Think Tank Review

From crankbaits to jerkbaits to wakebaits and more, TackleTour's new hardbait sub-forum has been a long time coming. Well, now your wait is over!
Southplatter
Angler
Angler

Think Tank Review

Post by Southplatter » Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:29 am

Lure: Think Tank Baby Bass
Rod: 842 GLX
Reel: Citca 200D
Line: 65lb Suffix braid

Got the lures on Weds from TW. Very excited to use, but had to wait for the weekend. Threw out the lure and was hoping for buzz bait like action but the lure kept rolling and rolling under water. Finally as I got closer to shore I got my buzzbait wake and was more excited at what it could do. Threw it out again, this time held the rod high and got the lure to start its signature wake, but one twitch and the lure keeps rolling again. I could not get the lure to do its signature Z-wake holding the rod high to low, twitch, stop and go. Nothing worked today. The lip on the lure never dung down into the water collumn as the head prevents it. All I observe was the head of the lure cause the wake and lip just to steer it. Cant wait for more reviews to come in and hopefully I have a flaw lure. I wouldnt call myself the best angler, but Im confident enough to say that this lure is hype not proven.
Ill be part of the force that helps change swimbait Colo...........
Life is about passion, conservation should be one...

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Think Tank Review

Post by slipperybob » Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:43 pm

Try different line size or types. Maybe a few different snaps... :-k
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish

rp346
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by rp346 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:20 pm

Very interesting review because that is exactly what some others have told me. They say they tried everything to get it to do what was in video and they could not....

damian_megabass
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by damian_megabass » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:15 am

The video makes this lure look very promising....Like slipperybob said. Try it on floro and mono or smaller line.

Good thing I didn't jump on this yet.
I will NEVER sell another 3:16 swimbait again!

Southplatter
Angler
Angler

Post by Southplatter » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:26 pm

Ive given up for now..........I feel so low, I gave up on a lure.
Tried 14lbs Gamma Copoly on my 201DC on both my 783,842 GLX and even on my 852 mossy. Tried 10lb Maxima on my citca on all three rods as well. Even went to my spinning rod. Spinning rod was a little better as I was using 6lb Maxima. Still not cutting the bacon. I have 2 more, but dont want to open them until I get a better grip at what Im doing or doing wrong. I went on the website and tried to mimic all their techs, but still no progress. Going to give it more try later in the month and report back.
Ill be part of the force that helps change swimbait Colo...........
Life is about passion, conservation should be one...

overdose
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by overdose » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:04 am

have you checked to see if the hinge by the head is loose/free or if the prop is spinning?

smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by smalljaw » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:31 am

Have you considered that maybe the rod is too long? The reason I say that is I'm an angler that uses a 6'6" rod most of the time and a friend had me fishing 7' and 7'2" rods he has to get me to convert and I could not work a simple rattlin chug bug with the long rod, I would either pull it under the water or make it jump in such a way that it would get the hook fouled with the line, 20 cast and the only way I could get the bait to work right was when it would get within 20 feet or so, I couldn't even walk the dog with a spook with the long rod but my 6'6" rod was no problem. What I witnessed on the video of those lures is the rod tip being at 10 or 2 o'clock position but it still gets in the pic a few times which makes me think you need the rod high but not too high like you might get with a long rod, try a 6' or 6'6" rod and see how it works for you.
Barlow's Tackle

Toadslayer72
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Toadslayer72 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:11 am

I'm not sure when these lures first became available but the fact that there isn't much online by way of user reviews raises some suspicion. I hope that it's not a scam because the video they have makes it look pretty promising.

As far as getting the action right, I would send Think Tank lures an email that details your experience thus far and asking for specific directions for use. If they try to BS you then come back here and flame them.