Poppers vs"walk the dog" stick baits

From crankbaits to jerkbaits to wakebaits and more, TackleTour's new hardbait sub-forum has been a long time coming. Well, now your wait is over!
bigturtle
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Poppers vs"walk the dog" stick baits

Post by bigturtle » Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:03 am

Im seeing a lot of people do "walk the dog" with stick baits than I see people using poppers. Both are topwater, yet one seem to be used a lot more often than the other, even-though poppers create a bigger surface disturbance.

Why? Any advantage im not seeing with walk-the-dog baits?

OkobojiEagle
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Poppers vs"walk the dog" stick baits

Post by OkobojiEagle » Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:08 pm

Subtlety often wins the day.

oe

smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by smalljaw » Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:19 pm

When you say "stick baits" , what are you referring to? The only stick baits I ever heard of are jerkbaits and senko style worms and because of that I'm not sure if you are referring too prop baits or spook type baits in general. If you mean spook baits, well they are designed to walk while poppers, not so much. One of my favorite poppers is the Storm Rattling Chug Bug, the reason is it was the first popper I ever had that could walk easily while still creating a lot of sound. I know that if you have enough slack in your line you can walk any popper but the chug bug does it almost on its own but walking a regular popper like a Pop-R requires a little know how or skill and it is why you don't see many walk the dog with those baits.

bigturtle
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bigturtle » Sun Apr 13, 2014 1:39 am

yes i meant spook baits.

NormanD
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by NormanD » Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:16 pm

I usually have both lures tied on all the time. I think they are two different lures that each have their place. There are times when the fish demonstrate a strong preference for one lure over the other. If that is the case, I go with it. Otherwise, I tend to fish the spook type lures in more open water and as more of a search lure. The popper is used closer to cover and up against the bank. Not a hard and fast rule, just how it works for me. Sometimes I switch between the two because it can get monotonous fishing a spook and I need to take a break. If you are not fishing a spook type lure, I think you are missing out. Besides, it is really fun getting doubles on the spook.

angry john
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by angry john » Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:47 pm

I fish spooks and r2s bubble walkers a lot. They have always caught me good fish and decent quantity. I own two r2s poppers that received great reviews here and i have never had a fish yet. Because they have not worked for me in the past they dont get a lot of line time, and the cycle begins again. I have never done well with slow fishing and that may be part of it.

bigturtle
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bigturtle » Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:02 am

I see........

I am planning on starting spooks this summer. Been looking at the zara spook Jr and one of these:

http://www.basspro.com/Heddon-One-Knock ... /10203464/
http://www.basspro.com/Heddon-Chugn-Spo ... 405010718/
http://www.basspro.com/Heddon-Rattlin-S ... /10203463/

Looking pretty hard at the One Knocker, but the rattle and chugn are pretty enticing too.........unfortunately not enough cash for all :(

was wondering if theres a point in combining a popper and a walk-the-dog bait.

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by njbasscat » Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:09 am

When the water is flat calm or has a slight ripple, I use poppers. When the wind kicks up, I use walkers. You should have both and try both on any given day because some days, fish just want one over the other.

NormanD
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by NormanD » Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:55 am

Do not overlook the super spook jr.
http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Heddon_F ... FDSSJ.html

bigturtle
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bigturtle » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:27 am

ya i mentioned super spook jr AND one of those.

Phantasy_Fishing
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Phantasy_Fishing » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:58 am

I prefer walking baits over poppers. I first started off using poppers because they were easier to use. Once I learned how to use walking baits, I don't use poppers as much anymore. Walking baits can pretty much do almost all the things a popper can do. However, a popper cannot do what a walking bait can do. I find the splashing action from walking baits really irresistible to fish. Generally, walking baits are used at a faster retrieve then poppers. But a walking bait can also be fished slow. Varying the retrieve speed, adding pauses, change of direction, etc are just a few different things a walking bait can do. So to me, its more versatile. I have always used poppers at a slower pace, so its usually never been the main lure of choice. Its always been used when I need a break from walking baits. One advantage I can think of for a popper would be when there are lots of loose floating weeds on the surface. Since poppers comes back in a straight line, there's less chance of fouling up. But a walking bait that slides back and forth will always foul up in those conditions. Poppers are more suited for flat calm water but really struggle on windy days. I do not like using poppers in streams and rivers where there is current. Walking baits are great in either glass calm or in choppy waters and are great in streams and rivers. The last thing I want to mention is, poppers are usually small. Walking baits can be small (like LC Sammy 65) and range up to massive Lunker Punkers. I've gone on many fishing trips without poppers and did just fine. I would never go fishing without a walking bait when targeting bass (largemouth and smallies) and esox species (pike and musky). As for combining a popper and walking bait like the LC gunfish, that just gives it more splashing while walking. It drives the fish crazy!

OkobojiEagle
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by OkobojiEagle » Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:22 am

LC Gunfish 95... best of both worlds.

oe

piranha
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by piranha » Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:02 pm

OSP Bent minnows are also the best of both worlds and more :) Do they get used by many in the US? I haven't read anything on this site about them, maybe 'old news'!

cheers

smalliesteve
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by smalliesteve » Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:14 am

I found the Evergreen Shower Blows Shorty to be even better than the Gunfish. And I really like the Gunfish. :D

Rfdong
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Rfdong » Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:08 pm

They are both top water but are not always effective at the same time. I've seen days and even seasons when one is better than the other by far......also have had a few instances where they preferred the popper so much more that I was forced to throw even though I lost a bunch of monsters due to bent hooks, but gotta get the bites in order to land them :D . Wouldn't eat spook, frog,wake bait or anything with heavier hooks......and I'm a top water fiend :big grin: