Koppers BaitBall: Just more hype...

From crankbaits to jerkbaits to wakebaits and more, TackleTour's new hardbait sub-forum has been a long time coming. Well, now your wait is over!
joeyblackwood
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Koppers BaitBall: Just more hype...

Post by joeyblackwood » Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:50 pm

They say the success of an artificial lure doesn't lie in the number of fish it catches, but rather the number of FISHERMAN it does. Nothing could be truer to that statement than the Koppers new "Baitball" series. After seeing and reading many reviews on these new lures one thing is certain....they are spinnerbait knockoffs. Spinnerbaits have been serving the purpose of these newfangled lures for decades, it is just now Koppers is brilliant enough to add some cool ANIMAL INSTINCT SCIENCE to the mix in their demonstration videos. But with all their fancy computer imaging they only prove one thing: THE BLACK BASS SPECIES WILL EAT ABSOLUTELY ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING YOU THROW AT THEM!

My advice, save your money, use the lures in your tackle box until you lose them....when you do, by all means go out and buy a new Koppers "Baitball," (I know for a fact Koppers make a quality product) but don't do it because it is some magic lure.....it is merely a solid version of a multi-bladed spinnerbait and like anything else you tie on a line and throw into bass waters....eventually....it will catch you some nice fish. Just MHO.....and who am I but a savvy consumer who doesn't buy into marketing hype. The question is.....what type of consumer are you? BAIT MONKEY ANYONE?

smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Koppers BaitBall: Just more hype...

Post by smalljaw » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:30 pm

I will agree and I will also go a step further and say everything for sale has some marketing hype but that is how everything in the marketplace works. Now, as to your statement about bass eating whatever you throw at them, well it is kind of true but this is a hobby and for some a profession, and one aspect of the fishing hobby is to buy tackle. Imagine what kind of equipment might be around for you to use if everyone had that attitude, we may have a spinning rod or a crude casting rod but not much else, the fact is everyone keeps trying different ideas and were I will disagree with you is the fact that fish become conditioned to lures very quickly and it is why something gets hot right out of the gate and cools down over time as fish become conditioned so you need something a little different every now and again. Besides, what fun is it to use what you have and not buy anything new?

BucketHunter
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BucketHunter » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:41 pm

:roll:
spinnerbaits cannot contact cover and pause, back up, and rise.
spinnerbaits cannot suspend.
spinnerbaits cannot be retrieved at a consistent known depth.
spinnerbaits cannot walk the dog, rip side to side, splash on top, or wiggle.
The whole point of this site is tackle, so why sh*t on something you've never even laid hands on? It's an innovation, it's cool, and who knows it might even catch fish. If bass are so EASY to catch, why do the same 25 people consistently produce more than everyone else in the world and cash cheques at tournaments? You must catch monster bags every time you're on the water if they will eat anything you throw at them!

Your logic means that every big time bait, like the big-o, the rattletrap, rapala floater, senko, Alabama rig, etc. was just our imagination? That guys didn't start weighing huge bags because they were able to make a presentation that fish hadn't seen or been conditioned to yet? Is that all in our imagination?

Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Tokugawa » Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:43 am

Eh - if you want it, buy it. If you don't, then don't. Pretty easy. Fairly simple. :lol:

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:53 am

Tokugawa wrote:Eh - if you want it, buy it. If you don't, then don't. Pretty easy. Fairly simple. :lol:
Ditto.

damian_megabass
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by damian_megabass » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:20 am

Tokugawa wrote:Eh - if you want it, buy it. If you don't, then don't. Pretty easy. Fairly simple. :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

People said Megabass stuff is too expensive and it only catches the fisherman and all a hype.....then all of the sudden more and more people own Megabass gear ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

joeyblackwood
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by joeyblackwood » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:21 am

BucketHunter wrote::roll:
The whole point of this site is tackle, so why sh*t on something you've never even laid hands on? It's an innovation, it's cool, and who knows it might even catch fish. If bass are so EASY to catch, why do the same 25 people consistently produce more than everyone else in the world and cash cheques at tournaments? You must catch monster bags every time you're on the water if they will eat anything you throw at them!

