If you could use only ONE brand of hardbait...

From crankbaits to jerkbaits to wakebaits and more, TackleTour's new hardbait sub-forum has been a long time coming. Well, now your wait is over!
bladerunner
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

If you could use only ONE brand of hardbait...

Post by bladerunner » Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:47 pm

...which would it be and why? Which brand covers the most prestentations throughout their lineup? Lets assume you'd also be paying for them.

Lucky Craft seems the obvious choice... but on my dollar I'd have to say Rapala. I love the DT series and the X-Raps.
I think Rapala covers the whole spectrum - and the finishes on the X-Raps are awesome, I love that all the detailing and scales have an indestructable clearcoat. I think people put too much stock in raised scale patterns myself. I don't think the average bass closes in for the kill slow enough to take in whether a scale pattern is raised, or under a clear layer of resin.

Obscure ultra-boutique responses are welcome. Always looking for a new bait-monkey fix... :-k

jonahsdad
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: If you could use only ONE brand of hardbait...

Post by jonahsdad » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:05 pm

I will go with Lucky Craft! I have better luck with them than any other brand I've used, although I am starting to like the River2Sea lures!

Ginson
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Ginson » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:59 am

For now, it's still rapala, old rapalas... why i say so? those day in malaysia, Rapala is the only hard lure available besides some spoon and spinner or stuff like tat... it's no wonder that Rapala is so symnonymous with Malaysian lure caster, some of them even now still refer Rapala as hard lures instead of a brand of hard lures

Why old? the new one really giv lots of headache, not to mention heartache. I think i have at least 20% newly bought rapalas that have defect(cannot swim), and easily more than 80% will never swim well out of box regardless what they wrote at the back of their packaging, this is really misleading. I think the staff that tank test the lure must be fired and let someone else more deserving to do so. The old ones are much better, at least the tank tester are professional and less than 10% ever require extra tuning to work well

But things have changed. A lot more brands are flooding into our market now and have competitive pricing too! Besides, some of them offers better out of box service and can actually swim straight... while others are much cheaper n no need tuning as well

the only thing is i love balsa wood lures, and Rapala is the only company tat makes a huge spectrum of balsa wood lure out there... it's also not difficult to tell tat i'm not a fan of their plastic lures. Just hope tat they would make better quality lures first before raising price every year, tat's ridiculous

at the meantime, have to keep searching for the old stock as replacement... use em 90% of the time(hard lures), excluding softplastic

vArm
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by vArm » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:52 am

Megabass
They make a few baits that flat out CATCH! They also try to figure out how to maximize a bait potential action and abilities, like the X-POD and FX9.

Tigerbass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Tigerbass » Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:29 am

Lucky Craft or Megabass.

I love jerkbaits and these two companies make the best. You would also do well with their topwaters and shallow cranks.

If I threw medium and deep diving crankbaits a bunch I would probably have to reconsider do to high cost of these lures and the propensity to loose crankbaits. However, I don't throw them as much as I should.

damian_megabass
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by damian_megabass » Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:11 am

My name says it all. :big grin:

Used to LOVE Rapala's but none of their new line up has gotten me anything......The DT series have done good but not great. To me the new Rapala's are too "flashy"...Or Maybe the lakes I fish in are too clear but I switched over to MB and have not looked back since.
I will NEVER sell another 3:16 swimbait again!

bassbandit
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by bassbandit » Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:29 am

Hmm...tough question. I am not sure I could fish effectively with just one brand of hardbait. But, if I was pressed, I'd probably say Rapala. They offer good stuff, at good prices, and have an effective bait in almost every category. Strike King also makes a bunch of baits in every style, but I don't have much experience with them.
Last edited by bassbandit on Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

overdose
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by overdose » Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:33 am

Tigerbass wrote:Lucky Craft or Megabass.
nuff said! lol...

LOVE mb and lc... but if i were to pick out of the two... the hands would go down to lc... they have a bit more in their lineup to cover the full water column in my book ;) ...

tracker01
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by tracker01 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:32 am

For me, "Bomber".

Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Tokugawa » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:15 am

LC - only because they have a bigger lineup than Megabass.

North Branch
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by North Branch » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:23 am

Lucky Craft here too. They just have more lures suited to my type of fishing (small mouth bass).

However, the Megabass lures I have are excellent.

brokeneye
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by brokeneye » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:48 pm

will have to go lc here, as well.

but, only if i can keep my splash-its and deep-x's. :big grin:
don't cry because it's over...smile because it happened.

the186element
Angler
Angler

Post by the186element » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:48 pm

Another vote for Luckycraft.
Never fished Megabass.

bladerunner
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by bladerunner » Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:39 pm

damian_megabass wrote:My name says it all. :big grin:

Used to LOVE Rapala's but none of their new line up has gotten me anything......The DT series have done good but not great. To me the new Rapala's are too "flashy"...Or Maybe the lakes I fish in are too clear but I switched over to MB and have not looked back since.
ALL RIGHT - You got me there =D> - good point about the "too flashy" - Rapala could use some more "ghost" finishes in their lineup. The colors are beautiful but pretty artificial. Come to think of it Koppers LiveTarget line is coming along nicely.. with a nice pricepoint too. But yes - Megabass and LC have the finishes down.. just not their prices ](*,)

Mossy Oak
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Mossy Oak » Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:11 pm

I would say lucky craft