crankbait diving depth

From crankbaits to jerkbaits to wakebaits and more, TackleTour's new hardbait sub-forum has been a long time coming. Well, now your wait is over!
smallmouth420
Angler
Angler

crankbait diving depth

Post by smallmouth420 »

im not sure if i should have posted this on the line posts or hardbaits. i understand that each time you go up in line size your crankbait dives 1-2 feet shallower. is this still the case when using fluorocarbon. fluoro sinks, i know line diameter is similar. is it the resistance of the line diameter or the floating properties of mono that affect the diving depth the most. any help would be appreciated.
slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: crankbait diving depth

Post by slipperybob »

Cranking speed and casting distance can affect it too. After all the angle of line retrieve will have a lot of effect on it.
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish
damian_megabass
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by damian_megabass »

I would say line diameter effects it most, then comes down to speed and distance.

I believe ppl use floro and mono for different reasons and many reasons...mainly:

Mono - line stretchs and gives a little with hook set

Floro - little to no stretch
I will NEVER sell another 3:16 swimbait again!
soua0363
Angler
Angler

Post by soua0363 »

Fluoro definately helps the bait runs deeper due to the denser material but the drag caused by the larger diameter line will affect overall depth the most. Most crankbait depths are designed for use with 10 lbs test mono. Going with fluoro in the same 10 lbs test will help the bait dive an extra feet IF they are of the same diameter or close to it, but you can up the fluoro size to 12 lbs test and it will still run around the same depth as advertised. This is base on my observation the last few years and is by no means scientific or exact.

Line retrieval speed is also factor as well. A slower reel with a 5:1 gear ratio will help the bait run down to the advertised depth but going with a faster reel (6.3 or 7.1:1) with the same size line and bait will make the bait run 1 to 2 feet shallower.
Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew
Location: Fergus Falls, MN - Otterods - Hand Crafted High Performance Fishing Rods

Post by Mattman »

Get the book Precision Casting. Well worth the money....
Matt Davis
Otterods-High performance fishing rods
olamagic
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by olamagic »

damian_megabass wrote:I would say line diameter effects it most, then comes down to speed and distance.

I believe ppl use floro and mono for different reasons and many reasons...mainly:

Mono - line stretchs and gives a little with hook set

Floro - little to no stretch

The floro statement is pretty much a myth. It has almost as much stretch as mono.