Popper Patterns

From crankbaits to jerkbaits to wakebaits and more, TackleTour's new hardbait sub-forum has been a long time coming. Well, now your wait is over!
DUZBASS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Popper Patterns

Post by DUZBASS » Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:00 am

I used to throw poppers a ton years ago mainly late or early for fun but have gotten away from them as a go to pattern these days. I have a few and pull them out from time to time but I would like to throw them more.

Can you popper pros give me some tips on some popper patterns? Seasons, conditions, water temps, etc :?:

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Popper Patterns

Post by dragon1 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:11 am

I will list a few non-obvious ones ;) ...cloudy days, rainy days, other type perfect topwater conditions will be listed surely enough for you.

Bright light, early - mid spring, choppy shallow water on spawning flats...speed pop the bait/walk it and then dead stick...repeat.

Drop a big popper next to cover, let the ripples settle and give it a hard POP...let it sit...twitch...twitch...twitch...sit...POP.

Cold water, sunny/stable day in coves...a small/finesse popper worked slowly around shoreline will still bring them up.

Welcome back to a classic tech Duz...good luck this year.

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:46 am

"Louie, Louie" The Kingsmen version not the Beach Boys version.

jerkbait22
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jerkbait22 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:38 am

I have had the most luck with the Rio Rico. I like aurora ice for clear water. When a finesse situation is called for I like the yellow magic or sugoi splash.

Rio Rico is my favorite. Casts far has a great popping action and catches big fish.

For conditions I can pretty much echo what was already stated. I have best luck on cloudy days, in and around pads or weeds, and also any type of weather during the post spawn.

I like throwing the walking baits when smallmouth are around because I can cover water faster but it seems like a lot of times largemouth prefer poppers over the walking baits and vice versa.

smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by smalljaw » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:47 pm

The popper is my "dog days" topwater bait. A cool morning in late July or August I'll throw a popper, I've had more success with it at that time than any other type I use. My personal choices are a Storm Rattlin' Chung Bug, a Premium Pop'r which is slightly larger with a better finish, and an Xcalibur Zell Pop.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:29 pm

Here are some of my favs in addition to the listed Yellow Magic, Rio and Rio Rico:

Iovino Splash-its...smallies and LM both nail this little bait.

Buddha Baits Popfire...if you can find one, buy it. One of the most unique profiles and spitting/popping actions out there...and this bait sits tail down and tips back and forth, causing the tail feather to "fan"/tease the fish.

Viva Bug Eye, both sizes.

Chug Bug in the larger sizes

Daiwa Popper Zero - awesome little finesse popper and is a blast with white bass and smaller bass in general.

The one popper that I am excited about this year is the MB PopMax. I think this will be an "explosive" power popper/walker.

DUZBASS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by DUZBASS » Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:19 am

Thanks for the replies guys, it sounds like they can be a good "finesse" type topwater. I think I just need to throw them more. I have gotten stuck throwing the giant dog-x, wake/prop baits and buzzbaits/toads for my topwater but I am probably passing up some catchable fish by using baits that are more for a reaction bite and relatively fast moving.
dragon1 wrote: Welcome back to a classic tech Duz...good luck this year.
Thanks man, same to you! I think fishing poppers more again is going to be a blast, like going back in my pond hopping days with the ole hula popper/chug bug/pop r :big grin: Nothing quite like that action. I will primarily be fishing the pop-x and pop max and I will report my findings ;)

keep the tips coming!

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:12 pm

I still love throwing my Chug Bugs every chance I get.

aeronut
Angler
Angler

Post by aeronut » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:54 am

Chuck woolery moto chug. Ok I admit I bought one years ago. Never got bit on it though

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:43 pm

aeronut wrote:Chuck woolery moto chug. Ok I admit I bought one years ago. Never got bit on it though
Not all bass are compatible with this "dating popper"! :lol:

aeronut
Angler
Angler

Post by aeronut » Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:03 am

Nice one

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:31 am

heddon's pop'n image is one of the best ever. I am suprised that no one mentioned it.

http://images.ebsco.com/lurenet/X9220DBB.jpg
Im using 12# test and my cadence is pop 1 one thousand, 2 thru 7 pop pop.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:24 pm

If you like the Devil's Horse (the original wooden, not the crap plastic ones now), check out the Gilmore Jumpers. ;)

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Mon Dec 26, 2016 11:46 am

Im not sure you'd classify the jackall mud sucker 110 as a popper
but you can pop it and it will water up. its not your traditional blurp blurp or plop plop but it has this
weird but effective action. I work it slow until i see that water drop go up in the air and come back down. let it sit and do it again
They simply kill it
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

NJ Jigman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by NJ Jigman » Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:59 am

aeronut, i had a chuck woolery bug years ago. i must have caught 100 smallies on it at lake Winnapausaukie one vacation trip before a pike or muskie ate it. snapped the metal wire that came out of it to make it chug. as goofie as that thing was the fish loved it. as for poppers got to be the yogui