Owner Hardbaits

From crankbaits to jerkbaits to wakebaits and more, TackleTour's new hardbait sub-forum has been a long time coming. Well, now your wait is over!
biggs
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Owner Hardbaits

Post by biggs » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:18 pm

Does anyone have any experience with these? A local tackle shop just started carrying them and wanted some opinions since I pretty much like everything else they make.

IMO they actually don't look all that great but looks can be deceiving!

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Owner_Cu ... -OCGP.html
http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Owner_Cu ... OCZNZ.html
http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Owner_Cu ... TD115.html
Instagram @___bradb

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Owner Hardbaits

Post by slipperybob » Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:16 am

They may not be cutting edge best looking shapes, but they sure do cast well. :big grin:
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish

Imavol
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Imavol » Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:27 am

I have several of their jerkbaits and really like them but I have one of the Zip N Ziggy and I never have liked it, too hard to get it to walk the dog. Just my .02

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:14 am

The Gobo Poppers will be one of your more better unique poppers for a more subtle presentation and smaller pops and chugs. In terms of finish paint, some their lures have some really nice unique paint jobs. Highly reflective holographic finish, yet an interlaced paint job that makes them partially see through. You get the ghost effect, but it's not the same as the standard ghost paint job. The coating on the Owner lures aren't that hard or maybe their hooks are too sharp and easily scratches into the lure coating. I can cast the 1/5 oz Gobo Popper further than most other 1/4 oz poppers. The biggest setback in Owner hardbaits is, availability. Just hard to come by.

I don't have neither Zip'N Ziggy nor Tango Dancer. They do look goofy compared to traditional Spooks.

ens
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by ens » Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:23 pm

Out of those three, I've only tried the Zip'N Ziggy. I like it. Like sb mention, castability is pretty easy. Also I find it's pretty easy to walk. I've caught a bunch of bass on it until I snapped off then had to buy a new one.

MaxZmus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MaxZmus » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:09 am

I have all of those and I don't think they're worth the money. They just haven't been productive for me at all. I don't like they're rattle trap bait either. I do like the "Rip n Minnow" though. You can do better with other baits.
There are no strangers in the Brotherhood of Fishermen.

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:37 pm

MaxZmus wrote:I have all of those and I don't think they're worth the money. They just haven't been productive for me at all. I don't like they're rattle trap bait either. I do like the "Rip n Minnow" though. You can do better with other baits.
Isn't that the consensus of any lure that isn't productive at all. You can get the best lure action out of something, but you still can't buy a bite. Then you toss something so plain and simple like your typical cheapo lures like a Rebel or Heddon and the fish are just hammering that.

The owner lures isn't a first on the list to throw, at least not on my list. Well with the exception of the Gobo Popper because I like how it makes less noise. That's my style of fishing poppers, start with less noise and disturbance before going up to louder poppers. Don't know what it is about Owner lures, but it's a sleeper lure that when other lures are getting skunked you'll want to give that Owner lure a shot and that's when things usually change. Maybe it's just the casting distance you can get from their lures in general. So it goes the more fish you catch with a lure, the more confidence you have in it. That thing kind of builds upon itself.