Easiest retrieving Deep Diver

From crankbaits to jerkbaits to wakebaits and more, TackleTour's new hardbait sub-forum has been a long time coming. Well, now your wait is over!
Bassmar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Easiest retrieving Deep Diver

Post by Bassmar » Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:21 am

Which crankbaits in the 16 to 20 foot range do you find the easiest to retrieve? By this I mean which do you feel offers the least resistance on the retrieve. Some require a winch to retrieve and leave you feeling as if your arm is about to drop off after a few hours!
Although I often use cranks I have not really used the 16ft+ divers much and would like to hear your opinions.

falcon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Easiest retrieving Deep Diver

Post by falcon » Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:31 am

I don't feel there is one. Best bet is a flat sided or slender bodied crank for less resistance other than that a slow rolled spinnerbait or crawling a jig.
Legend Alpha 211/Merc 250 Pro XS

jonahsdad
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jonahsdad » Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:15 am

I bought a heavier action CB rod and it has made retrieving easier for me!! I like Lucky Craft deep divers, as well as River2Sea.

Toadslayer72
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Toadslayer72 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:43 am

I have to agree with the above. If you are feeling that fatigued then it seems like your set up is under powered and a heavy action rod will help a lot. Back when I started using Rapala DT16s I tried throwing them on a Croix Avid MH CB rod and that bait was just too much IMO. It didn't take long to realize that a heavier rod was what I needed and I went and got a Loomis 847....huge improvement.
I admit that I don't have much experience with baits from a variety on manufacturers that dive this deep. If I had to guess though, I'd say that most of them will feel pretty similar. I would like to hear what someone who has a lot of experience with the real deep divers has to say.

soua0363
Angler
Angler

Post by soua0363 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:51 pm

I like to deep crank alot and the ones that I find that comes through the water with the least amount of resistance are the Rapala DT's, Bomber Fat Free, and Strike King Series 6. They all have one thing in common...a narrower bill which has less drag. I love my Norman DD's and SPRO Little John DD's but their bills are wider and more pronounced so they have more resistance and after a couple hours of cranking them my arms are dead tired. (Although catching a few fish here and there helps to alleviate this problem. :) )

My setup for deep cranking is a Tour KVD 7'-4" MH rod with a Quantum Energy 5:1 reel.

Finnz922
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Finnz922 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:16 pm

I would agree on the Series 6 as being easier to retrieve. What rod and reel are you using? That also can make a differnce, you could be using too light of a setup.

SPAZ
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by SPAZ » Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:23 pm

Jackall Muscle cranks are easy to crank.

Steve Williams
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Steve Williams » Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:46 pm

i fish a lot of deep cranks. big macs, dd22, 3/4oz hotlips, 30+, 20+, DT20, DT16, bomber fat frees, bandit 700, bandit 400, 6XD, 5XD and some older poes.... out of those the easiest pulling is the bandit 700 followed by the dt 16. the hardest is 30+, 20+, followed by the big mac and then the dd22. not much difference in the rest.

the thing about the hard pulling baits for me is that they come through cover better than the others and will kick out more at times. when fish are aggressive they can be hard to beat. sometimes, the fish want that tighter action though and the easier pulling baits will get it done.

i use a 4.9:1 to 5:1 reel and a good 7'6-8' Hvy powered cranking rod with the right action and find that i don't get nearly as fatigued as i did when i was throwing a 7' rod with higher speed reel. just going from a 23" retrieve to a 19-20" retrieve has made a difference. not as much when i went from a 26" retrieve but still a difference.

Steve Williams
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Steve Williams » Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:48 pm

falcon wrote:I don't feel there is one. Best bet is a flat sided or slender bodied crank for less resistance other than that a slow rolled spinnerbait or crawling a jig.
i'll second that also... a 1oz football with 5-6" hula grub on it can cover a lot of water fast.