Your logic means that every big time bait, like the big-o, the rattletrap, rapala floater, senko, Alabama rig, etc. was just our imagination? That guys didn't start weighing huge bags because they were able to make a presentation that fish hadn't seen or been conditioned to yet? Is that all in our imagination?

Said by an obviously VERY poor spinnerbait fisherman, you need to watch some KVD videos to improve your spinnerbait tactics: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Hpkb-PwQY4

You can in fact do all the things you mention with a spinnerbait, and as I said in the OP, fisherman have been doing this for DECADES with them.

big_gee
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by big_gee » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:39 am

Kevin is good but even I know he can't get a spinnetbait to suspend or back up. I love throwing spinnerbaits too but a crankbait can do things a spinnerbait can't.

I love throwing cranks and have lots of XD's but I will definitely be trying these new baits in our clear deep water.

I'm in on the hype. :lol: :lol:

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:40 am

Wrong...and KVD is not the BEST spinnerbait fisherman out there. Best known on the pro tour, okay.

SBs, do not suspend, and cannot impart certain actions.

Spinnerbaits are my #1 overall bass catcher (I fish customs from 1/4oz to 2oz sizes, from bulging topwater to dragging 20 FOW) and are one of the most versatile lures in FW or SW, for many species of fish...however, spinnerbaits will not replace hardbaits.

Also, who are you to assume BucketHunter's spinnerbait fishing capacities and abilities? =;

tywithay
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by tywithay » Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:34 am

I assume you've fished it extensively to gather these thoughts? It still cracks me up when people put down products they've never seen or used. This reminds me of the typical bass pro review

Gblaze
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Gblaze » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:08 am

Im a tackle junky too - but the whole bass are conditioned thing is blown up beyond the evidence provided by my reality. Otherwise - senko's wouldnt work by now, yet they do - and 80% of the anglers i know succumb to throwing one when nothing else works.

The OP has a valid point - and is entitled to his opinion -
but I still enjoy the innovation and creativity behind new lure offerings and I do think there are presentations that work some days and not others

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:09 am

OP is what, 27 posts into his TT "career"? #27 is a good one though...'Ole Steve Atwater...those were the days! :big grin:

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:11 am

Gblaze wrote:The OP has a valid point - and is entitled to his opinion -
Yes...but he is STRETCHING on a few things:

- SBs cannot do all he states

- KVD is NOT the best SB fisher

- He still has no reason to call out BucketHunter on his SB fishing skills/experience

BucketHunter
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BucketHunter » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:44 am

joeyblackwood wrote:
BucketHunter wrote::roll:

Said by an obviously VERY poor spinnerbait fisherman, you need to watch some KVD videos to improve your spinnerbait tactics: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Hpkb-PwQY4

You can in fact do all the things you mention with a spinnerbait, and as I said in the OP, fisherman have been doing this for DECADES with them.
I'll just let you read and digest what I originally wrote, again, because it all still sticks and you have not even begun to adequately challenged one single statement.
Just because you say it doesn't make it right. You have proven nothing. My point stands.
The best part about the your whole post is your suggestion that I need to watch some videos to learn how to fish a spinnerbait. I'll put your KVD video watching against my 30 years of on water experience with jerbaits, ripbaits, crankbaits, walking baits, gliding baits, popping baits and yes SPINNERBAITS then see where we stand at the end of the day. Oh shoot I forgot that bass bite anything you throw at them where you live so it looks like I might be outmatched here. :lol:

I don't want to come like an A$$hole here buddy but you have 27 posts, and there are far more knowledgable, and far more severe people than me in the world. You need to know your role son.

"Mr. Madison, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul. " -Principal, Billy Madison

Gblaze
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Gblaze » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:50 am

dragon1 wrote:
Gblaze wrote:The OP has a valid point - and is entitled to his opinion -
Yes...but he is STRETCHING on a few things:

- SBs cannot do all he states

- KVD is NOT the best SB fisher

- He still has no reason to call out BucketHunter on his SB fishing skills/experience
True on all counts :-k