Wake Baits?

From crankbaits to jerkbaits to wakebaits and more, TackleTour's new hardbait sub-forum has been a long time coming. Well, now your wait is over!
GOOD YEAR 71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Wake Baits?

Post by GOOD YEAR 71 » Wed May 06, 2015 11:42 am

While I'm down with as much manipulation as I think might benefit my catch rate, with this particular lure the answer is NO. It makes all kinds of ruckus on it's own, as I'm sure you've noticed. It's this action that draws the strike, so keep it steady.

smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by smalljaw » Wed May 06, 2015 8:11 pm

jmb27 wrote:
smalljaw wrote:Calm flat water makes waking very exciting but I'll use them even in a chop as most of these are pretty loud. Also keep one rigged up when you're fishing topwater, one of my best days was when the bass would boil on a spook, I tried a popper and no luck so I gave the wake bait the nod and it did the trick, also a good follow up to buzzbaits. One of the things I liked about the Mann's is that it makes a wake even when you are reeling it at high speed with the rod pointed down so you are in position to set the hook, a lot of other wake baits you have to reel slow and keep the rod tip high otherwise they go too deep. I almost left one out that I think will help, a Rapala DT-Fat 1, the Fat 1 will make a wake at moderate speed but it is silent as it is a balsa bait and there are times where the silent bait was the ticket. I love fishing these baits as it is basically fishing a square bill and a topwater at the same time and I've experimented enough that I'm getting some good fish on it. I'm adding more baits all the time and what I've noticed is color doesn't seem to be a big factor, chartreuse baits are the clear favorites in dirty water and it also is a killer when the water is lightly stained and smallmouths are present, if there is more than 1 foot of visibility I'll choose a natural color, bluegill imitations do well in my waters. Sound is something that plays a part and I was surprised as it would seem to be a mostly visual bait but I've noticed that the fish will often show preference to different sounding baits and that is why I mentioned the DT-Fat 1, I had a couple of days when sound was a deterrent.
Makes sense on the sound--as some days silent cranks get more strikes than loud ones.

Ahhh, being able to have the rod down would certainly help w/the hookset for the Mann's. How are the hooks on those? I have a couple on the way (bluegill, baby bass, ghost minnow).

I'll look at the Rapala DT-Fat 1 for the "silent" wake offering.

Any experience w/the Megabass Knuckle?
That is why I love the Mann's waker, they made it that I don't have to hold the rod high in order for it to wake, the Storm Arashi is in this class as well. The problem is most of the baits weigh too much so on a moderate retrieve with the rod down they will dive to a foot or more, the Mann's Waker is a big body but it only weighs 3/8oz so the deepest it will go is 3". The hooks I switch out to Mustad KVD Short Shank size 2, The Wakers I have all came with a size 4 on the back and a 2 on the front or vice versa but I put the Mustad KVD short shank size 2 for both hooks and I haven't had a problem.

jmb27
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jmb27 » Thu May 07, 2015 3:29 am

smalljaw wrote:
jmb27 wrote:
smalljaw wrote:Calm flat water makes waking very exciting but I'll use them even in a chop as most of these are pretty loud. Also keep one rigged up when you're fishing topwater, one of my best days was when the bass would boil on a spook, I tried a popper and no luck so I gave the wake bait the nod and it did the trick, also a good follow up to buzzbaits. One of the things I liked about the Mann's is that it makes a wake even when you are reeling it at high speed with the rod pointed down so you are in position to set the hook, a lot of other wake baits you have to reel slow and keep the rod tip high otherwise they go too deep. I almost left one out that I think will help, a Rapala DT-Fat 1, the Fat 1 will make a wake at moderate speed but it is silent as it is a balsa bait and there are times where the silent bait was the ticket. I love fishing these baits as it is basically fishing a square bill and a topwater at the same time and I've experimented enough that I'm getting some good fish on it. I'm adding more baits all the time and what I've noticed is color doesn't seem to be a big factor, chartreuse baits are the clear favorites in dirty water and it also is a killer when the water is lightly stained and smallmouths are present, if there is more than 1 foot of visibility I'll choose a natural color, bluegill imitations do well in my waters. Sound is something that plays a part and I was surprised as it would seem to be a mostly visual bait but I've noticed that the fish will often show preference to different sounding baits and that is why I mentioned the DT-Fat 1, I had a couple of days when sound was a deterrent.
Makes sense on the sound--as some days silent cranks get more strikes than loud ones.

