True Wake Baits

From crankbaits to jerkbaits to wakebaits and more, TackleTour's new hardbait sub-forum has been a long time coming. Well, now your wait is over!
Bassmar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

True Wake Baits

Post by Bassmar » Sat Oct 31, 2015 10:57 pm

Wondering about what true wake baits (crank bait style) there are out there. A lot of cranks that are classed as "wake" baits in fact dive a foot or more on a normal retrieve. They need to be retrieved super slow to wake the surface. I picked up from a previous post that the Manns Walker Elite (discontinued) and the Storm Aruku Shad wake bait are two that will wake under normal speeds and without having to keep the rod tip above your head. What others are there?

PS. Please only comment if you have hands on experience with a lure. I can also read manufacturers claims. :lol:

smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: True Wake Baits

Post by smalljaw » Sun Nov 01, 2015 12:07 am

If you can find some old stock Manns Waker Elite baits you will have, what I feel, is the best wake bait I ever used in that style. The Storm Arashi isn't bad but it needs to be reeled slow, too fast and it will blow out to the side. I fish the Luck Craft RC wake baits and the Koppers as well as the Rapala DT Fat 1 and they all dive too deep.

Bassmar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bassmar » Sun Nov 01, 2015 12:54 am

smalljaw wrote:If you can find some old stock Manns Waker Elite baits you will have, what I feel, is the best wake bait I ever used in that style. The Storm Arashi isn't bad but it needs to be reeled slow, too fast and it will blow out to the side. I fish the Luck Craft RC wake baits and the Koppers as well as the Rapala DT Fat 1 and they all dive too deep.
Thanx for the response. It was actually your response to the previous post that I was referencing. :D . If one fishes the Aruku at a moderate pace will it wake? I don't need to fish these baits at burning speeds but I also don't want a lure that you have to fish at snails pace to get it to wake. I have been using a Normans "Wake" (old model) and it needs to be fished very slowly to create a disturbance on the water surface. Also with grass 6" below the surface the minute you retrieve a bit too fast you snag. The LC bait you mentioned, is it the jointed one?

IAY
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by IAY » Sun Nov 01, 2015 1:17 am

The one he mentioned is the crankbait style wakebait, and it works pretty well. Still dives under on a further cast, if not cranked slowly, but will dive back up when it gets closer unlike lots of other wake cranks. I don't know any crank style wake baits that stays up even on the long casts, probably has to do with their size and buoyancy.

BigG
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BigG » Sun Nov 01, 2015 1:58 am

I used an Ima Roumba for several years, but I didn't feel like I got hit as much as a topwater. Love the wake action of the bait, but not as much I love topwater. I keep thinking I should try it some more especially when they're not hitting topwater.

smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by smalljaw » Sun Nov 01, 2015 1:26 am

The beauty of the Manns Waker is only dives to 3" no matter how fast and it has a big body but fish smash it. All the other wake baits dive too deep when going at a moderate speed and I like to go just a bit faster as I feel I have more success. The Aruku is a lipless crank made by Spro, so I think you mean the Storm Arashi Wake Crank doesn't dive at moderate speeds as much as it blows out, but it is one that does draw strikes so it is ok but nothing I have used can do what the Manns Waker Elite does and that is produce a nice wake at high speed, if you go slow it is basically a topwater as the back sticks out of the water until you pick the pace up. I have horded them when they got discontinued and I even called Manns directly and was able to purchase some old stock that they had but you can still find them if you look, I'd say it is the best crank stye wake bait that was ever made.

Bassmar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bassmar » Sun Nov 01, 2015 4:05 am

Oops :oops: yes I meant the Storm Arashi Wake bait. :)

Tavery5
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Tavery5 » Sun Nov 01, 2015 4:11 am

Not sure if the Deps Buzzjet meets your definition of a crankbait style wake bait, but they wake very nice at a steady retrieve, and can also be worked a number of other ways.

