Jerkbait problem

From crankbaits to jerkbaits to wakebaits and more, TackleTour's new hardbait sub-forum has been a long time coming. Well, now your wait is over!
ogrich31
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Jerkbait problem

Post by ogrich31 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:52 am

So this morning I was throwing my vision 110 and after I caught a fish, the lure seemed to be running nose up. I believe the weights in the lure did not move up the body of the lure. What do you think is causing this? There doesn't seem to be any damage on the 110 and it would randomly be suspending good again and then nose up again.

Thanks.

ogrich31
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Jerkbait problem

Post by ogrich31 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:54 am

I reread my post and I meant it would stay nose up while it suspends. Just to clarify.

damian_megabass
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by damian_megabass » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:01 am

You sure u have a suspending 110?? They are all slow float unless you have the suspending model. Ill post pics tonight for you. Basically there are three models suspend, slow float and high float. ;)
I will NEVER sell another 3:16 swimbait again!

ogrich31
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ogrich31 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:57 am

damian_megabass wrote:You sure u have a suspending 110?? They are all slow float unless you have the suspending model. Ill post pics tonight for you. Basically there are three models suspend, slow float and high float. ;)
I have the version with the eyes looking down. I believe it's a suspending version but it slowly floats. I modify the hooks and split rings to make it suspend just the way I like, which is very very very slowly floating up (incase I lose it, I want to get it back lol). But I've thrown this particular one for about a year now and it's the first time its done this. Maybe some water got in?

damian_megabass
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by damian_megabass » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:18 pm

Down or straight....those are dependent on year of the lure when it was made. All more recent 110's are down eyes. I'm still at work but the version you have is slow float. There is a true suspending version out there and it's hard to find and colors are pretty much little to none if you can find one.

I'll post pics when I get home and no even if you buy a versin that says (SP) at the end of the name doesn't mean that it's a suspending version. 110's are high quality so I really supoer highly doubt water got in it. ;)

Versatile Futurian
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Versatile Futurian » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:55 pm

Did the ball weights get stuck in the tail end of the bait? They do that sometimes. The weight stansfer system sends the balls to the tail on the cast and sometimes they dont move back. One of my vision 110s does that sometimes. Flick the tail with your finger pretty hard a few times and see if the weights roll back to the belly.

damian_megabass
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by damian_megabass » Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:39 pm

Ok here are the pics....I know I only have 2 because that's all I need. Been hooked too many times with the third uneeded hook. :lol:

Replaced with owner hooks....Also if you look closely the suspend version has a different middle hook. It's stock and it's not the thin gauge wire and it does not have an out barb on it. I know the 110's are "supposed" to come with a non out barb Katsuga middle hook but all the recent ones I have come with the out barb hook.

Also like versatile said, see if the balls still move, at times they can get stuck but a little shake does the work.

ogrich31
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ogrich31 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:50 pm

damian_megabass,

I have the USDM suspending 110's. It's a suspending bait but I've read that it slowly rises before. I bought it on Tackle Warehouse. They have 3 versions and I did not get the high float or silent riser. By the way, that has nothing to do with my question. But thanks for your input and maybe I'll learn something about this lure.

Versitile Futurain,

Yes the balls did get stuck at the end. I guess I'll have to shake it up everytime it does that. But still, a $30 bait should not do that. My xraps have never done that before. Oh wells, it still works.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:54 pm

The problem could be that it wasn't a huskyjerk. .. I'm just saying
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

ogrich31
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ogrich31 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:57 pm

Thanks for the pics. I'll check out my 110's when I get home from work. Interesting that you only kept the last 2 hooks. When I get a good jerkbait bite, the bass will usually hit the 1st 2 trebles. I add an Owner ST41 treble to the rear so it suspends slightly straighter instead of in an angle. Any recomendations on replacement hooks? I hate the weak outbarb hooks on mines but I have yet to have a bass straighten them out yet. They usually slightly bend but I always bend them back.

Thanks.

damian_megabass
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by damian_megabass » Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:10 pm

goldrod wrote:The problem could be that it wasn't a huskyjerk. .. I'm just saying
ewww! Crapalas... :lol:

ogrich31 wrote:.....
I know I did not answer your question but I was pointing out you don't have a suspending version. TW doesn't sell the suspend version they sell the slow float version. There is nothing wrong with your 110. The only way to make those SF 110's suspend is to add sticky weights on them or on the hooks. Not sure if it will effect the way the lure is supposed to work but I suggest getting a true suspend version. I just don't want misinformation going out like last time before the site went down. Had a 3 page argument with ppl regarding suspend and slow float versions. :whistle:

Anyway GL!

ogrich31
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ogrich31 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:18 pm

Thanks for the info. I'll go pick up one suspending version and compare it myself then but I think I'll like the slow float version because I can upgrade the hooks and it will not sink.

Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Tokugawa » Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:52 pm

ogrich31 wrote:Thanks for the pics. I'll check out my 110's when I get home from work. Interesting that you only kept the last 2 hooks. When I get a good jerkbait bite, the bass will usually hit the 1st 2 trebles. I add an Owner ST41 treble to the rear so it suspends slightly straighter instead of in an angle. Any recomendations on replacement hooks? I hate the weak outbarb hooks on mines but I have yet to have a bass straighten them out yet. They usually slightly bend but I always bend them back.

Thanks.
There is an excellent article on 110 replacement hooks on the Megabass website.

http://www.megabassusa.com/news/upgradi ... dy-blaukat

ogrich31
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ogrich31 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:12 pm

Thanks! I searched and found that article after posting.