A classic returns

From crankbaits to jerkbaits to wakebaits and more, TackleTour's new hardbait sub-forum has been a long time coming. Well, now your wait is over!
uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

A classic returns

Post by uljersey » Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:51 am

=D> Welcome back the Yo-Zuri L Minnow. Great little bait killed off several years ago in typical YoZuri fashion ](*,) I'll be stocking up ... http://www.fishusa.com/product/Yo-Zuri-L-Minnows

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: A classic returns

Post by slipperybob » Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:19 pm

Darn you...now imma gonna watch for the thanksgiving sale...

I guess I couldn't wait...order in. :big grin:

jkleino
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jkleino » Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:05 pm

Have you tried any of the Lucky Craft Shingo series? I don't recall the name of the specific lure but they make one extremely similar.

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Thu Nov 26, 2015 5:46 pm

So it turns out that the smallest ones at 1/8th oz are slow suspending risers. Bummer cup test. The 1/4 oz ones do not seem to sink nearly as fast as the old ones. It was just a cup test. So actual results may be different slightly. The 3/16 th oz ones sinks well with a shimmy.

I guess I'll be using the 3/16th oz ones for ice fishing. I was really looking forth to the 1/8th oz ones, but that's scratched...

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:01 pm

These seem to be the "regular sinking" L-minnows. Has anyone tried the "heavy sinking" version ? For each length, it is nearly twice as heavy. I have considered purchasing some of the short heavy ones, but fear that the action may be poor.

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:38 pm

Dalleinf wrote:These seem to be the "regular sinking" L-minnows. Has anyone tried the "heavy sinking" version ? For each length, it is nearly twice as heavy. I have considered purchasing some of the short heavy ones, but fear that the action may be poor.
It seems the heavyweight sinking ones are only available overseas through ebay to those of us here in North America. I'd love to get my hands on them, but I'll have to pay a premium ... They're listed on the Yo-Zuri/Duel overseas site but not on the US Yo-Zuri site.

Agreed about the current same sized ones being "lighter" ... I have one of the 44mm (3/16 oz) left over from around 2008 that has a distinct sliding action in the internal weight and feels more solid. No such action in the current 3/16 oz. version. I don't fish with it any more as I'm afraid to lose it. I've had success with the current one, but it's definitely not the same bait as the earlier one.

I bought 10 of the smallest ones back in October and every one floated. I had contacted Yo-Zuri directly and they had me send them back to their US headquarters. I'll update when I get their response.

hookset on 3
Angler
Angler

Post by hookset on 3 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 6:57 am

uljersey wrote:
Dalleinf wrote:These seem to be the "regular sinking" L-minnows. Has anyone tried the "heavy sinking" version ? For each length, it is nearly twice as heavy. I have considered purchasing some of the short heavy ones, but fear that the action may be poor.
It seems the heavyweight sinking ones are only available overseas through ebay to those of us here in North America. I'd love to get my hands on them, but I'll have to pay a premium ... They're listed on the Yo-Zuri/Duel overseas site but not on the US Yo-Zuri site.

Agreed about the current same sized ones being "lighter" ... I have one of the 44mm (3/16 oz) left over from around 2008 that has a distinct sliding action in the internal weight and feels more solid. No such action in the current 3/16 oz. version. I don't fish with it any more as I'm afraid to lose it. I've had success with the current one, but it's definitely not the same bait as the earlier one.

I bought 10 of the smallest ones back in October and every one floated. I had contacted Yo-Zuri directly and they had me send them back to their US headquarters. I'll update when I get their response.

Just curious, Why does Yo-Zuri drop specific lures from their catolog on a regular basis?

I've noticed the same thing over the years.

Thanks, Tony

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Fri Dec 04, 2015 6:41 pm

hookset on 3 wrote:
Just curious, Why does Yo-Zuri drop specific lures from their catolog on a regular basis?

I've noticed the same thing over the years.

Thanks, Tony
Who knows, but it seems like its a manufacturing thing. Kind of like Spro. They discontinue and rebrand the line up. There are certain lures that I like and then poof, they're discontinued.

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Sat Dec 05, 2015 1:29 am

Duo makes a similar bait - the Spearhead Ryuki series. I just ordered a few in the 50S model (50mm, 4.5g, sinking) They also offer a 45mm 4g version.

Snidley
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Snidley » Sun Dec 13, 2015 7:31 am

They used to be known as Emperor Minnows. I just bought 2 new old stock ones for $2.00 each. Mine are sinkers

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:45 am

uljersey wrote:

Spoke with them this morning, replacement baits due in after the new year. Not sure of the entire scope of the issue, and I doubt they'd tell me anyhow. So for now at least I have a timeline to look forward to. I'll update as needed.

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Mon Dec 14, 2015 4:01 am

Well, they just found out, it floats...LOL.

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:31 am

uljersey wrote:Duo makes a similar bait - the Spearhead Ryuki series. I just ordered a few in the 50S model (50mm, 4.5g, sinking) They also offer a 45mm 4g version.

Got them in today. They're my first Duo baits, I gotta say I'm impressed with the quality. Hooks are very sticky too. They have an internal weight that shifts fore and aft ever so slightly ... heavy for their size and a very thin build (picture taken from google) If this weather keeps up I should be able to get them wet soon.

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Tue Dec 15, 2015 2:53 pm

I decided to order two of the L minnow 33mm heavy sinker off eBay.

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Fri Dec 18, 2015 7:26 pm

slipperybob wrote:I decided to order two of the L minnow 33mm heavy sinker off eBay.
If you can find the time, please post a short review :-)