Best Lipless Crankbait

From crankbaits to jerkbaits to wakebaits and more, TackleTour's new hardbait sub-forum has been a long time coming. Well, now your wait is over!
Greg64
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Best Lipless Crankbait

Post by Greg64 » Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:43 pm

Are there any lipless crankbaits on the market that are better than a Rat-L-Trap for all around use? What about the Lucky Craft offerings? Does one get "bang" for the "buck"?

Swinebaiter5280
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Re: Best Lipless Crankbait

Post by Swinebaiter5280 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:57 am

I've been fishing Traps for years and years, the original still has a place in my box, but not early in the year when temps are under 45, as I feel that the original is best for a straight retrieve. These baits roll over on a rip pause technique. Yo-yoing seems most effective in the cold water periods.

For yo yoing, I much prefer the Redeye Shad, it stays horizontal on the fall, and has a nice shimmy on the fall. Its a huge trigger most bites come on the fall, or when the bait rests on bottom for a brief moment before gettin ripped again. The spro Aruku shad is a great bait, as it sits nose down tail up when on bottom.

I have been toying with the many sounds that have come to the trap world also. The one knocker was lights out on a pressured bass fishery where I live. And the new SK Redeye shad Tungsten 2 tap will be deployed this March, in hopes of gettin a few extra bites.

I do not fish high end traps as I am shorebound.

Hulkster
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Hulkster » Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:07 am

i really like the newer Rippin Rapala baits. but i do put larger treble hooks on them (they were designed for smallmouths so that's why they apparently have relatively small hooks i am told).

the finish is super tough. i find Rat l traps peel like crazy. the rippin raps never do.

Jdmbiggie
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jdmbiggie » Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:25 pm

spro ryuku shad, xcalibur/booyah one knocker, lc silent and sk 2tap are my best

KlingerNOK
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by KlingerNOK » Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:26 pm

I fish traps year round and the best I've found is the YoZuri Rattlin Vibe.
A distant second would be the Redeye Shad.

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by cndbasshunter » Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:41 pm

Jackall TN series and megabass ViB x are my favorite. The aruku shad is great as well.

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:21 am

I bought every XCalibur I could get my mitts on when they went on clearance a little over a year ago. Superbly made, great stock hooks and the fish like them too.

Origina Rat-L-Traps are still a good bait. That chrome/blue back is a timeless classic.

BigG
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BigG » Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:59 am

uljersey wrote:I bought every XCalibur I could get my mitts on when they went on clearance a little over a year ago. Superbly made, great stock hooks and the fish like them too.

Origina Rat-L-Traps are still a good bait. That chrome/blue back is a timeless classic.
X2 on the chrome/blue

jpd0144
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by jpd0144 » Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:33 pm

uljersey wrote:I bought every XCalibur I could get my mitts on when they went on clearance a little over a year ago. Superbly made, great stock hooks and the fish like them too.

X3 on Xcal and the RT chrome and blue ...

Spro and Yozuri gets game time as well.

jrob78
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jrob78 » Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:43 pm

Don't forget about the Lucky Craft LV 500.

BuckNaStY
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by BuckNaStY » Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:56 am

Jdmbiggie wrote:spro ryuku shad, xcalibur/booyah one knocker, lc silent and sk 2tap are my best

I second these. :mrgreen:

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Sat Feb 27, 2016 1:21 am

For fishing around grass, a Lucky Craft LVR D7 and D10 are hard to beat. They come through grass like no other lipless I have tried, always coming back clean, even in the thick stuff. The LV 500 is a great lipless for covering large grass flats as well.

smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by smalljaw » Sat Feb 27, 2016 2:45 am

I have a nice stash of the Xcalibur one knockers and supposedly Booyah is just the name change but I really don't know so I can't recommend the new ones, at least not yet. The Sebile Flatt Shad has been good to me as well and another discontinued bait but they can be found.

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Sat Feb 27, 2016 5:10 am

While going through my old stash, I came up with a Fire Tiger 2 1/2" Cotton Cordell Super Spot. I looked up some reviews - mostly all positive. I put a fresh set of hooks and split rings on it. Hmmmmm .... a sub $4.00 bait that could very well end up being THE sleeper lipless in my rotation ? I love a good underdog story 8-)

smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by smalljaw » Sat Feb 27, 2016 6:42 am

uljersey wrote:While going through my old stash, I came up with a Fire Tiger 2 1/2" Cotton Cordell Super Spot. I looked up some reviews - mostly all positive. I put a fresh set of hooks and split rings on it. Hmmmmm .... a sub $4.00 bait that could very well end up being THE sleeper lipless in my rotation ? I love a good underdog story 8-)
The Cotton Cordell super spot in the 1/4oz model is the best lipless crank for that size. I can reel it almost twice as slow as any other 1/4oz lipless bait and it will still have a vibration and sound, most of the smaller ones you have to move fast.