Your favorite red treble hook?

From crankbaits to jerkbaits to wakebaits and more, TackleTour's new hardbait sub-forum has been a long time coming. Well, now your wait is over!
oops
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Your favorite red treble hook?

Post by oops » Sat May 07, 2016 5:06 pm

I'm a sucker for trying new things and I know a lot of folks swear by using a red hook for the front hook on their jerkbaits. What is your favorite hook for this purpose? This is for inshore fishing, so strong hooks are a must.

Bassmar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Your favorite red treble hook?

Post by Bassmar » Sun May 08, 2016 3:25 pm

Gamakatsu EWG trebles

NormanD
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by NormanD » Tue May 10, 2016 7:22 am

Big believer in the red hooks. I use ST36's, but they are not the strongest hook in the world and after a few toothy fish, e.g. bluefish, most of the red gets chewed off. I am hoping that they will come out with a red hook in the inline single model.

fshn4lmt
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by fshn4lmt » Tue May 17, 2016 12:13 pm

Not a fan of red trebles,but daiichi death traps and owner stingers would be my choice.gammys would be number 3.

oops
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by oops » Tue May 17, 2016 12:55 pm

I ended up picking up some size 4 and 6 of the gammys and changed out a bunch of front hooks.

They seem pretty meh, doubt I will buy more. Only caught 2 fish on the one lure I tried with the red hook and quite a bit of the red is worn off already. Out of the package they are not as sticky as whatever hooks I had on all the various baits already, and the thin wire compared to what I was using does not inspire confidence. Once I wear down the red on all the hooks I may try the Owners, but will most likely just go back to the hooks I already have a lot of confidence in.

Randingo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Randingo » Wed May 18, 2016 2:18 am

oops wrote:Out of the package they are not as sticky as whatever hooks I had on all the various baits already...
This is my general experience with red hooks. It seems like the plating process dulls or covers the point, and they seem to take more than just a little touch up to get them as sticky as the uncolored version of the hooks they're based on. Still, I think red hooks can help fish focus on a particular location on the bait, so when I use them, I only put them in the front position.

oops
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by oops » Wed May 18, 2016 7:23 am

Randingo wrote:
oops wrote:Out of the package they are not as sticky as whatever hooks I had on all the various baits already...
This is my general experience with red hooks. It seems like the plating process dulls or covers the point, and they seem to take more than just a little touch up to get them as sticky as the uncolored version of the hooks they're based on. Still, I think red hooks can help fish focus on a particular location on the bait, so when I use them, I only put them in the front position.
Yeah, I assumed it's something to do with the plating as well. Since I've only had one real chance to put any time on the hooks, I have no real opinion as to whether they actually make the bait more appealing to a fish, but the red hook on the front does really pop. They look especially good on the front of baits that have a red eye or gills.

spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spookybaits » Wed May 25, 2016 3:21 am

On jerkbaits, especially the high-tech jdm stuff like mb 110, I'm way more concerned with the hooks matching the weight of the stock hooks. The balance is everything on jerkbaits.
I'll weigh out all the different brands/models and pick which one that matches it the best.
For 110, if I remember correctly the st36 was the closest.
There's the Amart finesse trebles now, those might be a better fit? But in general on jb's I like st36