What size replacement gear for RC STX

From crankbaits to jerkbaits to wakebaits and more, TackleTour's new hardbait sub-forum has been a long time coming. Well, now your wait is over!
smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: What size replacement gear for RC STX

Post by smalljaw » Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:25 am

joeyblackwood wrote:
jeb wrote:When I put the #6 death traps and the stock STX hooks on my reloading powder scale, they weigh the same.

Did you get a floating STX instead of a suspending model?
Since replacing with the owners, it now sinks ever so slightly, I may have to just change out the first hook with the heavier owners. Suspending jerks are great fish catchers, but they are becoming a pain to tune.

Where are you testing out your baits? I ask because water temp will affect the suspending ability a great deal. For an example I say the Lucky Craft Pointers are probably the best suspending baits right out of the box as they seem to work over a wider temperature range. You maybe testing in different temps and if that is the case it is hard to dial it in. I'd get them right when I was home, this was way before suspend dots, I couldn't afford to drill out and possibly ruin a bait so I was using match stick lead weights. I call them that because they came in like a match pack and were about the same size as a match, you would pull one or 2 from the pack and wrap it around the middle and front treble on a Rogue and I had a lot I made that out on the lake they would sink and some would rise but even if they would rise slowly it was good as most know the 110 is a slow flaot and does really well.

jeb
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jeb » Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:33 pm

njbasscat wrote:
jeb wrote:MB 110's are terrible suspenders out of the box. And the hooks are frail on them. Sharp, but easy to break.
That's because their not suspenders, their slow floats.
http://www.megabassusa.com/products/vision-110
MB lists them as Slow Float/Suspend. But I've never seen one suspend w/o a lot of help to get there.

Spot King
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Spot King » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:52 am

#2 Owner Hyper Wire Split Rings and #6 Gamakatsu Round Bends for me. Three of each!

8-)

angry john
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by angry john » Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:38 pm

Spot King wrote:#2 Owner Hyper Wire Split Rings and #6 Gamakatsu Round Bends for me. Three of each!

8-)
I tried this and they slowly sink.

falcon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by falcon » Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:15 am

Having not seen the jr model, does it share the same #6 hooks?

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by cndbasshunter » Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:51 am

falcon wrote:Having not seen the jr model, does it share the same #6 hooks?
no smaller size 8 looks like.

Spot King
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Spot King » Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:58 pm

angry john wrote:
Spot King wrote:#2 Owner Hyper Wire Split Rings and #6 Gamakatsu Round Bends for me. Three of each!

8-)
I tried this and they slowly sink.
Mine didn't sink, but water temp does make a difference. I'll admit, I fish 110s a lot more; and I use the same split ring/hook setup for them. The RC STX is a great bait though. I let my friends fish it instead of the 110s and it sticks fish. Great bait for the money.

angry john
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by angry john » Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:50 pm

I love the bait, and will try the death trap trebles soon. The only place i have found them at a reasonable price is
http://www.jannsnetcraft.com/daiichi-tr ... 61210.aspx.