How much does the Strike King Pro Series 3 crankbait weigh?

From crankbaits to jerkbaits to wakebaits and more, TackleTour's new hardbait sub-forum has been a long time coming. Well, now your wait is over!
ibobpeb
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

How much does the Strike King Pro Series 3 crankbait weigh?

Post by ibobpeb » Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:48 am

There are conflicting information online. Tacklewarehouse and Fishusa has it listed at 1/4 oz, but bassproshops and cabelas has it listed at 3/8 oz.

Does anyone have this lure and a scale to confirm?

(Series 3 that dives to 8 feet and has rattles; not the 3xd).

ibobpeb
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: How much does the Strike King Pro Series 3 crankbait wei

Post by ibobpeb » Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:47 am

**UPDATE**

I probably seem like an anally retentive or obsessed person right now, lol. I hope this post helps at least 1 other person. It's frustrating when you walk into a store and the packaging doesn't have the weight printed on it. Even more frustrating when online retailers state different weights.

In my opinion and personal preference, 1/4 oz medium diving cranks should be thrown on a light to medium-light spinning rod or a BFS casting rod. At least, to me, it feels better with that setup.

3/8 oz medium diving cranks to me feels best on medium to medium-heavy rods. I get maximum accuracy, control, and distance with that medium power medium-fast soft tip. Specifically, my Orochi XX Flat Side Special. I don't like 1/4 oz on it.

I was hoping the Pro Series 3 crankbaits were indeed 3/8 oz because I have Bandit 200 crankbaits which is essentially the direct competitor of the Series 3 and dives down to the 8 feet water column also, but the Bandit 200 only weighs 1/4 oz and I find myself often adding a #5 Gremlin split shot to get more distance. They are both 2 inches btw- I am using them specifically for white bass and crappies and those fish prefer the smaller body profile where I'm from. I do get the occasional walleye, lmb, smb, and catfish too while targeting white bass & crappie which is a bonus.

Without further ado I went out and got a couple to weigh on my scale and here are the results:

1) The Strike King Pro Series 3 is not 1/4 (0.25) oz and not 3/8 (0.375) oz at all. It actually weighs 3/10 oz or 0.30 even. It is a true 2 inches long.

2) In comparison, the Strike King 1.5 Square Bill is closer to the 3/8 (0.375) oz than the Series 3 is, at 0.40 oz even. But its body is also longer at 2.25 inches long. Forgot to take a picture with the measuring tape though.
Image Image

3) The manufacturing process usually accounts for up to 10% error in weight (I contacted the manuf and that's what I was told). Thus, lures never truly weigh what they're supposed to weigh. However, they just got it wrong with the Series 3. It's 20% error here- someone dropped the ball or was lazy. The good news is that 0.30 oz is in the happy medium where you can cast it pretty good using any rod from light to heavy. The bad news is that if you thought it weighed 1/4 oz like I did and completely passed it up because you didn't wanna buy such a light weight crank for your Flat Side Special or similar medium medium-heavy cranking rod.

4) The Original Wiggle Wart and Norman Middle N crankbaits are 2 inches long and supposedly weigh 3/8 oz- those look promising and I will have to get my hands on them to weigh on my scale. However, if any of you that own them already don't mind weighing them for me that would be awesome. I'm looking for that sweet spot 3/8 to 1/2 oz lures that I can throw on my Flat Side Special.

*note: I own a mail-order business and have shipped over 50,000 products using my scale with 0 incidents. Scale has been verified accurate with USPS, UPS, Fedex, and DHL. The scale is accurate up to a gram or a hundredth of a decimal in ounces, pounds, and kilograms.

**MORE PICS**

Anyway hope that helps you decide which crankbaits to buy if you're looking for that smaller profile crankbait with a medium depth range that can also cast far. I'm sure most of you already have the series 3 in your arsenal. They are so underrated.

Fin.

Bassmar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bassmar » Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:24 pm

Interesting info. Thanx. I own and use all the cranks you mention. My favorite are the Bandit 200 and 300. I cast these on a 7" Medium Crucial crank rod, Calais 100 and 10lb P Line CX Premium. No issues with distance. I use the Series 3 on the same outfit. The Wiggle Wart is considerably heavier than all the other cranks mentioned. Unfortunately I am working off shore and will only be re united with my tackle in two weeks time. If no one has posted the weights by then, I will weigh mine.

Seph
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Seph » Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:36 pm

Love the discussion and the pictures - I fish a lot of Strike King baits - great value.

However, your pictures do not corroborate your weights. In the pictures the baits show '0.3 oz' and '0.4 oz'. This is NOT '0.30' or '0.40' as you report. The last digit on a digital scale is always a rounded number (unless maybe you are weighing the SI Kg standard).

I did some googling and the scale you have used is an ultraship75 shipping scale. It is only accurate to a tenth of an ounce in English standard (0-2 lbs x 0.1 oz) and to 5 grams in metric. It does not have the precision required for what you want it to do.

You should be aware that due to the lack of precision the the bait showing '0.3 oz' could easily be anywhere from 0.25 oz to 0.34 oz and the 0.4 oz one is anywhere from 0.35oz to 0.44oz. And just for fun, If you want to get even more sciencey about it, because the last digit of the readout is rounded on a digital scale it has a margin of error associated with it that is usually accepted to be at least the range of the accuracy of the device. '0.3oz' could easily be 0.2oz or 0.4oz and when the precision is then reapplied to these numbers a '.3oz' reading could be obtained from an object anywhere between 0.15 to 0.44 oz.

In the shipping world no one bills a mill rate below 1/10 of an ounce that I am aware of and that is why you haven't had any issues. I'd love to see what those weigh on a small gram scale -- do you know any drug dealers? :big grin: .

Edit: Added manufacturer's webpage

http://myweigh.com/product/series/

scroll down to ultraship 75

iatacs19
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by iatacs19 » Fri Feb 19, 2016 1:24 am

Seph wrote:Love the discussion and the pictures - I fish a lot of Strike King baits - great value.

However, your pictures do not corroborate your weights. In the pictures the baits show '0.3 oz' and '0.4 oz'. This is NOT '0.30' or '0.40' as you report. The last digit on a digital scale is always a rounded number (unless maybe you are weighing the SI Kg standard).

I did some googling and the scale you have used is an ultraship75 shipping scale. It is only accurate to a tenth of an ounce in English standard (0-2 lbs x 0.1 oz) and to 5 grams in metric. It does not have the precision required for what you want it to do.

You should be aware that due to the lack of precision the the bait showing '0.3 oz' could easily be anywhere from 0.25 oz to 0.34 oz and the 0.4 oz one is anywhere from 0.35oz to 0.44oz. And just for fun, If you want to get even more sciencey about it, because the last digit of the readout is rounded on a digital scale it has a margin of error associated with it that is usually accepted to be at least the range of the accuracy of the device. '0.3oz' could easily be 0.2oz or 0.4oz and when the precision is then reapplied to these numbers a '.3oz' reading could be obtained from an object anywhere between 0.15 to 0.44 oz.

In the shipping world no one bills a mill rate below 1/10 of an ounce that I am aware of and that is why you haven't had any issues. I'd love to see what those weigh on a small gram scale -- do you know any drug dealers? :big grin: .

Edit: Added manufacturer's webpage

http://myweigh.com/product/series/

scroll down to ultraship 75
Nailed it! Great job! =D>