replacing lucky craft pointer hooks?

From crankbaits to jerkbaits to wakebaits and more, TackleTour's new hardbait sub-forum has been a long time coming. Well, now your wait is over!
illinoisbassfishin
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

replacing lucky craft pointer hooks?

Post by illinoisbassfishin » Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:37 pm

I have a pointer 100 sp that needs new trebles put on it and it says it comes stock with #5 hooks. Usually I have extra hooks on hand for all my baits but I happened to be out of the lucky craft replacements. It's not like I have a tournament soon and need to change for that it's just a color that hasn't been used for a while and the hooks got old and corroded. What I was wondering is I have some #4 kvd triple grip trebles and I was going to put some of those on there but will it mess with the action or the way the bait suspends? Supposedly you are supposed to be able to go up a size with the triple grip trebles but I don't know about jerkbaits. Any opinions?

518bassin
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: replacing lucky craft pointer hooks?

Post by 518bassin » Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:12 pm

I think the only way you would know for sure would be to put them on and go test it out to see how it suspends. That's the problem with jerk baits and top waters for that matter as opposed to a lipless crankbait. You can't just go for broke and put on the biggest hooks that will fit.

illinoisbassfishin
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by illinoisbassfishin » Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:42 am

#5 kvd trebles seemed to work fine on the pointer 100 for a little fyi haha. I also bought a rick clunn stx jerkbait and it seemed to work wonderfully too being that the only 3 jerkbait fish I caugh new years eve was on that jerkbait. I also got a couple of spro mcsticks which seems to have great action, cast good, and have good colors and paint. Only thing I couldn't figure out about the mcstick is that I use 10 lb seaguar red label fluoro on my jerkbaits and the mcstick was actually very slowly sinking instead of suspending?? Don't understand that because all my other jerk baits the fluoro doesn't seem to make them sink.

bdpettit
Angler
Angler

Post by bdpettit » Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:21 pm

For the pointer 100 I would go with a longer shank since there are only two hooks on it. If you go too big with the KVD short shanks, your weight will be messed up. I use the Mustad Ultra Point Triple Grips. They have a thinner wire, but have been good to me so far.

godshippy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by godshippy » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:07 am

Gamakatsu Round Bend in size 4. This is the hook that I've been told to use by Gary Dobyns and I've had great success using this hook on my Pointer 100s. I like using round bend hooks on my ripbaits and topwaters because fish will swipe at the bait and the round bend having the more open style hook will catch you some more fish.