swimbaits

From crankbaits to jerkbaits to wakebaits and more, TackleTour's new hardbait sub-forum has been a long time coming. Well, now your wait is over!
hotdogin
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

swimbaits

Post by hotdogin » Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:11 am

So I'm looking to slowly ease myself into throwing swimbaits, but I don't feel the need to splurge on a dedicated rig just yet. What are some good reasonable priced swimbaits in the 1- 1 1/2 oz. range?

SObass
Angler
Angler

Re: swimbaits

Post by SObass » Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:39 pm

hotdogin wrote:So I'm looking to slowly ease myself into throwing swimbaits, but I don't feel the need to splurge on a dedicated rig just yet. What are some good reasonable priced swimbaits in the 1- 1 1/2 oz. range?
6'' ospreys are a great bait for a newbie or a long time swimbait user, I personally love throwing ospreys, line through or top hook. They're a little over your weight range but you can throw them on most heavy conventional rods if thats mandatory.

Plenty of good baits that you can thread onto a jighead from a skinny dipper to a trash fish that will produce well also.

hotdogin
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by hotdogin » Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:26 am

I know I throw all kinds of soft swim baits, but I was wondering more so about hard bodied swimbaits. Guess I should have specified in my post.

Toadslayer72
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Toadslayer72 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:48 am

Ok so the baits that I can think of immediately would be the River2Sea S-Waver and the Spro BBZ baits, BBZ-1 Shad and the 6"BBZ even though they are a little heavier. Also even though they are not a fish mimicking bait, the Bettencourt rats are great baits.

Inexpensive yet productive sub-2 oz. hardbaits are harder to come by, many more options in soft baits. If/when you are ready to step up to the next level, look no further than some Mattlures Hardgills. This is where you really start to see the separation in craftsmanship and you really get what you pay for, I actually think Matt's baits are a steal. Your options will open up A LOT more when you start looking at a little higher tier in weight and price.

Spot King
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Spot King » Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:06 pm

I would recommend you check out the 5" to 6" Bull Shad and the 7" MS Slammer.

8-)

hotdogin
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by hotdogin » Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:43 am

I see the bull shads every time I go to my local shop and even though I've been told that they are great baits I just think to myself "I can't spend $50 on something that looks like crap". I recently asked the shop owner about them and he told me he sold nearly a thousand within a couple weeks due to a tournament, but I still can't justify the cost based on their finish and what looks like poor quality.

jrob78
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jrob78 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:58 am

Check out the CL8 Bait Clacker. They make a 5" and a 7" with a 9" coming soon. They are well made baits that aren't too heavy and don't cost a fortune.

Spot King
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Spot King » Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:23 pm

Sometimes it shouldn't matter what you think about a bait; if the fish eat it. As long as it gets bit and catches me fish; it can look however it looks. I also recommended the Slammer. It's every bit as ugly and has caught me bass over 10 pounds. How the bait looks to you, shouldn't matter if it catches you fish. That shop isn't selling out because no one is catching fish with them. Think about it! ;)

Toadslayer72
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Toadslayer72 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:17 am

How did I forget the Slammer :oops: That is a great bait! And yeah dude, you should take the you out of it a little and build off of what other people have proven over time. Even though I don't have one yet, the Bull Shad is legit. I really believe that the way a bait feels to the fish is more important than how it looks. I think that proven baits get there because they put out the proper feel that tells the fish to capitalize on the feeding opportunity in front of them. Just imagine disregarding all of the baits out there that don't look good, hell Senkos look like cat turds, talk about looking like crap :lol: I know what you are saying about the higher price but that's just how it goes with swimbaits and honestly $50 ain't bad at all for a proven hardbait. Plus Triton Mike seems like a good dude.

