Bassmaster classic Winning baits

From crankbaits to jerkbaits to wakebaits and more, TackleTour's new hardbait sub-forum has been a long time coming. Well, now your wait is over!
JerryC
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Bassmaster classic Winning baits

Post by JerryC » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:36 am

Watched the classic lastnight on my PC. Cliff Pace took the win as the 2013 classic winner. His winning baits consisted of Jackall lures. Squad minnow, soul shad and the Cherry DD. He was also able to pic them up on a jig with his trailer dipped in orange dye. Other lures I heard from the top 6 were the rap aka husky jerk, xrap and more football jigs. Ike said he got a bunch on the new rapala scatter rap as well.
Last edited by JerryC on Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Bandmaster classic Winning baits

Post by smalljaw » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:50 am

I'm waiting to see how many guys will swear he was using a megabass 110...lol. The one tournament of the year you can be assured that guys are using sponsors bait and tackle is the classic, too many eyes to do something like that.

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Bassmaster classic Winning baits

Post by cndbasshunter » Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:29 am

i should just throw away all my 110's and get husky jerks! :oops:

JerryC
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by JerryC » Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:45 am

I am sure some anglers got them on MB 110's, just not enough of them!

Jackall IMO are great lures all together.. i always have a jackle hardbait or softbait tied on when fishing..

SaltyBass
Angler
Angler

Re: Bandmaster classic Winning baits

Post by SaltyBass » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:23 am

smalljaw wrote:I'm waiting to see how many guys will swear he was using a megabass 110...lol. The one tournament of the year you can be assured that guys are using sponsors bait and tackle is the classic, too many eyes to do something like that.
I think Hank Cherry said he was using the vision 110 +1 for the first few days. http://www.bassmaster.com/video/classic ... conference

steve1206
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by steve1206 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:49 am

JerryC wrote:Watched the classic lastnight on my PC. Cliff Pace took the win as the 2013 classic winner. His winning baits consisted of Jackall lures. Squad minnow, soul shad and the Cherry DD. He was also able to pic them up on a jig with his trailer dipped in orange dye. Other lures I heard from the top 6 were the rap aka husky jerk, xrap and more football jigs. Ike said he got a bunch on the new rapala scatter rap as well.
Ike mentioned the Scatter Rap on stage, but was screaming "DT-6" from his boat on Sunday..

JerryC
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by JerryC » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:57 am

steve1206 wrote:
JerryC wrote:Watched the classic lastnight on my PC. Cliff Pace took the win as the 2013 classic winner. His winning baits consisted of Jackall lures. Squad minnow, soul shad and the Cherry DD. He was also able to pic them up on a jig with his trailer dipped in orange dye. Other lures I heard from the top 6 were the rap aka husky jerk, xrap and more football jigs. Ike said he got a bunch on the new rapala scatter rap as well.
Ike mentioned the Scatter Rap on stage, but was screaming "DT-6" from his boat on Sunday..
LOL..

smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by smalljaw » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:47 pm

Brandon P. was using the Storm Twitch Stick and finished 2nd, I don't think it really matters, the important thing was finding the fish, and it seems like a crankbait and a jig were doing most of the damage but Mike Mclellend said he didn't get many on a jerkbait but all the bigger fish came on it.

LAGVPI99
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by LAGVPI99 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:27 am

At the Classic, the pros will throw whatever is the best lure for that moment. Period.

Sponsorships go out the window in the boat. I've watched too many shows to know that what they say and what they use is often different.

One great example was the KVD Pittsburgh Classic. Even he admitted that he was throwing an old Rogue (I think...I know it wasn't a SK bait).

Some lie about it, some admit it. BTW, KVD actually mentioned to me in person recently that he uses PP Super Slick 8 braid.

He also seemed to be a really nice guy in person.

I don't blame anyone for throwing what will win them the Classic - I just hope that they will admit it afterwards. Too many times they don't and the camera footage tells the truth.

smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by smalljaw » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:17 pm

LAGVPI99 wrote:At the Classic, the pros will throw whatever is the best lure for that moment. Period.

Sponsorships go out the window in the boat. I've watched too many shows to know that what they say and what they use is often different.

One great example was the KVD Pittsburgh Classic. Even he admitted that he was throwing an old Rogue (I think...I know it wasn't a SK bait).

Some lie about it, some admit it. BTW, KVD actually mentioned to me in person recently that he uses PP Super Slick 8 braid.

He also seemed to be a really nice guy in person.

