Flash Pointer

From crankbaits to jerkbaits to wakebaits and more, TackleTour's new hardbait sub-forum has been a long time coming. Well, now your wait is over!
OkobojiEagle
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Flash Pointer

Post by OkobojiEagle » Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:14 pm

In 500 words or less compare or contrast the action of a Flash Pointer 100 with an original Pointer 100. Extra points if I can understand it.

oe

smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Flash Pointer

Post by smalljaw » Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:33 pm

The regular Pointer 100 is a rip bait, very erratic with a side to side darting action. The Flash Pointer is a little more subtle, it has more of the darting action of the Pointer but the tail kick or wobble is tighter like the Flash Minnow. Basically it is Pointer with a tighter action and less side to side darting, more like side to side glide I guess you can say and not very far side to side.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:23 pm

OkobojiEagle wrote:In 500 words or less compare or contrast the action of a Flash Pointer 100 with an original Pointer 100. Extra points if I can understand it.

oe
:lol:

OkobojiEagle
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by OkobojiEagle » Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:14 pm

smalljaw wrote:The regular Pointer 100 is a rip bait, very erratic with a side to side darting action. The Flash Pointer is a little more subtle, it has more of the darting action of the Pointer but the tail kick or wobble is tighter like the Flash Minnow. Basically it is Pointer with a tighter action and less side to side darting, more like side to side glide I guess you can say and not very far side to side.
smalljaw... I'm not saying you aren't correct, BUT that is exactly an opposite description of the actions from one I watched on YouTube??? I have never fished the Flash Pointer so now my curiosity heightens...

oe

smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by smalljaw » Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:52 am

OkobojiEagle wrote:
smalljaw wrote:The regular Pointer 100 is a rip bait, very erratic with a side to side darting action. The Flash Pointer is a little more subtle, it has more of the darting action of the Pointer but the tail kick or wobble is tighter like the Flash Minnow. Basically it is Pointer with a tighter action and less side to side darting, more like side to side glide I guess you can say and not very far side to side.
smalljaw... I'm not saying you aren't correct, BUT that is exactly an opposite description of the actions from one I watched on YouTube??? I have never fished the Flash Pointer so now my curiosity heightens...

oe
I have the Flash Pointer as well as the regular Pointer and the Flash Minnow, I'm a jerkbait fanatic and here is what I can tell you. I got the Flash Pointer thinking it would be a cross between the Pointer and Flash Minnow, and it is but not like I thought it would be. I was thinking it would have the same action as a pointer with a shallow depth like the Flash Minnow but instead it took the depth of the Pointer with the action of a Flash Minnow. You can go by the you tube video, and if that is the case I don't know why you asked, but I have both and use both and unless I have bad ones I stand by my assessment, the Flash Pointer is a toned down Pointer, it is more erratic than a Flash Minnow but not as erratic as the Pointer, that is as easy as I can make it but I got bad ones according to You Tube.

OkobojiEagle
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by OkobojiEagle » Wed Jan 13, 2016 4:22 am

smalljaw wrote:
OkobojiEagle wrote:

oe
I have the Flash Pointer as well as the regular Pointer and the Flash Minnow, I'm a jerkbait fanatic and here is what I can tell you. I got the Flash Pointer thinking it would be a cross between the Pointer and Flash Minnow, and it is but not like I thought it would be. I was thinking it would have the same action as a pointer with a shallow depth like the Flash Minnow but instead it took the depth of the Pointer with the action of a Flash Minnow. You can go by the you tube video, and if that is the case I don't know why you asked, but I have both and use both and unless I have bad ones I stand by my assessment, the Flash Pointer is a toned down Pointer, it is more erratic than a Flash Minnow but not as erratic as the Pointer, that is as easy as I can make it but I got bad ones according to You Tube.
I suppose now that I got you angry at me, you'll be like my wife and not fix me dinner!... I wasn't calling you out, but I was relating how each user seems to have a different perspective. I think the Slender Pointer has a more extreme action than the Pointer 78 or 100, but I've read just the opposite on other reviews. I appreciate your perspective and don't believe a "YouTube" review has anymore merit than yours does.

oe

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:37 am

Why don't you just buy one and find out for yourself. Dan has quite the extensive knowledge and use of many, many jerkbaits. He has it rather dialed in.

OkobojiEagle
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by OkobojiEagle » Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:28 pm

I most likely will... after the 2' of ice melts next spring

oe

smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by smalljaw » Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:26 pm

OkobojiEagle wrote:
smalljaw wrote:
OkobojiEagle wrote:

oe
I suppose now that I got you angry at me, you'll be like my wife and not fix me dinner!... I wasn't calling you out, but I was relating how each user seems to have a different perspective. I think the Slender Pointer has a more extreme action than the Pointer 78 or 100, but I've read just the opposite on other reviews. I appreciate your perspective and don't believe a "YouTube" review has anymore merit than yours does.

oe

I apologize, I reread my post and it did sound if I was angry, I can assure you though I was not, again I'm sorry for coming off that way. I understand how one's perspective can change the way we see things, it was just like another post here about someone seeing the Rapala Shadow Rap as a copy of the Vision 110 not only in look but action, yet when I saw the action of that bait I saw nothing even remotely resembling a 110. That showed me right there is you have a preconceived notion that you will see what you want to see, but my background is quality control in the construction field and I realize things aren't always as they seem so I let my on the water experience dictate my views. I will tell you how I feel about a piece of tackle before it sees the water but I won't let that opinion cloud my view as to how it will perform on the water as things can change dramatically. I'm telling you this so you understand, I fished that bait side by side with the Pointer and after I did, it made perfect sense as to why they called it a Flash Pointer. In my experience with jerkbaits I've found that you have 3 basic actions, you have the rip or, as Rapala calls it, the slash, then you have the traditional jerk, and the minnow. I have all three types, the slash or rip baits tend to have the smallest lips of all the jerkbaits, it cuts down resistance to allow the bait to be moved with aggressive rod movements and it causes the bait to veer left, right, up and down in a very erratic fashion while still having control. The traditional jerkbait is a Smithwick Rogue, it has a side to side dart along with a roll and it doesn't track off far to the sides but still has an erratic action if worked aggressively but can be worked too aggressive which will result in the bait laying on its side commonly known as "blowing out". The last is the minnow, like the Flash Minnow, these have the straightest action and will have more roll than tail kick, in other words the action will be super tight and when worked aggressively tend to move in a straighter line than the others. So when I try a new bait I'll start off working it aggressively, first with a lot of short strokes with very little pause, then I'll use longer pulls but I'll move the rod really fast to see if or when it blows out. After that I work the bait progressively slower and by doing that you find the perfect range which best fits each bait, and it is true with all jerkbaits, there is a small range of speed and distance in which you work the bait and it has its optimum action and flash, and when you find it you will know the exact conditions in which the bait will work the best. Some people will not like what I say but it is not biased, there are 2 baits that work over a really wide range and are effective no matter what how you use it, and that is the Lucky Craft Pointer, and the Rapala X-Rap, and it doesn't mean they are the best, it just means they seem to work whether you are barely moving it or rely ripping it. The Pointer is first not because it costs more but because it suspends better at a wider range of temperatures than others. I'm sorry for getting carried away in all this explanation but I wanted you to know how I approach jerkbaits and figure them out, if you dial them in you can have one of the most deadly tactics for drawing strikes from lethargic fish.

OkobojiEagle
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by OkobojiEagle » Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:28 pm

As I stated above, your replies are appreciated.

oe

Schlag
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Schlag » Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:09 am

OE - Here's what I posted on RS.com back on 2/11/15.

"What if a LC Pointer had a three way with a LC Flashminnow and a MB 110? With that love triangle a new family of jerkbaits was born. Behold, the Flash Pointer. Ba da ba ba ba, I'm ghetto'n it."

lvang24
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by lvang24 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:02 am

ive always wondered this too...makes sense

Jdmbiggie
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jdmbiggie » Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:38 am

great topic...good reading material =D>