On the homepage here you'll see a review of the Savage Line Thru Trout. In the review, something was said that I have experience in some form or other every trip out that can't be overlooked and that's the confidence you get from watching a well designed bait swimming. I experience a few different emotions when I see these baits coming back to the boat. Things like anticipation, appreciation, and awe for the hands that made the bait are usually at the forefront. I swear I'm always saying, out loud while by myself, how incredibly real this bait or that bait looks usually with a slight chuckle. All of that stuff keeps your head in a good place because it's definitely not a numbers game.

I know you said you want to ease yourself into it but you should check out the Southern Trout Eaters DVD if you haven't already. It's the BEST big bait fishing video going right now particularly for people just starting out. And well, you'll probably recognize some of the places they fish since it was all shot in your part of the country.

froggerbass
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by froggerbass » Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:53 pm

It's certainly on the lower end of cost, but a custom painted sebile catches alot of fish around lanier. Also, Swarming Hornet has a bait called a bite size herring that would definitely be worth checking out.

damian_megabass
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by damian_megabass » Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:44 am

3:16 Rising Son top hook version. It can be hooked as top hook or bottom hook :big grin:

spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spookybaits » Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:40 am

Given that your here in Georgia, I'm guessing your looking to imitate shad?

Personly, I love the 5" decoy swimbait. Weighs right at 1oz if I remember correctly, and very affordable.
Another good one that doesn't seem to be very popular is the Rago BVD swimbaits (small version). With those, I buy the top hook version (instead of the line-thru version), and rig it with the #6 owner stinger harness rig on the top, butch brown style.
Here's the harness rig- http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Owner_St ... -OSHR.html
Here's how I rig it- http://www.bigbass.0catch.com/Fish%20Ch ... g%20cr.jpg
Sometimes I cut the top hook off.
Search YouTube for 'butch brown Huddleston rig' or something to that effect for different rigging options.
I'll fish the decoys on Sufix 14lb flouro, bigger baits on 17lb, and big big stuff on 20lb(flouro or mono). Sufix brand flouro is the only flouro that I trust the knot strength for throwing big baits.

One thing to keep in mind- the old addage "match the hatch". Lots of small shad in the spring, but will be getting bigger as the year goes on. Spring-summer I'm mostly throwing small swimbaits, later summer-winter I throw bigger baits(like 6" huddlestons, 3:16 freestyles,wakes, etc.).

Now if your trying to imitate gizzard shad... Your gonna need to go big.

Pick up the DVD- southern trout eaters for more info & inspiration on swimbait fishing in the south.

Swimbait fishing can be really discouraging(especially in the south), moreso than any other technique. Just gotta stay persistent at it, and keep learning along the way. Also, if you haven't already, join the 2 big swimbait forums and read the hell out of the threads there(especially old threads).

And here's a swimbait guide service here in Ga. He'll get ya on some swimbait fish & you'll learn a ton of first hand experience- http://www.fishatl.com/guideservice.html
(His baits are sick too).

Hope that helps.

hotdogin
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by hotdogin » Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:23 am

It's only natural to want to spend my hard earned money that is not only appealing to the fish, but to myself as well. When the local shop owner told me that sold nearly 1000 in a span of two weeks I totally believe him. I have a hard time because the Bull Shad just looks unfinished. Maybe one day I'll splurge and get one of the smaller models and give it a try.

When I think of spending $50+ on bait based on quality and finish my mind always goes to Pizz Customs. I would gladly pay $100 for his work.

holden234
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by holden234 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:55 pm

Spookybaits has given you the best advice about starting with swimbaits. Randall Kirkpatrick who runs the guide service also makes baits. I just purchased one from him and I must say this bait is first class all the way. I have many hard swimbaits and in fact that is about all I fish now. Do the Southern Trout Eaters DVD and check with Randall about his baits. Believe me his baits are worth the wait to get them and worth their price. Good luck with your swimbait fishing.

frenchman
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by frenchman » Sat Feb 15, 2014 2:03 pm

3:16 soft baits are good. My favorite is the Minnow. Very versatile.

The Hudd minnow is fantastic too.