I don't blame anyone for throwing what will win them the Classic - I just hope that they will admit it afterwards. Too many times they don't and the camera footage tells the truth.
I think you were talking to an imposter!! At other tournaments they can get away with using a non sposor bait but at the classic there are too many eyes on to do that. The 2005 classic (I was at that one) KVD won on a Rogue, yes it is true but it was a pre-pradco smithwick product so he wasn't in conflict with SK. The 2nd occasion I talked to KVD was in Timonium MD at the bass expo, I specifically asked him about line and if he strays when no one is looking and even though I figured he just give me a line he was forthcoming. He said that there are products they use that aren't sponsor product, like custom made baits or old off the market baits like the rogue and a few others he owns but as far a line and tackle are concerned he wouldn't even think of using anyone elses stuff as they have stuck with him his whole career so he wouldn't even fun fish. Even his kids usQuantum rods and reels and BPS line, even his friendship with Zona goes on hold, he is the only gues on Mark Zonas show that wasn't using or asked to use Shimano product. I highly doubt he told you he uses power pro super slick 8. 1 thing to remember is most of of here are fans and we all at one time or another get to trade some words with pros either at events or at shows. I think you have your pro messed up.

John Puckett
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by John Puckett » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:16 pm

smalljaw, that's pretty harsh calling someone a liar like that, wow. On this years show where Zona and KVD fished together KVD mentioned Power Pro being on the rod he was using that day, so I think LAGVPI99 is telling the truth here.

KCL655321
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by KCL655321 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:49 pm

KVD uses PP braid, he name dropped it during a Bass Pros segment for drop shotting while drifting recently & I've seen him do it several times, he just doesn't use braid all that often, so you don't hear it all that much. I think I've seen a couple other BPS line boys using something other than BPS braid too, they must not be to big of fans of the stuff.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:36 am

Maybe most pros begin throwing a bait from a sponsor, but if it's not getting bit they switch to something else? I'd do the same thing, use whats working and is gonna get me paid. If KVD is throwing his new Strike King slash bait and needs another type of jerk bait that Strike King does not offer, what is he gonna do? He's gonna tie on a bait that works better for the current conditions, regardless who makes it. That's the name of the game. Obviously what's aired to the public doesn't consist of footage or direct commentary regarding the exact bait and pattern being used. That's why sponsors blow the boats and jerseys up with their logos. They pay the angler to advertise and win. A better finish the more the angler gets paid from these sponsors. They don't only get paid if they win while using that sponsors bait. That's not very realistic. I think anglers tell more indirect fibs than they do direct lies. If the angler says I was throwing a Yum Dinger because he is sponsored by Yum, he had likely thrown it at some point during the tournament. However what won him the tournament was actually a Senko. They don't lie and say, yeah I caught that winning kicker fish on a Yum Dinger. They know they run the risk of getting caught in a straight out lie by persons who saw the actual bait used. They're not stupid. Perhaps is it possible that when a person hears a pro talk on TV or in person, they can make assumptions based on what they thought they heard. Communication is not always clear, and five people that sat in on a conversation can draw five different conclusions from the meeting. It happens every day. With all that being said, I would certainly take a greater interest if we were told what baits these pros used, and why they used them. I'm only interested in educational type fishing shows that can help me become a better angler.

LAGVPI99
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by LAGVPI99 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:13 am

Lots of Kook-Aid being consumed here by some. The top pros are going to throw what wins. (See George Cochran on G-Ville throwing a Pointer but SAYING he threw a Wild Shiner as an example - he 'mis-remembered' what he was throwing.)

I specifically asked KVD about flipping with braid and a leader and what rod I should use. He recommended no leader unless the water is gin clear, an EXO 7'6" flipping stick (but said he likes the 7'4" for most pitching) and PP SS8. Believe what you want. He did push his line conditioner for the braid - I have no idea if it works or not.

He was really nice and approachable - and carrying a shopping basket with all SK baits in it - (like he was really needing to buy baits). I really appreciated the fact that he took some moments to help me out.

The big boys throw what wins...then their company comes out with a clone and they throw that......they have just a few chances to win the big tourneys.

I have no doubt he threw the KVD 1.5 and Redeye Shad for his latest Classic victories, but...what do you think he threw before those baits were available? Not a SK bait.

Pros have access to baits we don't and they throw them to see if they work then they advise their company to make them. This is a classic business model - not just for tackle companies. Strike King is not going to make a 'new' and revolutionary bait...See the King Shad etc. ABT made them - most of us had never heard of them but SK buys the baits and then moves the bait to main stream. This is a marketing/economics lesson...Think the difference in 'market leader' and 'innovator'. Why risk bringing a bait out that no one really wants? Let the demand build first.

For the record...I've had great luck with KVD Trebles and Grip-Pin hooks, great luck with most SK baits (diamond shad not included - ugh), had bad luck with Quantum stuff, and like the FC he uses.

The fish would all just turn belly-up for KVD and let him pick the best five in the lake if he began using Shimano reels....

LAGVPI99
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by LAGVPI99 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:15 am

BTW, well said Hog