Square bill

From crankbaits to jerkbaits to wakebaits and more, TackleTour's new hardbait sub-forum has been a long time coming. Well, now your wait is over!
Versatile Futurian
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Square bill

Post by Versatile Futurian » Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:24 pm

I'm trying to decide on a square bill. I can't decide on whether to go with plastic or wood. I was looking at the LC BDS 3 and the 6th Sense Crush for plastic. WEC E2 and the Thundershad grandmother for wood. Any suggestions on which one is the best or another crank that is better. I'm specifically looking for Ozark lakes up the rivers in the spring. Colors for that area would be appreciated too. Those cranks aren't cheap and I only want to buy a couple colors but a few of them.

angry john
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Square bill

Post by angry john » Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:44 pm

i have gone away from wood baits because they dont last me. I like plastic for its durability, and for a square bill that is going to get run into rocks, tree trunks and drug threw just about everything that is important. I have not used the requested baits, i stick with the KVD's so no help there.

rumrunner
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by rumrunner » Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:31 pm

I haven't used those more expensive baits yet.i've destroyed/lost both bagleys and various plastics like ls rc's.i fish the missouri lakes and suggest basic shad, chart/dark back and some crawfish patterns.in clearer water a bluegill pattern.

cjtoad
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by cjtoad » Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:35 pm

If I could only have one squarebill in would be a BDS 3 in Chartreuse shad.

zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zodiak311 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:10 am

cjtoad wrote:If I could only have one squarebill in would be a BDS 3 in Chartreuse shad.
X2 I fished at he Ozarks and Table Rock a few years back, in early spring. Those fish just love the Chartreuse Shad colored LC baits.

sarcazmo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by sarcazmo » Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:24 pm

Not trying to hijack but I'm also interested in the 6th sense squarebills, especially while the black friday sales are going.

I havent done much crankbait fishing but am looking to get my feet wet. I have several KVD 1.5s that seem to work alright. The paintwork/finishes on the 6th sense lures seem to be pretty outstanding though.

Anyone used them or their 30DD series? Thoughts?

Thank you.

jrob78
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jrob78 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:34 pm

The LC BDS 2's and 3's and the LC RC 1.5's are my favorite sq bills. They come in good colors with good components and finishes and flat out catch fish. In the lower price range, I really like the XCalibur XCS line of cranks. To me, they are a step above the KVD cranks.

Deaknh
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Deaknh » Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:59 pm

If your worried about losing them in brush, try the Academy h2o squarebill, great lure for the money.

sarcazmo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by sarcazmo » Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:35 pm

Just ordered a bunch of 6th sense squarebills and their DD. Only thing I have to compare em to are the KVD square bills and 6xds. I'll post impressions.

NJ Jigman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by NJ Jigman » Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:36 am

Lucky Craft RC squarebills are my go to shallow cranks. I also have 2 6th sense squarebills that work and fish just like the RC's. 6th Sense makes some quality baits, and their paint holds up pretty well to abuse. I don't know how their Co. works, but I had bought several of the 110 lookalikes last winter, they did a custom color for me that was identical to MB's 2001 Mossback YFT. Now they don't have the bait on their site or on E'bay. Would def. buy some more of those. Caught everything that swims on thanksgiving day, LMB, trout, pickerel and perch. sorry, a bit off topic

drenner43
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by drenner43 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:15 am

I'm a huge fan of any of the LC's, love the RC 1.5 in ghost minnow. Any of their squarebills will work great for you!