Jackall Squirrel DD hooks bending issue

From crankbaits to jerkbaits to wakebaits and more, TackleTour's new hardbait sub-forum has been a long time coming. Well, now your wait is over!
jerkbait22
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Jackall Squirrel DD hooks bending issue

Post by jerkbait22 » Sat May 07, 2016 11:47 am

Hi Guys,

I had heard good things about the Jackall DD Squirrel and ended up fishing mine today for a little. It came through when not much else was working with a 5lb largemouth. I was lucky to get that fish because it only got the back treble and when I got it in the one hook was all bend out. Luckily it had another prong in it's jaw that was set good. The hooks on the two DD Squirrels I have seem to be light wire and it's a light colored metal as opposed to most of the darker nickel trebles that come on other lures. Anyone else had problems with these?

Wondering if it's worth replacing them with something else, wouldn't want to mess up the action of the bait though.

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Jackall Squirrel DD hooks bending issue

Post by cndbasshunter » Sat May 07, 2016 12:33 pm

you need to replace all hooks on jdm baits...lol

i love these hooks..

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Gamakats ... e-NFH.html

jerkbait22
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jerkbait22 » Sat May 07, 2016 11:48 pm

Thanks CND, I'll pick some of those up. I saw some reviews where people said they are smaller than the standard size treble hook. I was going to pick up #6 for the Jackall DD Squirrel but now wondering if I should get the #4 instead. Also it looks like they come in half sizes too so maybe I should get the #5 size. Any thoughts?

smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by smalljaw » Sun May 08, 2016 4:18 am

The nano finesse is what you need. These are stronger but won't add weight and make your bait sink or ruin the action.

jerkbait22
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jerkbait22 » Wed May 11, 2016 10:19 am

What size nano finesse do you guys suggest - should I go up a size or just stick with the current size hooks on the lure? I believe the Squirrel DD has #4 on front and #6 on back.

Thanks -