to wakebaits and more, TackleTour's new hardbait sub-forum has been a long time coming. Well, now your wait is over!
oops
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Small wakebaits?

Post by oops » Wed May 18, 2016 3:12 pm

What are some of your favorite wakebaits on the market at 5" or under? The only ones I've ever really used are the 9" MS Slammer targetting largemouth and stripers and the jitterbug for largemouth in a small pond I used to fish. I'm interested in trying some shorter, slimmer baits, minnow shaped baits in saltwater in the local bays to see if I can offer some of the more toothy critters something a bit different than what they're used to seeing, but I really don't know much about what's out there.

smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Small wakebaits?

Post by smalljaw » Wed May 18, 2016 8:39 pm

The ones I normally use are either the crankbait style or the 5" Cotton Cordell Red Fin. The Red Fin was decent once I figured out the best way to use it but it seemed to best in the mid fall. The crankbait style of Wake bait works all year for me except in the cold water period but from 60 degree water temps in spring to high 50s in fall, it is a killer option. My favorites have been the Mann's Waker Elite for fast presentations and the Storm Arashi wake crank for slower presentations.

Randingo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Randingo » Thu May 19, 2016 1:39 am

Jackall Mikey (5.5") or Mikey Jr. (3.8") should do the job. The new Mijey 140 may also work, but it actually tends to dive, although less than a foot. I've had good success with the original style Mikeys but haven't tried the 140 yet.

389Maverick
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 389Maverick » Tue May 24, 2016 1:10 am

Megabass I-Jack
Megabass I-Loud
Megabass Type-X
Megabass Funky Flipper
Ima Roumba
Deps Buzzjet
Imakatsu Devil Ripper Zinga (not exactly small, but minnow shaped).
Imakatsu Waddle buggy

;) hope this helps!