Was Braided Line a Game Changer for You?

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
MK49
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Was Braided Line a Game Changer for You?

Post by MK49 » Tue Oct 17, 2023 7:51 pm

I fished this morning, and for the first time, I used an 8lbs braided line, which is white. The braided line I used between late 2000s and 2020 was 55lbs. I started using thinner braided line in the last few of years, 40, 30, 20, 10 and 8lbs (for BFS).

I had never used a braid that's not green, until this morning. I used the white one (with 6 feet 10lbs leader), which is easier to see for sure, but I didn't get a bite on this. I caught some bass with a 20lbs green braid + 16lbs leader.

The water is fairly clear, probably 6 feet clarity. Do you think the green vs white with 6' leader make difference?

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Wed Oct 18, 2023 4:15 pm

Between Fireline Crystal and Fireline Smoke, not sure if color would make any effect on catch rate. It's just pure luck and chance. Because when I used to be a spinning guy, some days one of those set up will have a much higher catch rate vs the other one. There could've have any number of other things involved but nothing to consistently say that the fish are that selective about line. I've even marker my Fireline Crystal in belief that it did. Yes red brown camouflage or Green brown black camouflage pattern.

There was a few times where the colored leader line seemed to catch more fish vs another line. Yeah, no real proof. Just pure chance on that day.
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish

MK49
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MK49 » Thu Oct 19, 2023 6:35 pm

I agree with you. It's not really a consistent thing, mostly it's a mental thing. I just started wondering, just because I've used the green braided lines for many years, and I used the white one for the first time, and didn't get a bite. BTW, I ordered the white by mistake. I thought I ordered a green one. :lol: I figured with a 6' leader, it wouldn't make a difference. And, like I mentioned, the white line is so much easier to see. I'll keep using the white one, along with green ones to see.

MK49
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MK49 » Fri Oct 20, 2023 5:23 pm

Well, I fished this morning, and caught two back to back 4 pounders with the white braided line. But, it was on a popper, so it doesn't count. :lol: Still haven't had any bite on anything that goes under the water. I fished only twice with the white one, though. :lol:

boatinpete
Angler
Angler

Post by boatinpete » Tue Oct 24, 2023 7:26 pm

Absolutely on spinning reels.

Senkobass1
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Senkobass1 » Thu Oct 26, 2023 1:32 pm

It is situational to me, incredible for super light line presentations where a long cast is required since it is so strong and thin. I feel like braid has a lack of sensitivity on slack line applications like jigs. In that case, fluoro is key for me. I love that slack line bite on fluoro on baits like the cover scat, jig, etc.

John2204
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by John2204 » Mon Oct 30, 2023 8:58 am

I remember when I first put braid on a spinning rod, I was able to cast lightly weighted plastics into those cover and not worry about breaking off, as well as not having to deal with line twist

MK49
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MK49 » Sat Nov 11, 2023 6:28 pm

I fished this morning. I was using a crankbait around riprap with bunch of sticks. I kept hitting rocks and sticks with the crankbait, and when I got bites, I could detect it immediately. I don't think I missed any bites, and I didn't think it was a bite, when I hit rocks and sticks. I don't think I can do the same without using braided lines.

MK49
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MK49 » Sun Nov 12, 2023 5:10 pm

MK49 wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2023 5:23 pm
Well, I fished this morning, and caught two back to back 4 pounders with the white braided line. But, it was on a popper, so it doesn't count. :lol: Still haven't had any bite on anything that goes under the water. I fished only twice with the white one, though. :lol:
Replying to myself. I've fished with the white braided lines about 10 times, and I've caught only one bass with the white line and a bottom contacting bait. I spent most of the time throwing topwater and crankbaits, and caught plenty with the white line.

I started thinking that the white line is a negative for slow moving baits. The water temp is dropping, and the topwater bites aren't as aggressive now in Nov. I still get topwater bites, but I can tell the fish weren't really going for it, most of the time. I missed half the bites last week. So, I have to rely on something goes deeper during this coming winter, and I just don't have enough confidence in the white line, so I just ordered more green braids. Hopefully, I get more bites. ;)

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Mon Nov 13, 2023 4:09 am

I use white braid a lot. I just color the last 5-6' of the line with a black sharpie and it hasnt affected my catch rate with bottom contact baits.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

MK49
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MK49 » Mon Nov 13, 2023 5:22 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2023 4:09 am
I use white braid a lot. I just color the last 5-6' of the line with a black sharpie and it hasnt affected my catch rate with bottom contact baits.
Interesting. I'll try that. Thanks. I kinda like the white braid, because it is definitely easier to see. But, I just didn't get as many bites with slow moving baits like soft plastics.

Heitman
Angler
Angler

Post by Heitman » Sun Dec 10, 2023 9:33 pm

Suffix Performance Braid after seeing Tackle tours braid shootout years ago. Originally used Power Pro original. I still use the Performance Braid, 832, and 131. Tried the Daiwa Samurai braid but it was way too soft/limp for flipping buckbrush. Wrapped around limbs continually. I can see benefits of it in other techniques, but i only use braid for froggin and pitchin, so cost wise i stick to Suffix.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Mon Dec 11, 2023 10:23 am

MK49 wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2023 5:22 pm
hoohoorjoo wrote:
Interesting. I'll try that. Thanks. I kinda like the white braid, because it is definitely easier to see. But, I just didn't get as many bites with slow moving baits like soft plastics.
Use a black sharpie on the first two feet of braid in front of the hook.

MK49
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MK49 » Mon Dec 18, 2023 6:00 pm

mark poulson wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2023 10:23 am
MK49 wrote:
hoohoorjoo wrote:
I just thought about it. Isn't green Sharpie better than black?

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Tue Dec 19, 2023 10:55 am

MK49 wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2023 6:00 pm
mark poulson wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2023 10:23 am
MK49 wrote:
hoohoorjoo wrote:
I just thought about it. Isn't green Sharpie better than black?
I don't know. I've always used black. Give it a try and let us know.