Why Do Some Spooks Walk Better?

From crankbaits to jerkbaits to wakebaits and more, TackleTour's new hardbait sub-forum has been a long time coming. Well, now your wait is over!
slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Why Do Some Spooks Walk Better?

Post by slipperybob » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:58 pm

(recreate)

A question that sometimes I ask myself while I'm working my Zara Spooks on their walk the dog. Why is it, that one spook seems to walk a lot easier than another? For a long time I thought it was how I was working it and my equipment. Yes that has some effect to it, as well as finished production tolerances. It's about adjusting to it. In fact I find myself doing a lot of adjusting when I switch from one spook color to another. The old Spooks with the screw in hardware allow an adjustment of moving the line tie eyescrew from bottom of lips to nose point. The newer Spooks, no longer have that option. I remeber how the newer Spooks walked better. Back then I concluded less dragging hardware.

It has just dawned upon me about how each lure rests at neutral. Lure's like Lucky Craft Sammys are practically vertical at rest. Most of my Spooks are at about a 45 degree angle. Yet not all of them are.

Sammy 65 on left. Heddon Zara Spook Puppy on right.

There's the old Heddon Zara Spook II, a discontinued model. It is bulbous in comparison to a Super Spook Jr. along with a faster taper from nose cone to tail. It does a great job at creating water disturbances as it walks. In fact it walks far easier than the original Spooks. The final result is it a better choice in water surface that's rippled by a good steady breeze.

Heddon Zara Spook II on left. Heddon Zara Super Spook Jr. on right.

Then we have some Spooks from Excalibur that walks with much better side to side gliding compared to the standar Spooks. Although both are identical in body shape, with some different color patterns and improved hardware compaonents on the Excalibur series. There may be some difference also in the metal balls placed in the Spooks to have enough influence on the outcome of the walking the dog effect. These seems to cause a slightly less water surface disturbance. Making them a tad bit more ideal for calm water surfaces.

Heddon Zara Super Spook Jr. on left. Excalibur (Jimmy Houston) Super Spook Jr. on right.

More vertical may mean more water dispacement and therefore less distance. Sometimes that works better.
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish

bassbandit
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Why Do Some Spooks Walk Better?

Post by bassbandit » Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:22 am

Very interesting post. Thanks for the detailed pics and info.