Red hooks?

From crankbaits to jerkbaits to wakebaits and more, TackleTour's new hardbait sub-forum has been a long time coming. Well, now your wait is over!
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Red hooks?

Post by 108642 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 5:14 am

Do people always change both treble hooks when changing to red colored ones? Has anyone tried changing just the rear, or front treble?
Thanks

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Red hooks?

Post by slipperybob » Thu Mar 03, 2016 5:35 am

It would depend on the lure type. The concept may make sense, but real field test often doesn't seem to have significant difference.

Top water and other jerk bait for pause and retrieve style, I go with front red. Reaction lures, rear red, or both.

GOOD YEAR 71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by GOOD YEAR 71 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:58 am

If you're happy with the current treble, save yourself some money and get a red marker to dap it up. Same applies to any color you choose, most certainly does not have to be red. Green for instance, hint hint, or blue and so on. Peace. :whistle:

jerkbait22
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jerkbait22 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:02 am

I saw a youtube video over the winter where a guy stated that after testing for years he found putting a red treble on the front of a topwater increased his hook up ratio. His thoughts were that it gives the fish something to target, especially when fishing spooks/walk the dog topwater lures where you are moving it quickly. Especially for smallmouth who tend to slash at the bait. Said when he uses the red hook on the front 90% of the fish are hooked on that front treble and he loses a lot less fish and also has less fish miss the bait.

Seems to make sense, especially for smallmouth fishing which I do a lot of. Might pick up a pack of red trebles and give it a try this year to see how it works.

NormanD
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by NormanD » Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:40 am

It is very surprising to see how often fish will hit the red hook in which ever position it is on the lure.

FrankTheRabbit
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by FrankTheRabbit » Sat Mar 05, 2016 10:50 am

A tackle shop owner mentioned about red hooks having that coating that makes them more malleable when compared to the regular hooks.

I was using Kamasan steelhead single hooks and compared Raven octopus hooks, I definitely had more bent red hooks.

An interesting article I just Google'ed. Essentially, the deeper you fish, the red in the colour spectrum, disappears and fades to black. So if you're fishing shallow, red can be a factor.

http://www.worldfishingnetwork.com/wfn- ... seeing-red

rgbtr196le
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by rgbtr196le » Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:56 pm

If it gets you a couple more bites throughout the day....might be worth trying the red hooks.

NormanD
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by NormanD » Thu Mar 10, 2016 7:18 am

Most of the lures that I have swapped out the stock hooks to red have been topwater. Red is suppose to disappear first in the color spectrum as you get deeper. And also, the red hooks do seem slightly weaker. YMMV of course.

Okiekev
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Okiekev » Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:45 pm

I am a believer on top water baits like the spook, I was wanting to give it a run on jerkbaits this winter but that bite never fired up for me down here. I was thinking it might make a difference when the bait is suspending and sitting still. I switched out the front hooks to red to mimic bleeding gills, but like I said our water was too high and muddy this winter to get that bite going. If anyone has tried it in a slow presentation like this I would love the feedback.

Bassmar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bassmar » Sat Mar 12, 2016 4:22 pm

The problem with red hooks is that after a couple of days they become gold hooks. :lol: Gets expensive changing them out. That said I believe that they possibly do give the fish something to target so I only replace the front treble as I prefer them targeting this as opposed to the rear treble. And only on top waters and very shallow divers.

Seph
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Seph » Sun Mar 13, 2016 7:43 am

I don't understand.

Fish supposedly can see Red hooks and they eat baits more readily because the look wounded.

Fish supposedly CAN'T see red fishing line....

hahahaha

I smell a fib somewhere.

chrisjr1981
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by chrisjr1981 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:18 pm

Red hooks on the front of all my jerk baits and topwaters. Especially on the vision 110. The strikes I get are more aggressive and no joke I caught more big fish this year on it than previous years. This being my first year with red hooks.

Bassmar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bassmar » Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:18 am

Seph wrote:I don't understand.

Fish supposedly can see Red hooks and they eat baits more readily because the look wounded.

hahahaha

I smell a fib somewhere.

Read the article in the link above. Explains the science behind it. Up to you if you agree with the it or not.

Seph
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Seph » Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:37 am

Bassmar wrote:
Seph wrote:I don't understand.

hahahaha

I smell a fib somewhere.

Read the article in the link above. Explains the science behind it. Up to you if you agree with the it or not.
I am familiar with the science behind the longer wavelengths of the visible light spectrum and their absorption rates at depth. I thought I was laying on the sarcasm pretty thick up there... :lol:

One thing the article did not mention, probably because it is specific to bass, is that many benthic fishes do not have vision receptors for the longer wavelenghts of light. Their vision is actually tuned to the shorter band even into the UV spectrum of light. So while red may or may not be visible on a lure at depth many deep dwelling fish simply do not have the proper receptors to see these colors anyway... :shock: