Any experience with Sure Set Treble Hooks?

From crankbaits to jerkbaits to wakebaits and more, TackleTour's new hardbait sub-forum has been a long time coming. Well, now your wait is over!
bob75
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Any experience with Sure Set Treble Hooks?

Post by bob75 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:17 am

Are these hooks really in improvement in getting short strikers?

Some days when running cranks on Lake of the Woods we get a lot of fish barely hooked or coming off half way to the boat.
Attachments
Sure set Hooks.JPG
Sure set Hooks.JPG (9.38 KiB) Viewed 4767 times

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Any experience with Sure Set Treble Hooks?

Post by slipperybob » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:25 am

I haven't experience any short strikes on the Sure Set treble hooks, so not entirely sure if that's becuase of those trebles. :big grin:

I will say that extending the length of the tail treble with an additional splitring or a splitring-swivel-splitring chain or maybe just direct line tie of an inch makes a lot of difference for those short strikes.
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish

bob75
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bob75 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:37 am

"I will say that extending the length of the tail treble with an additional splitring or a splitring-swivel-splitring chain or maybe just direct line tie of an inch makes a lot of difference for those short strikes."

I like the idea of extending the hook past the rear of the crankbait as you suggested.

RIK
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by RIK » Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:09 am

Bob75 -

You pulling cranks for walleyes on LoTWs? Sure Sets are ok, but if you're anywhere where you're going to run into pike, they'll mangle them.

I've switched almost all my crankbait hooks on stuff like Reef Runners, Shad Raps, Tail Dancers and the like to Triple Grips. (And on bass cranks too for that matter...) Sometimes can put a size bigger on the belly hook too without messing up the bait. Just have to try it and see if it screws up the wobble. Seem to lose a lot fewer fish with Triple Grips than on regular round bends. I'd try those if you haven't before switching to Sure Sets. Sure Sets are more expensive if you're replacing a bunch of hooks too...

FishEastCarolina
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by FishEastCarolina » Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:36 am

I have a few rapalas that came with them but honestly I havent noticed a difference.
new day the same way

Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Tokugawa » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:34 pm

I've had maybe two fish come in hooked on only the long treble. Other than that, there is no real difference.

bladerunner
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by bladerunner » Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:46 pm

RIK wrote:Bob75 -

You pulling cranks for walleyes on LoTWs? Sure Sets are ok, but if you're anywhere where you're going to run into pike, they'll mangle them.

I've switched almost all my crankbait hooks on stuff like Reef Runners, Shad Raps, Tail Dancers and the like to Triple Grips. (And on bass cranks too for that matter...) Sometimes can put a size bigger on the belly hook too without messing up the bait. Just have to try it and see if it screws up the wobble. Seem to lose a lot fewer fish with Triple Grips than on regular round bends. I'd try those if you haven't before switching to Sure Sets. Sure Sets are more expensive if you're replacing a bunch of hooks too...
Ditto on that.

BobP
Angler
Angler

Post by BobP » Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:05 am

I have no experience because I replace them with Gamy round bend trebles right out of the package. Got a nice size box of unused Sure Sets in the garage now.

Just don't like the design for fishing cover situations and it gripes me that Rapala puts them exclusively on some of their more attractive color schemes.

vtbasser
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by vtbasser » Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:25 am

I like them. I think the Mustad KVD trebles are better at keeping fish on though. I usually put the SureSets on the tail end of my walking topwaters but that is it.
www.hokiebass.com
Abu Garcia, Berkley, Trilene

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:17 am

Now that you mentioned it, those sureset trebles do look kind of like a stunted triple grip that the manufacture messed up on two points. :laugh1: :laugh1: :laugh1:
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish

BlueWaterAngler
Angler
Angler

Post by BlueWaterAngler » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:36 pm

I do find that they lead to better hookups, but the thinner wire of the hooks also break quite easily.