Early spring lipless cranks?

From crankbaits to jerkbaits to wakebaits and more, TackleTour's new hardbait sub-forum has been a long time coming. Well, now your wait is over!
Bassboss
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Early spring lipless cranks?

Post by Bassboss » Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:29 am

I plan on trying this technique, as soon as the season starts. Water temp I guess will probably be in the 40's and low 50's.

I'm kinda clueless on were to start. I'm sure it'll nothing like fishing them fast in the summer. I suspect it'll be slow... well slow for a lipless crankbait that is. I'm pretty much wondering how my retrieve should be and what I should be looking for when I throw 'em.

Thanks for any pointers! :)

soua0363
Angler
Angler

Re: Early spring lipless cranks?

Post by soua0363 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:17 am

The time of day, body of water, water temp, and the mood of the bass will dictate what is going to work so there is no one go to method. Sometime a fast retrieve is the ticket and other times a slow hopping retrieve will do the trick. I usually start with a faster retrieve and see if I can get the them to chase and if that fails, I would let the bait flutter down and then slowly hop or "pop" the bait up real quick and then let it flutter down again. I have also had luck just reeling the lipless straight in but with a slower reel...5:1 gear ratio.

The sizes I used this time of year is 1/2 ounce and then go up from there to 1 ounce as the weather and the water temp warm up.

ecu daniel 14
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by ecu daniel 14 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:15 pm

ive had a tremendous amount of luck on lipless cranks already this year. In fact 95% of all bass and stripers Ive caught were on these. I use 1/2 oz and I slow roll them on my 7.3:1 zillion so I guess its essentially 6.4:1???...sometimes I yo-yo them or jerk the rod around to give it even more erratic action.
stress-what happens between fishing trips

damian_megabass
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by damian_megabass » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:45 am

soua0363 wrote:The time of day, body of water, water temp, and the mood of the bass will dictate what is going to work so there is no one go to method. Sometime a fast retrieve is the ticket and other times a slow hopping retrieve will do the trick..

X2

I've had more luck with jerkbaits, jigs, and spinner baites during this season than lipless cranks. Or maybe it's because my selection of lipless is too small to care and use this bait. :lol:
I will NEVER sell another 3:16 swimbait again!