Bassmar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bassmar » Sun Nov 01, 2015 12:46 pm

Took a look at the wake baits on TW. Judging by the near vertical lip the following should run very close to the surface:
Yozuri 3DB and 3DS
Livingston Pro Wake
Duel Hardcore Shad 0+
Anyone used any of these and care to comment?

smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by smalljaw » Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:18 pm

Bassmar wrote:Took a look at the wake baits on TW. Judging by the near vertical lip the following should run very close to the surface:
Yozuri 3DB and 3DS
Livingston Pro Wake
Duel Hardcore Shad 0+
Anyone used any of these and care to comment?
Next spring I'll be adding both the Yo-Zuri 3DB and 3DS, so far all the baits I have in this series have been fantastic. It is hard to look at a bill and be able to tell, my experience has been that most are like the regular Mann's 1 minus, a big body bait that will wake at slow speeds but then dive around a foot or so during a moderate pace. The only good thing I can tell you is that the Storm Arashi needs to be moved a little slower than others but it has a very wide action or kick that when reeling it slow it looks like it is going fast, kind of hard to describe but it does work. One last thought, go to ebay and look for the Mann's Waker or Waker elite and buy a few of them, they were discontinued because I guess sales were poor but it is hard to believe because the bait is louder with a better waking action than I've ever experienced with all the others but it has a big body so anglers think it is too big but it only weighs 3/8oz which I believe is the reason it stays high in the water. The bait isn't too big either, I've caught my share of 12" to 14" fish on them but normally if there is big fish in the area, those are usually the first to hit, but I still haven't found any as good as the Mann's, hopefully they bring it back some day.

primus
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by primus » Mon Dec 07, 2015 6:28 am

The best one I've ever used is the discontinued Xcalibur wake crank, when they are on it that bait gets destroyed . It also does a great job with faster retrieves and the loud rattle really pisses them off when fished over grass .

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:27 am

Thanks smalljaw ... I got intrigued by the Mann's wakers and bought 5 of them between two different places. I did pretty good, got the last 2 from one place for 4.99 each and 3 from another for $5.89 each. Neither place was ebay by the way.

Nothing like buying top water baits that won't see the water for another 4 months ](*,)

smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by smalljaw » Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:42 pm

uljersey wrote:Thanks smalljaw ... I got intrigued by the Mann's wakers and bought 5 of them between two different places. I did pretty good, got the last 2 from one place for 4.99 each and 3 from another for $5.89 each. Neither place was ebay by the way.

Nothing like buying top water baits that won't see the water for another 4 months ](*,)
You will like them once you throw them, I promise or I'll buy them from you!!! When you get to use them for the first time you'll immediately notice that you can keep your rod tip low and it will bulge and the other thing you'll notice is the sound, they are very loud, the most under rated bait I ever used. I like all kinds of tackle and I know I sound like a broken record but I do well with the crankbait style wake bait and I've gone through a bunch and still try more like the Arashi Wake crank when it came out but still none compare to what Manns has made, not even Koppers Live Target or Lucky Craft.

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Wed Dec 09, 2015 6:30 am

smalljaw wrote:
uljersey wrote:Thanks smalljaw ... I got intrigued by the Mann's wakers and bought 5 of them between two different places. I did pretty good, got the last 2 from one place for 4.99 each and 3 from another for $5.89 each. Neither place was ebay by the way.

You will like them once you throw them, I promise or I'll buy them from you!!! When you get to use them for the first time you'll immediately notice that you can keep your rod tip low and it will bulge and the other thing you'll notice is the sound, they are very loud, the most under rated bait I ever used. I like all kinds of tackle and I know I sound like a broken record but I do well with the crankbait style wake bait and I've gone through a bunch and still try more like the Arashi Wake crank when it came out but still none compare to what Manns has made, not even Koppers Live Target or Lucky Craft.
I have no doubt they'll work ... there's one lake I fish that has submerged weed beds that are literally inches below the surface. The Mann's Minus One works well there but tends to get fouled quickly unless I crawl it, which kills the action. These seem like the perfect fit for that situation. I'm thinking a hook upgrade including a feathered treble for the back will be just the ticket.

Rich Frye
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Rich Frye » Thu Dec 17, 2015 9:24 am

Evergreen Rat a Tat. The Magnums work well too. I use the Magnums with a full dressed tail for muskie . Bass love the 'standards'.