Koppers changes the game

From crankbaits to jerkbaits to wakebaits and more, TackleTour's new hardbait sub-forum has been a long time coming. Well, now your wait is over!
tywithay
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Koppers changes the game

Post by tywithay » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:21 pm

This is amazing....I can't wait to throw one.
http://www.anglerschannel.com/content/l ... icast-2013

africanbass
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: Koppers changes the game

Post by africanbass » Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:13 pm

I like :lol:

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:11 am

Wow...a school of baitfish, shad, bluegill, perch, etc., OR mix and match three whacked out color patterns!?!

If the quality and action is on par, then these will have to get into my tackle box. :big grin:

smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by smalljaw » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:25 am

Wired2Fish has pics of cranks and what looks to be jerkbaits that appear to be 2 or 3 different minnows, I keep thinking gimmick but I could really see it working so I too will have some, this is 1 time were I say I don't care how much it is, I will have at least 1.

JerryC
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by JerryC » Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:59 am

thinking outside the box, usually works.. im game for these!

igl00jx
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by igl00jx » Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:08 am

http://www.wired2fish.com/icast-2013-ko ... all-lures/
Above article indicates the bait ball cranks to be $20. Not too shabby of a price. I want my bait ball now :D

cst
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by cst » Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:20 am

Cool idea but I don't think it's original.

I can't find a picture of it at the moment but I saw a Mother painted to look like two bass :)

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:29 am

Multiple blades and obviously the reborn umbrella rig are also representative of this "school image"...this said, you can't stop and suspend either of those lures to give the feesh a longer/closer look!

Lunker_Punker
Angler
Angler

Post by Lunker_Punker » Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:35 pm

That looks kinda silly to me, but i remember feeling similarly unimpressed when i opened my first Blugill squarebill. That is untill it started out producing all my other shallow cranks by 3-1.

GARRIGA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GARRIGA » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:07 pm

Don't predators key on a single individual within a bait ball versus trying to swallow the entire ball? The other issue is a bass actually seeing this as more than one bait versus just seeing another bait with a weird paint job. Seems like they are capitalizing on the A-Rig popularity without the hassle of the A-Rig but also missing the mass size appeal and individual baits offered by the A-Rig.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:37 am

GARRIGA wrote:Don't predators key on a single individual within a bait ball versus trying to swallow the entire ball? The other issue is a bass actually seeing this as more than one bait versus just seeing another bait with a weird paint job. Seems like they are capitalizing on the A-Rig popularity without the hassle of the A-Rig but also missing the mass size appeal and individual baits offered by the A-Rig.
I will venture to guess that this Kopper lure will be much easier to cast on just about any type of tackle vs an umbrella rig.

Bass will key on an individual baitfish if it separates from the others...if schooled tightly, they will hit/bust through several in a bunch (ie, smaller shad, bass fry, minnows, etc.).

Regardless, the fish will not see the details of this lure, or any lure, like the human eye will. This said, I like the idea of several different colors in baitfish profiles inside the actual "baitfish profile/lure".

Toadslayer72
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Toadslayer72 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:16 am

Yeah and let's not forget the often overlooked but probably equally (if not more) important signature that fish leave behind. At least with the A-Rig, you have individual baits leaving individual signatures. With this thing all you have is a single signature just like any other standard single bait. So it won't feel like a bait ball to a predator, especially one that's more mature.

It's looking more to me like this bait is meant to be visually appealing to fishermen. Not saying it won't catch fish but probably not for the main reason that's being pitched.

tH3_Guy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by tH3_Guy » Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:21 am

Gimmick. When a lure this compact flies by a fish, I doubt they will be like, there is a group bait let me get that one.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:17 am

Toadslayer72 wrote:Yeah and let's not forget the often overlooked but probably equally (if not more) important signature that fish leave behind. At least with the A-Rig, you have individual baits leaving individual signatures. With this thing all you have is a single signature just like any other standard single bait. So it won't feel like a bait ball to a predator, especially one that's more mature.

It's looking more to me like this bait is meant to be visually appealing to fishermen. Not saying it won't catch fish but probably not for the main reason that's being pitched.
Agreed...just like with multiple blades on spinners. Most lures IMO, are gimmicky - and when it comes to color patterns, most are meant to catch fishers more than fish. I have never fished Kopper's cranks, so I have no experience as to their effectiveness. Hopefully these will fish better than any of the Sebile products I have used...esp. $ for $.

GARRIGA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GARRIGA » Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:14 am

Seems like Koppers is capitalizing on the Swimbait craze where realism is a prerequisite and yet one of the most successful lures ever made for swimbaiting is based on the action of its tail more than an exact replica scale count. Fisherman are easy targets thinking the lure won the Classic versus the one chucking it.

I give them credit for thinking outside the box but I tend to place more value on fish like movements than visual pop. I also believe hungry bass eat just about anything resembling food once it's near their big mouth. Usually the tendencies of an opportunistic feeder.