Ahhh, being able to have the rod down would certainly help w/the hookset for the Mann's. How are the hooks on those? I have a couple on the way (bluegill, baby bass, ghost minnow).

I'll look at the Rapala DT-Fat 1 for the "silent" wake offering.

Any experience w/the Megabass Knuckle?
That is why I love the Mann's waker, they made it that I don't have to hold the rod high in order for it to wake, the Storm Arashi is in this class as well. The problem is most of the baits weigh too much so on a moderate retrieve with the rod down they will dive to a foot or more, the Mann's Waker is a big body but it only weighs 3/8oz so the deepest it will go is 3". The hooks I switch out to Mustad KVD Short Shank size 2, The Wakers I have all came with a size 4 on the back and a 2 on the front or vice versa but I put the Mustad KVD short shank size 2 for both hooks and I haven't had a problem.
Gotcha. I have some Owner hooks laying around, so I'll check the stock hooks when I get the baits next week and swap them out then.

Seph
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Seph » Fri May 15, 2015 7:40 am

I didn't see it mentioned, but the Storm Arashi wake bait is excellent. If you have some skill in the hand you can even psuedo walk the dog with this bait -- a proper pulse will spin this bait across a ~270 degree arc or so. Its pretty amazing - beats the Manns IMO.

biggs
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by biggs » Fri May 15, 2015 11:26 am

I really like the DT Fat 1's for wake baits.
I also got to check out the new Megabass Funky Flippers last night and they are sweet, haven't fished one but they just look money. They seem like the perfect size.

Nitroman77
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Nitroman77 » Tue May 19, 2015 10:02 am

crimsonpride40
Angler
Angler

Post by crimsonpride40 » Tue May 19, 2015 1:16 pm

Where are the best places to fish wake baits?

Nitroman77
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Nitroman77 » Tue May 19, 2015 9:54 pm

crimsonpride40 wrote:Where are the best places to fish wake baits?
I fish them around docks, weed lines, lily Pads, Off rocks..

crimsonpride40
Angler
Angler

Post by crimsonpride40 » Tue May 19, 2015 10:55 pm

^^^^^^^^
Thank you sir.

389Maverick
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 389Maverick » Thu May 21, 2015 2:41 am

X2 for the Funky Flipper, haven't tried them yet, but seems like a winner.

The I-Jack is on the heavier side, but worked great last weekend.

primus
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by primus » Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:10 pm

I will have to hunt the Mann's Wake bait. My all time favorite made by Pradco under the ExCalibur name they discontinued, I have a few left. Another good one besides some of those already mentioned would be the Bass Pro Shops Offshore Angler Wake bait from their saltwater line-up . http://www.basspro.com/Offshore-Angler- ... /10204744/

smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by smalljaw » Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:16 am

primus wrote:I will have to hunt the Mann's Wake bait. My all time favorite made by Pradco under the ExCalibur name they discontinued, I have a few left. Another good one besides some of those already mentioned would be the Bass Pro Shops Offshore Angler Wake bait from their saltwater line-up . http://www.basspro.com/Offshore-Angler- ... /10204744/
The Offshore Angler Wake Bait is a Manns Waker elite with a larger bill. The Manns Waker Elite dives to 3", maybe 6" if I put the tip of the rod under the surface and burn it as fast as I can. The Offshore wake bait says diving depth 2' but it is large enough to wake really well.

primus
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by primus » Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:35 am

Thanks for the info smalljaw .

jerkbait22
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jerkbait22 » Sun Jul 19, 2015 4:39 am

What wakebait is that with the skirt attached on the back?

socal cranker
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by socal cranker » Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:12 am

Have some builders make some flatsided balsa wakebaits...deadly and no one throws them ;)