Lucky Craft RC vs Fat BDS?

From crankbaits to jerkbaits to wakebaits and more, TackleTour's new hardbait sub-forum has been a long time coming. Well, now your wait is over!
Micropterus salmoides
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Lucky Craft RC vs Fat BDS?

Post by Micropterus salmoides » Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:19 am

What conditions do you choose one over the other?

brokeneye
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Lucky Craft RC vs Fat BDS?

Post by brokeneye » Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:07 am

depends.

overall, the rc's seem to have a tighter action thruout their different sizes...while the bds 3's and 4's somewhat mimic that action, the bds 1's and 2's have more of a wobble.

that said, slow-rolling a bds 2 has been my most productive shallow crank the last couple years in clear or stained waters, cool or warm waters...so much so, the clunns and the other bds' have taken a back seat for that app.

maybe can post some pics here in a few days.
don't cry because it's over...smile because it happened.

afterbass
Angler
Angler

Post by afterbass » Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:13 am

Of the BDS series the 2 got the most use last summer by me. I was pleasantly surprised at how well it came through cover. Even grass. Without going out and checking records for exact numbers, I am guessing pretty close to equal numbers of fish on RC and BDS. I think my choice for selection is very un-scientific. Um...which one do I feel like tying on today. Like them both.

Micropterus salmoides
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Micropterus salmoides » Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:38 am

I know that the Fat BDS, specifically the 3 and 4, have a wide wobble and the SKT MR and DR have a tight wiggle. I wanted to find out where the RCs fit in.

I found a quote from Brent Ehrler on the Lucky Craft Daily Crank blog...

"I’ll use two types of baits for shallow water, and two types for deep water, both depend on the mood of the fish. If they are in a colder water scenario, I’ll use the Lucky Craft SKT series. If the water is warmer, then a Lucky Craft Fat CB BDS3 is perfect in shallow water and a Lucky Craft Flat CB DR in deeper water.

The difference between the baits is in the action and the sound. The SKT has a really tight wiggle and no rattles, this is tailor made for targeting fish in 48 to 55 degree water temperature. Once the water climbs above that level, the fish get more aggressive and the wider wobble comes into play, that’s when I turn to the BDS or Flat CB series."

bladerunner
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by bladerunner » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:06 pm

Always throw the RC. Try every color. Then the BDS only when the RC fails - which it rarely does.

Nitroman77
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Nitroman77 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:54 pm

I just bought another 7 clunns in my 60-70 that I have.. Love those baits all year long..
Love the .5s thrown on my presso as these baits are tough to hang up and when they do you can let slack line and they usually pop out or you bow string and pop them off..
THkustoms.com
Dobyns rods
Omega custom tackle
Biospawn
seaguar
phoenix boats

Micropterus salmoides
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Micropterus salmoides » Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:00 pm

Nitroman77 wrote:I just bought another 7 clunns in my 60-70 that I have..
60-70! :shock: That's a serious sickness you have going there. You need help. :P :mrgreen: I'm envious.

Steve Williams
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Steve Williams » Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:08 pm

it probably matters more which bait you have confidence in. i've never been one to throw the 1.5 or the bds 1 or 2 very much. however, i throw the bds3 enough to know when it is about to get bit by the way its action changes. that may sound crazy but i have caught more fish on that bait in the last 5 years than anything else in my box. i've caught more fish over 3lbs on it than anything except a jig or swimbait. i've thrown the rc 1.5, 2.5 and 3.5; h2o crs and crm, xcalibur, old discontinued bomber square A's 1/2oz, and several other shallow runners but when i need to upgrade, the bds 3 is on my line. it is my second favorite lure (behind a jig) for upgrading fish.

case in point a few weekends ago had been fishing all day. had been throwing shallow baits. partner was throwing an rc 1.5 and i had been throwing a jig. we needed to cull. i tied on a favorite bds3 and culled twice in 30 minutes. fishing behind the rc1.5.