Lunker Punker walking advice

From crankbaits to jerkbaits to wakebaits and more, TackleTour's new hardbait sub-forum has been a long time coming. Well, now your wait is over!
i_am_R2
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Lunker Punker walking advice

Post by i_am_R2 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:03 pm

Hi All, I was wondering if anyone can provide some tips on walking 5 & 6 inch injected Lunker Punkers. I was testing them out yesterday and could not get them to walk, only chug forward. It was a little choppy but other baits were fine. If you can share your techniques it would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance everyone!

Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: Lunker Punker walking advice

Post by Tokugawa » Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:33 pm

Make sure you are giving the bait slack after the pull.

i_am_R2
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by i_am_R2 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:28 am

Thanks for the tip! I will try that next time. Guess it needs a little more than what I am used to.

Thanks again Tokugawa!

civicrr
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by civicrr » Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:05 pm

I haven't really fished the 5". On the 6", I always fished it with braid. The non-stretch properties of the braid really seems to help it walk easily.

KlingerNOK
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by KlingerNOK » Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:05 pm

Another tip: it's not just a bigger Spook and it doesn't walk in the quite the same manner.
It really wants to take off and glide one way then the other.

i_am_R2
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by i_am_R2 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:04 pm

Thanks everyone for the additional info! Haven't been able to test much lately but will post a pic of the first fish caught with it (if that ever happens :lol: )

GARRIGA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GARRIGA » Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:22 am

Search the web for videos. Pretty simple once you get the rhythm. I've thrown the 6" wooden which I'm told is easier than the injected but the principle should be the same. As said, slack line, braid and I use a Dobyns 795ML which seems to have the right tip length to make it walk/glide for me. The handle is longer than recommended and most prefer the non ML version. I also noticed a high speed retrieve reel shines. I throw mine on a Z2020SHL with 32" IPT at full spool. Made a big difference for me picking up the slack after each rod twitch. It's also fast enough you can often make the Punker move with the reel and that saves you some arm aches at the end of the day. The wooden version is a commitment to throw. Not sure about the injected.