FG finish help

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
green weenie
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

FG finish help

Post by green weenie » Wed Oct 18, 2023 6:30 am

Need help from the experts… I’ve become pretty proficient with the fg, finally found a technique that is working for me. I am still having problems though with the finish knots coming untied whether I’m using the risutto or alternating half hitches. Ive used 3-7 turns for the risutto and I’ve even half hitched as much as 6-8 times in my experimenting. Both are coming untied through the day and I end up with about 1/4-1/3 inch of tag line. I’m thinking it’s the YGK’s x8 thinness and smoothness that is not holding/gripping. Main Knot is still holding strong though. Thoughts?

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: FG finish help

Post by Cal » Wed Oct 18, 2023 6:51 am

That finish knot on the FG is why I abandoned the FG knot personally.

There's a finish knot I try to explain on page 2 of my writeup on PowerPro's Hollow Ace you might try.

http://www.tackletour.com/reviewpowerpr ... cepg2.html
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

dennis_rf
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by dennis_rf » Wed Oct 18, 2023 8:01 am

The finish and half hitches will undo for me as well, using mostly PE0.6 to 1.0 8 braided lines. I use a tiny bit of superglue to stop them from doing that. Just a little on the outside, not a full penetration. The main knot is not glued. Works perfectly, never failed, no loss in knot strength.
As my leader is fairly long I almost never have to re-tie the FG on the water and tie + glue the leaders at home

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Wed Oct 18, 2023 11:45 am

Same as dennis_rf for me, I used a dab of super glue to finish it up. FG knot, 4 half hitches, rizzuto with 5 or 6 loops, small amount of super glue to hold the cut off line in place (doesn't touch the actual FG knot, it's just on the hitches/rizzuto part of the knot.

Rizzuto often holds well (hours) without the super glue, but after a lot of fishing I've had the rizzuto part unwind before as it does for you.

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Wed Oct 18, 2023 4:01 pm

Not an expert in any means.

I've rarely ever had my finish knot undone on me. However I tie up very small diameter lines, especially for ice fishing. So from:

Diawa J-Braid x8 in 6# to 10# of listed diameter of .06mm to .15mm.
YGK G-Soul Upgrade X-8 14# and 16# listed diameter of .131 to .153mm.
Berkley Fireline Ultra 8 carrier .12mm 4#
Sufix 832 Ice Braid .10mm 4#
Sufix 131 G-Core 6# .14 mm
Sufix 131 G-Core 10# .20 mm
YGK G-Soul SS112 Sinking Braid .165 mm 10#
YGK G-Soul SS112 Sinking Braid .185 mm 14#

My leader is typically a 4# listed mono of diameter from .18mm to .235mm. I will go higher of upwards to an 8# listed mono of diameter from .22mm to .275mm. I will admit to using fluorocarbon leader lines for more than one season. Maybe five years old on some set up, whoops. If it ain't breaking, I just keep using it.

Okay for small thin lines, my FG knot consists of 16 wraps, 8 each side. I tie one half knot to hold, when pulling tight. Then add 4 more half hitch knots, each one reverse of the last one on leader line. 4 more half hitch knots alternating in reverse of each one. Then finish with a 4 wrap Rizutto knot. Making sure it, that it's in reverse of the last half hitch knot.

Last few years. Lately when I trim the end of the braid to like 1/8th inch. I burn it with a lighter. Also burn the end of the leader to smooth it out too.

Because I tied with a larger diameter set up. Berkly X9 50# to a 30# mono and the finishing knot began to unravel. It was just for catfishing set up, so not a lot of casting involved. So with the burned end, it actually holds much better without unraveling.
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish

green weenie
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by green weenie » Wed Oct 18, 2023 10:16 pm

Thanks all. I’ll give all those suggestions a try. Wes