Crankbait treble to single hook conversion

From crankbaits to jerkbaits to wakebaits and more, TackleTour's new hardbait sub-forum has been a long time coming. Well, now your wait is over!
GRH
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Crankbait treble to single hook conversion

Post by GRH » Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:43 am

Hi Everyone,

I converted all my inline-spinners and spoons to Siwash single hooks and haven’t noticed any appreciable difference in hook sets or lost fish. It sure is a lot easier to remove a single hook than those nasty trebles.

So now I would like to get rid of the trebles on my Crankbaits too. Has anyone done this and are happy with the results? I noticed the Siwash eyes are at a wrong “right angle” to the crankbait rings and was thinking of making it easy and just cutting one or two barbs off the trebles. Has anyone done any of this? What were the results, i.e. balance/action still the same, causes good/bad hookset, etc.?

Thanks for any information you can provide.
Last edited by GRH on Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:19 am, edited 2 times in total.

OkobojiEagle
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Crankbait treble to single hook conversion

Post by OkobojiEagle » Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:37 am

I cut the leading bend off the treble hooks on crankbaits I frequently use fishing over the tops of weed beds. Doesn't seem to negatively affect hook sets.

oe

GRH
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by GRH » Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:18 am

Thanks OkobojiEagle, I'll try your suggestion on a few crankbaits and see how it works.

socal cranker
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by socal cranker » Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:16 am

Some brands make single hooks with the eye in line with the hook bend. I use them for small crank when fishing for trout.

Think they are called jigging hooks. I have the Owner version

GRH
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by GRH » Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:52 am

Thanks socal cranker,

After reading your reply I went to "Owners" website and I see what you are talking about. Also, I found this description from Bass Pro's website of exactly what I need. I don't know if I can post a direct link so I'll only post the description:

"New Owner Single Replacement Hook - 1X

The Owner 1X Single Replacement Hook is ideal for replacing trebles on freshwater and inshore lures. As many anglers know, treble hooks can be extremely difficult to use when fishing around lots of grass or cover. If you practice catch and release, these hooks are also less damaging to the fish. Remember to rig the front hook with the point facing forward and the rear hook with the point facing to the back. This hook features a Super Needle Point and a black chrome finish.

Perfect replacement for trebles when fishing round grass or cover
Less damaging to fish
Super Needle Point
Black chrome finish"
Last edited by GRH on Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:26 pm, edited 4 times in total.

socal cranker
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by socal cranker » Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:06 am

Cool glad to help. Being your typical crank addict I have all the sizes of those hooks. haha

GRH
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by GRH » Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:33 pm

socal cranker,

It sounds like you have a lot of experience doing single hook conversions on crankers. What has been the result when it comes to keeping the same balance/action, or adversely affecting the hookset, etc.?

Thanks,

RipN-Lips
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by RipN-Lips » Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:08 pm

Anxious to hear a followup once you do convert em. I've thought about it before but always been to scared/lazy to do it!! I'm sure it would make baits a little more Weedless

GRH
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by GRH » Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:38 am

RipN-Lips wrote:Anxious to hear a followup once you do convert em. I've thought about it before but always been to scared/lazy to do it!! I'm sure it would make baits a little more Weedless
Today I ordered a supply of different sizes. With shipping and having to wait for a good weather day for fishing it may be awhile, but I will report back with my results as soon as possible. Hopefully, they will work as good as the Siwash hooks on my inline spinners and spoons.

johns
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by johns » Sun Nov 30, 2014 10:08 am

This doesn't answer your question but I have 5 different baits( buzzjets,superspook jrs, kvd 2.5s ,minus 1s, and rapalas) where the leading hook on the treble has broken off due to catching so many fish on it. Due to lazziness and the fact that they are a lot more weedless I haven't replaced the hook. On the occasion where a fish pulls off I often wonder if I had replaced the hook would I have landed the fish . I now have 2 sets of certain baits, 1 where there is less cover and 1 where there are a lot of weeds. The leading hook did break off from catching so many fish on it !!

socal cranker
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by socal cranker » Tue Dec 02, 2014 6:36 am

I have found going to a single hook does reduce the amount of vegetation thas gets caught on the hooks. I find this conversion to work better with cranks that have a stronger and wider action. Some light balsa cranks are dependent on the wt of the hooks for additional ballast. Although the little Wee Baits pictured still performed well, but they have a strong action. With that said it is simply a matter of trial and error to see if the crank you have in mind maintains an action you are looking for.

cuke
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by cuke » Sun Jan 11, 2015 5:01 am

good stuff, as i don't use any trebles anymore- i have been using octopus hooks with the extra split ring which is a pain to rig. i like the rapala david fritts treble with the two small hooks broken off for attaching white chicken feathers and some krystal flash on the back of topwaters. all you need is to get the confidence in using them. also all the guff you will get from your fishin' pards :roll: