Jerkbait recommendation

From crankbaits to jerkbaits to wakebaits and more, TackleTour's new hardbait sub-forum has been a long time coming. Well, now your wait is over!
damian_megabass
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Jerkbait recommendation

Post by damian_megabass » Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:01 am

110's are the only way to go! I did not stick to them for 5+ yrs and spent almost $2K on them if they didn't work. :?

Anyway.....GL on your search but give 110 a try. If not two, just one. ;)

smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by smalljaw » Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:32 am

damian_megabass wrote:110's are the only way to go! I did not stick to them for 5+ yrs and spent almost $2K on them if they didn't work. :?

He can get 3 RC STX for the price of a single 110, then if he likes those he can get into the 110s. I know you hate that and I have reular Megabass 110s in both slow rising and hi-float, the hi float is the only floating jerkbait I ever caught bass on in cold water. The thing of it is that there is a budget, and I'm sorry but when Luck-E-Strike copied the 110, they even copied the action, it works well and it suspends really good, I've never been able to get a real suspending 110.

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by cndbasshunter » Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:34 am

smalljaw wrote:
damian_megabass wrote:110's are the only way to go! I did not stick to them for 5+ yrs and spent almost $2K on them if they didn't work. :?

He can get 3 RC STX for the price of a single 110, then if he likes those he can get into the 110s. I know you hate that and I have reular Megabass 110s in both slow rising and hi-float, the hi float is the only floating jerkbait I ever caught bass on in cold water. The thing of it is that there is a budget, and I'm sorry but when Luck-E-Strike copied the 110, they even copied the action, it works well and it suspends really good, I've never been able to get a real suspending 110.
i tested the STX and the action is not the same...

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:25 am

cndbasshunter wrote:
smalljaw wrote:

If I'm not happy with what I already have, then I might have to try a few RC STX's. I don't fish enough to warrant $2,000 worth of one type of bait from one manufacturer. Even if I did fish enough, I would have to have a nearly unlimited amount of likey at my disposal. So damian, while I applaud you for being able to have that much tackle, I would have found it more useful if you had been able to give me a few recommendations for alternate lures, at least for the time being.

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by njbasscat » Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:45 pm

adam lancia wrote:
cndbasshunter wrote:
smalljaw wrote:

If I'm not happy with what I already have, then I might have to try a few RC STX's. I don't fish enough to warrant $2,000 worth of one type of bait from one manufacturer. Even if I did fish enough, I would have to have a nearly unlimited amount of likey at my disposal. So damian, while I applaud you for being able to have that much tackle, I would have found it more useful if you had been able to give me a few recommendations for alternate lures, at least for the time being.
That's why I suggested getting 2 in your most productive color. Damian uses them but also collects them (or used to) and has a large collection of hard to find colors. If your just fishing them like most people, buy a couple here and there when you can. They are great baits but there are certainly many other ones that work well too.

trent_s
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by trent_s » Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:08 pm

Here's what I would get based on smallmouth in clear water:

Lucky Craft Pointer Minnow SP (One of best producing lures ever, and a lot cheaper than Megabass). I would get a size 78 and one size 100. The 78 has traditionally caught bigger and more fish for me, especially smallies. The following colors are great:
Bone Pro Blue, Ghost Bluegill, and Nishiki. Maybe even get two 78 size.

Lucky Craft Slender Pointer in size 78 or 112, a great smallie bait. Choose any two colors for clear water

Lucky Craft Pointer 95 Silent for when those gin clear smallies are being picky (no rattles in this one and smaller profile) all the colors are great for clear water...it was designed for clear water.

Then choose between an Ima Flit or a Duo Realis 100sp, both are great, for smallies I like the Ima Flit better.

To be honest I like my Lucky Craft's better than Megabass' offerings, and average about $7-9 less. There's a reason every pro has Lucky Crafts in his boat, they flat out work.

Good luck to you! Warning high end jerkbaits can become addictive so proceed with caution :evil22:

trevorvandam
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by trevorvandam » Sat Jan 31, 2015 2:32 pm

Pointer 100 sp. for a deep diver, staysee 90. Colors: chartreuse shad and ghost minnow. If I want some thing a litte chaper, then get the x rap in glass ghost

wingzero9969
Angler
Angler

Post by wingzero9969 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:59 pm

Vision 110 and spro mcstiks are my preferences on jerkbaits

lund40
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by lund40 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:41 pm

Productive baits for me have been the osp asura, zipbait 80sr.

carbonduke
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by carbonduke » Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:33 am

Asura, Balisong and Vision 95 for me. Although I dont fish for bass

BucketHunter
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BucketHunter » Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:20 am

Rogues are still one of the most productive baits.
You can still get the wood ones if you look. Just change the hooks.
The new elite 8 and perfect 10 accounted for most of the smallies in my outings last year. They come with gammy hooks too.

suprteck
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by suprteck » Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:21 pm

duo realis 110sp and 120sp cheaper than the megabass and not as fragile

slicksouthpaw
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by slicksouthpaw » Wed May 06, 2015 5:27 pm

OkobojiEagle wrote:I'll play... Rapala X-rap 10 & Flat Rap 10. Lucky Craft Flashminnow 97, Slender Pointer 97, Pointer 78 and either silent Pointer 95 or Pointer 100. Rapalas = yellow perch, Lucky Crafts = ghost minnow or ghost sunfish

oe
xraps and lc's are my prefered. more of a flash minnow fan than a flash pointer

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Thu May 14, 2015 2:58 pm

I carry a ton of LC 65, 78 and Duo Realis Rozante 63SP
These are all on the smaller size but hey just work...

I still have not got a fish on the megabass trickdarter for some weird reason