Smithwick Suspending Rattlin Rogue

From crankbaits to jerkbaits to wakebaits and more, TackleTour's new hardbait sub-forum has been a long time coming. Well, now your wait is over!
Micropterus salmoides
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Smithwick Suspending Rattlin Rogue

Post by Micropterus salmoides » Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:41 am

Any of you guys still use the 5 1/2" Smithwick Suspending Rattlin Rogues? Since I started using Lucky Craft jerkbaits I really don't use anything else, except for the Vision 110.

Toadslayer72
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Smithwick Suspending Rattlin Rogue

Post by Toadslayer72 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:31 am

Micropterus salmoides wrote:Any of you guys still use the 5 1/2" Smithwick Suspending Rattlin Rogues? Since I started using Lucky Craft jerkbaits I really don't use anything else, except for the Vision 110.
I don't use them but I remember when they were pretty popular. One of the first, if not THE first suspenders.

Imavol
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Imavol » Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:49 pm

I still use them, in fact I catch more fish on them than any other jerkbait I throw. The old ones are much better than the ones they make now though. A 110 Vision is a very close second.

Derek777
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Derek777 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:19 pm

i bought a suspending super rogue and it must have been mislabeled as it did not suspend in the least. other than my devils horses its my second smithwick rogue and im very disappointed. it surfaced after semi long 15 second pauses. i cast an ima flit right after and it could have stayed suspended in the same spot for hours. the action on the rogue was nice but i hate having to tune lures. lol.

BobP
Angler
Angler

Post by BobP » Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:43 am

I have Ito Vision 110's and they won't suspend either right now. Suspending depends on the water temperature. If your bait is manufactured to suspend in 70 degree water and you are spring fishing in 50 degree water, you're gonna have to put weight on it to make it suspend, no matter what the brand.

The 5 1/2" Suspending Pro Rogues have always caught fish for me and still work just fine. Fortunately, bass don't read so they don't turn up their noses when presented with anything other than the latest Bait Monkey offering.

If there's anything I dislike about Rogues, it's been Smithwick's constant jumbling up of the Rogue line with different names and models in the last years. I never liked the Rogues with the molded-in lips but I do like the Suspending Pro Rogue, by whatever name they're calling it these days.

rp346
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by rp346 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:32 pm

Micropterus salmoides wrote:Any of you guys still use the 5 1/2" Smithwick Suspending Rattlin Rogues? Since I started using Lucky Craft jerkbaits I really don't use anything else, except for the Vision 110.
Pointer 100 and 78...Megabass Vision 110 and Trick Darter 80....For me.

smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by smalljaw » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:33 am

Derek777 wrote:i bought a suspending super rogue and it must have been mislabeled as it did not suspend in the least. other than my devils horses its my second smithwick rogue and im very disappointed. it surfaced after semi long 15 second pauses. i cast an ima flit right after and it could have stayed suspended in the same spot for hours. the action on the rogue was nice but i hate having to tune lures. lol.
I use the floating models in the summer on the river, smallies will crush them! That being said, you have to really watch with the rogues, they have floating and suspending models in all of the lines, years ago all you had to do was look at the eyes, yellow=floating and red=suspending. The suspending capabilities in the rogue are ok but they do better in in the 45 to 48 degree water, I don't know why, but that is why you pay a lot for the pointers, they suspend at just about any temp under 50 degrees, once you get to 52 degrees they slowly rise.
Barlow's Tackle