OSP bent minnow

From crankbaits to jerkbaits to wakebaits and more, TackleTour's new hardbait sub-forum has been a long time coming. Well, now your wait is over!
jmb27
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

OSP bent minnow

Post by jmb27 » Tue May 17, 2016 11:47 pm

A quick forum search revealed scant information on this lure.

I got a couple of the larger ones to try out. How do you fish this lure--like a jerkbait? steady retrieve? stop and go?

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: OSP bent minnow

Post by cndbasshunter » Tue May 17, 2016 11:51 pm

jmb27 wrote:A quick forum search revealed scant information on this lure.

I got a couple of the larger ones to try out. How do you fish this lure--like a jerkbait? steady retrieve? stop and go?
to me i work them like a senko in open water...twitch pause twitch pause...

Inspectorlee
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Inspectorlee » Wed May 18, 2016 12:07 am

Fish it like a jerkbait in a stop and go manner. Depending on how stiff your rod's tip is, it's possible to get too much action.

I usually let it lay after the cast and wait for the ripples to dissipate. I will then just barely make the lure bob in place to get the attention of nearby fish. After a few bobs, I will give it a short jerk, and most fish will lunge at the lure out of reflex. In essence, I'm trying to make it look like a nearly dead minnow fluttering on the surface before suddenly making a "last breath" struggle.

If the fish are extremely aggressive, you can cast and immediately begin jerking it back steadily with only a second or two pause between each jerk.

Bass1980
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bass1980 » Wed May 18, 2016 2:18 am

I have no consistent cadence twitching them but the bent minnows are awesome. A dying bait fish struggling is what I'm after. Usually I'll do a quick series of twitches like 3 or 4, pause, then 2 soft twitch, 2 hard twitch, then one soft twitch, then 3 hard twitch. Then on next series I add 1 twitch per group, and half power less on half of the twitches. Lastly i count to 5 seconds before I twtich and then after all of this you just wasted your time reading what I tried to explain on my 1st sentence. :lol:

jmb27
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jmb27 » Wed May 18, 2016 2:57 am

thanks for the info... sound like I work it almost like a "hardbody" fluke.

Bass1980
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bass1980 » Wed May 18, 2016 3:36 am

It's is so much more erratic though. Like a shallow water vision 110 after 6 shots of moon shine.