General Lipless Crankbait questions

From crankbaits to jerkbaits to wakebaits and more, TackleTour's new hardbait sub-forum has been a long time coming. Well, now your wait is over!
bnl
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

General Lipless Crankbait questions

Post by bnl » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:43 pm

I am pretty inexperienced with lipless crankbaits (have a hard time putting the jig down) and really want to get better at it this season. I have several questions I need help with regarding this technique.

1) what knot do you prefer for this technique?

2) what is your favorite brand of lipless crankbait?

3) what is your preferred rod? doesn't have to be a brand, it can be, but I am interested in both brand and power/style rod?

4) does anyone fish a lipless crank on braided line with a leader of mono/fluoro?

That is all I can think of right now... I am sure I will have more questions.

Thanks for the help!
BNL

ogrich31
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: General Lipless Crankbait questions

Post by ogrich31 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:29 pm

I use Palomar or uni knots with 12lb Yo-Zuri Hybrid most of the time. Don't use mono because I really don't like the sensitivity of it. Fluoro seems to break off too easily with me using a lipless so I don't use that also. Braid is good around grass but I don't really see a point in braid because I really want some stretch in my line, but not too much.

I've had the most success with the old Bill Lewis traps, but I really like LV500's and Red Eye Shads as well.

3) what is your preferred rod? doesn't have to be a brand, it can be, but I am interested in both brand and power/style rod?
I use a Dobyns 705CB Glass but I used to use the MBR843 GLX and have had success with both. I just hook up more fish with the glass rod, but it doesn't work as well as the MBR843 in grass. seem to pull my bait too fast with a graphite rod too.

4) does anyone fish a lipless crank on braided line with a leader of mono/fluoro?
I haven't but I don't see a need for this unless you need the extra abrasion of fluoro (I would use copoly instead) or maybe the extra stretch of mono. I don't think visibility would be a big factor from a moving bait like a lipless crankbait.

primus
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by primus » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:59 am

I prefer to throw these baits on 12 lb Floro with a 7' Med action BPS Crankin' Stick tied with a palomar knot. If using Floro cinch down slowly and make sure knot is well lubricated because Floro can weaken with excess friction. I also have another 7' MH Crankin' Stick spooled with 17 lb copoly for times when I want to keep the bait higher or when fishing heavier grass but I usually use the 1st set-up.

Favorite baits for me would include Strike King Red Eye Shad, Spro Aruka SHad, Sebile Flat Shad & Yozuri Rattlin' Vibe. There are a lot good baits out there in this category and almost any of them will work if burning it with a straight retrieve. However some of the better ones will swim down on the drop with the Red Eye Shad also adding a shimmy like a stick worm. These types of baits are particularly effective with a yo-yo type of retrieve. I really like the 5/8 Aruka Shad for slow rolling long the bottom.

mrborohachi
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by mrborohachi » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:42 am

+1 on the Red eye shad, good price for you to get started with a lipless bait. If the colors suit you try the Rapala clasking raps also.

falcon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by falcon » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:43 am

Not to cause a fight but I'd really like to know where you guys buy your red eyes or how you decide which to buy. There has to be a trick cause I use to own about 12 red eyes and gave them away with gear I sold. I understand the yo yo technique I use it every year in early spring. The ones I had on a straight retrieve or whenever just cranking they ran on their side and many that I played with next to the boat would drop on one side and sink sideways when trying to mimic the yo yo retrieve.

This also holds true to númerous sk cranks I owned. The only good ones I ever bought where some wild shiner jerks about 6-8 years ago.
Legend Alpha 211/Merc 250 Pro XS

ecu daniel 14
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by ecu daniel 14 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:45 pm

Ive never had any problems with the red eyes...they are the best deal IMO...I usually always catch something every time I throw them....got a few stripers on chartreuse shad, a few largemouth on silver shad, a few crappie on gold black back, and a few flounder?? on silver shad as well... aggressive lil critters...

I usually just retrieve them straight in, sometimes I yo-yo them. I even burn them in on a 7.3:1 Zillion and they still dont turn over...idk what you are possibly doing wrong...maybe you got a bad batch?
stress-what happens between fishing trips

cjtoad
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by cjtoad » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:36 pm

Red eyes, xr50 and lv100. I use a 6'6" med mod with 30lbs 832 braid. Sometimes I'll use a leader, most of the time I tie straight to the bait with a Palomar.

Southplatter
Angler
Angler

Post by Southplatter » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:40 pm

I like running all my lipless on any 7.0-7.6ft M-MH rod. The height gives me an added distance I believe, and it feels more natural. The loading on my 7ft rods also feels betters than when I try it with a 6.6.
Im brand biased and will only use two lipless. Rapala cause its cheap and seems to work, but If I could I would have nothing but Yozuris. Rattlin vibes or hardcores.
I will say that every lake is different and every day is different. Since I cant hear the difference underwater, I assume all have different noise. I just fish one or two brand cause confidence allows me to work a lure better and more effectively.
Going to hopefully try a DX 745 for lipless this year.
Ill be part of the force that helps change swimbait Colo...........
Life is about passion, conservation should be one...

Micropterus salmoides
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Micropterus salmoides » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:01 pm

Palomar knot with 12 or 15lb P-Line CXX.

Lucky Craft LV 500, Jackall TN/70, Aruku Shad, Rat-L-Trap

CBR845 in open water and light scattered grass. Dobyns 733C in denser grass.