Breaking the rules

From crankbaits to jerkbaits to wakebaits and more, TackleTour's new hardbait sub-forum has been a long time coming. Well, now your wait is over!
goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Breaking the rules

Post by goldrod » Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:15 pm

Most people will tell you to match the hatch when it comes to c/b's.
However I've never seen anything in the water that looks like an all chartreuse c/b?
So my question is when do you use and all chart c/b? I would imagine that it will be
in dirty dingy water, and so my next question would be when would you use and all white
c/b?

I know in clear water you want to use a more life like lure and while vibration is a factor
i just want to stick with the colors the seem the break the rules , like yozuri's black see
thru c/b, thats one that will catch fish. They call it smoke I think but for clear to semi stain
water it will work.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Breaking the rules

Post by dragon1 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:07 am

I do well with all white/bone and chartreuse under cloudy conditions, and white any time shad is running. Otherwise I very rarely throw a white crank.

smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by smalljaw » Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:55 am

There are a lot of theories about match the hatch but you need to remember that in nature there is no medicene, no doctors, no nothing so the sick and the weak fall victim to predation. When a fish is looking at a big ball of bait they will sometimes watch to see which are weak or injured or they will sometimes crash the bait trying to injure or catch one but they need to get more energy than they expend or it is for not. That is why when matching the hatch, a difference signals weakness and it sometimes the odd color bait that gets the attention as the fish is genetically programed to get the injured and dying. Chartreuse for me is a stained water color unless the water contains smallies and they react to bright color more so than largemouth. Match the hatch is important when you aren't on schools of bait and you're looking to pick up fish especially in clear shallow water, if the fish are aggressive then a bright colored bait will work but a neutral mood means more natural will be the ticket.

jrob78
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jrob78 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:52 pm

I think when you're looking for a reaction strike, sometimes all rules go out the window. To get a reaction, you need something the fish can see. They aren't studying your bait or trying to figure out what it is. They see it come crashing by and just strike before it gets away.

Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Tokugawa » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:49 am

The fish sometimes go out to feed without their species guide in hand. :strface:

In all seriousness, in stained water chart is one of the most visible colors. It can also look like a punkinseed some times of year.

http://tnfish.org/PhotoGalleryFish_TWRA ... om_jpg.htm

hmnginmn
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by hmnginmn » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:24 pm

I agree with dragon. I like using white on cloudy days but that alone shouldnt stop you from trying them on clearer conditions. Let the fish tell you what they want. I find that here in MN (or it might just be me) that the shell white color from lucky craft is very underrated. Its been the most productive color for me at least.

Edited. Bad spelling from phone...